135 non-offset wheel & Mukluk = ??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

135 non-offset wheel & Mukluk = ??

OK, so I finally pulled the trigger and a Mukluk 2 frame is on a truck as we speak, can't wait! So I am working on my other stuff to get this beast on the trail. For cranks, I have a 100mm axle on the way for my Mr. Whirly cranks, and I have a 100mm spaced fork that will fit my front wheel/tire combo. My biggest issue is the rear wheel, as I am trying to use what I already have. The bike will be used mostly for rock crawling type stuff and some snow, so I am not concerned with ultimate flotation.

My current wheels are Hope hubs (100mm front, 135 SS/Trials rear) laced to old Stan's FR rims with Larry's mounted. Problem is the rear is not offset, so I can think of a few options. Obviously, I am trying to do this as inexpensively as possible!

1: Buy a new set of wheels, Duh! I am REALLY hoping not to have to do this, as my current budget does no allow it!

2: Use the 135mm frame adaptor (already on order). I am thinking the frame has lots of clearance, and I am using a narrow rim anyway, the tire will probably clear the frame. I can probably play with the spokes a bit and dish it some. Will the bike handle really funny with the rear tire not centered?

3: Is it possible to get a geared freehub and longer axle for the Hope SS hub to make it wider? I could then machine down the frame adaptor some to bring the wheel closer to center.

4: Take the Frame adaptor and machine it from 35mm thick to 17.5mm thick, and then make some kind of 17.5mm adaptor for the drive side of the frame, thus centering my 135mm wheel. Any ideas on this would be appreciated! I have access to CAD and a machine shop, so would like to pursue this option! I thought about some kind of axle extender, but I think that would put too much pressure on the drive side of the hub.

I am open to any suggestions, so throw them out there! And yes, at some point I will get proper 170/135 wheels, but right now I want to try something cheaper!

Thanks,
    Mark

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Return mukluk, buy a plain 29er, do a fat front conversion. What you're looking to do will not be cost effective, nor a good use for a mukluk frameset. Try an El Mariachi instead.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Use the Mukluk adaptor as purchased, get the rear wheel re-laced with the proper offset. As you have the rim and hub already you can probably get the wheel relaced for under $80

mtbr member
    You're looking at a whole lot of hassle when you could just relace the wheel, or just buy the appropriate wheel.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    Return mukluk, buy a plain 29er, do a fat front conversion. What you're looking to do will not be cost effective, nor a good use for a mukluk frameset. Try an El Mariachi instead.
    ??? How is this not a good use of a Mukluk frame? I have gone through several iterations of semi-fat and fat front bikes with 29er frames and am finally stepping up to a proper fatbike frame. I am just trying to use what I have as far as wheels are concerned.

Thanks anyway

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    You're looking at a whole lot of hassle when you could just relace the wheel, or just buy the appropriate wheel.
    I do like the idea of relacing the rear wheel, that sounds like the most cost effective solution. The only thing I don't like is that it would than only useable on this frame. Buying a new wheel is going to set me back what, like $300?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Since you already have the adapter coming, just buy an offset 135 wheel. There's a brand new one (Marge w/XT hub) on eBay for $179 Buy it Now, or look for a used one.

Living the thug life.
    Relacing your current wheel is easier said then done. With the required 17.5mm offset you'll need a rim with at least some offset to minimize the uneven tension you'll get from the large offset. I haven't a clue what rim you are running, but if it is offset already, relacing the rim facing the other direction will go a ways to accomplishing the proper offset. I doubt you'll want/be happy/be able to run the rear wheel as is.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    Since you already have the adapter coming, just buy an offset 135 wheel. There's a brand new one (Marge w/XT hub) on eBay for $179 Buy it Now, or look for a used one.
    You've been watching ebay for fat wheels too ha. Did you see those fat sheba's, I want to know if someone on here bought them. I lost out on them due to ebay mobile being slow

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike View Post
    You've been watching ebay for fat wheels too ha. Did you see those fat sheba's, I want to know if someone on here bought them. I lost out on them due to ebay mobile being slow
    Holding out for Marge Lites. Any day now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    ??? How is this not a good use of a Mukluk frame? I have gone through several iterations of semi-fat and fat front bikes with 29er frames and am finally stepping up to a proper fatbike frame. I am just trying to use what I have as far as wheels are concerned.

Thanks anyway
    Mukluk2 Frameset = $650
    Mukluk 135 Adapter = $45

You don't need the fork, since you're using your own. You could have just got a 9Zero7 frame for $500, then you'd have an extra $195 in the budget for a proper rear wheel.

Edit: I'm not thinking before posting. Sell Mukluk fork for $100 and existing rear hub, return adapter. Buy 170mm rear hub and relace existing rim to it. That'll be the easiest/cheapest/strongest way to get the result you want.
    Last edited by JAGI410; 11-29-2011 at 06:08 PM.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    [QUOTE
    You don't need the fork, since you're using your own. You could have just got a 9Zero7 frame for $500, then you'd have an extra $195 in the budget for a proper rear wheel.[/QUOTE]

Doubt that he could get a 9 Zero 7 this year, not many frames left. Can't say that I "settled for" a Mukluk, but didn't pull the trigger fast enough for the other.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    here you go

Pugsley wheel experiments | Pedaling in Place

looks like you could maybe use an non offset wheel, lowered bb might be a problem

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    Mukluk2 Frameset = $650
    Mukluk 135 Adapter = $45

You don't need the fork, since you're using your own. You could have just got a 9Zero7 frame for $500, then you'd have an extra $195 in the budget for a proper rear wheel.

Edit: I'm not thinking before posting. Sell Mukluk fork for $100 and existing rear hub, return adapter. Buy 170mm rear hub and relace existing rim to it. That'll be the easiest/cheapest/strongest way to get the result you want.
    I looked into this already, and unfortunately, none of the 907 frames are available in my size, so not an option right now.