1200g Origin8 Devist8er 2 ?!?!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

1200g Origin8 Devist8er 2 ?!?!

I just was looking for any updated reviews on the Devist8er and found this on Bike Rumor, can't believe this wasn't posted before... maybe it was and I missed it.

Folding bead version 120tpi 1200g msrp $55

Project Fatbike: Origin-8 Devist-8er 26 x 4.0 FatbikeTires - Bike Rumor

Anyone know when these will be available?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thats pretty light. I wonder where they saved the weight?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    800 grams difference between the wire and kevlar beads. I guess those wire beaded tires will never blow off a rim
    Latitude 61

That Unicycle Guy
    Oct 2008
    I have 3 of the "old" folding Devist8ors, weigh between 1860 and 1880g each.

My guess is they mostly saved weight off the casing, which is super thick on mine. feels about twice as thick as a 120 TPI Larry.

I am surprised they didn't jack up the price on the new high TPI version.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ericpulvermacher View Post

My guess is they mostly saved weight off the casing, which is super thick on mine. feels about twice as thick as a 120 TPI Larry.

I am surprised they didn't jack up the price on the new high TPI version.
    Make that the amount of rubber coating the outside of the casing. Thick rubber on the sidewalls and tread base of the first tires.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Seems like the wire bead version is keeping the current burly construction while the updated kevlar bead version will have things put on a serious diet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I love my gen1. I will definitely be ordering a set! I'm already passing people with my 9lb wheels... sign me up.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    At that price and that weight, I'm very interested.

Is there any info on availability?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I can find nothing. Even the main website still doesn't have the first 4.0 version. Only the mtb version.
    If there's an Origin-8 rep lurking please advise me how to get these to Canada. I want to run them in a 35k race April14th that ends with a 1/4 mile mudslide.
    Shane

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I found one vendor online that claims to have the listed part number in stock but I'm guessing they are the old heavy version not the newer lighter one and that origin8 just didn't change the part number for the new model. Most bike shops should be able to get in contact with J&B about ordering those part numbers and find out a date right?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    well not sure how it worked but I just did another google search for the part number and after a few clicks on the link somehow ended up in the J&B dealer only tire ordering page. This is what is listed

59411 ORIGIN8 Devist-8er 2 Mountain 26x2.1 559 Fold Belted BK/GRY 65 800 60 N/A
    59469 ORIGIN8 Devist-8er 2 Mountain 26x4.0 559 Wire Belted BK/BLK 30 2000 60 N/A
    59470 ORIGIN8 Devist-8er 2 Mountain 26x4.0 559 Fold Belted BK/BLK 30 60 N/A
    59412 ORIGIN8 Devist-8er 29er Mountain 29x2.2 622 Fold Belted BK/WHT N/A Coming Soon
    59616 ORIGIN8 Devist-8er UL N/A Coming Soon
    59617 ORIGIN8 Devist-8er UL N/A Coming Soon

The 26x2.1 is the only one in stock.

Clicking on the link for the Devist-8er UL I find this

Invoice Description TIRES OR8 DEVST UL 26x4.0 FOLD BK/BK
    Brand Name: ORIGIN8
    Supplier Part #
    UPC Code 072774596164
    HTS Number 4011.50.0000
    Part # 59616
    Your Price: N/A
    Regular Price: N/A
    Coming Soon
    ETA 04/26/2012

The other is a 29x2.2

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by woodi2259 View Post
    Invoice Description TIRES OR8 DEVST UL 26x4.0 FOLD BK/BK
    Brand Name: ORIGIN8
    Supplier Part #
    UPC Code 072774596164
    HTS Number 4011.50.0000
    Part # 59616
    Your Price: N/A
    Regular Price: N/A
    Coming Soon
    ETA 04/26/2012

The other is a 29x2.2

Thank you sir, a better searcher than I.

Late April eh? guess I just have to wait.

mtbr member
    I gotta try this one.
    The LPG

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Origin8 is run by J&B Importers, catalog is public.

http://www.jbimporters.com/web/Advan...fkawe45d9drh=4

Looks like 3 options for the Devist8er, nothing in stock yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    hmm maybe i am missing something but I just checked my bike and I have these tires on my bike....Maybe it is the rum talking but from everything I can tell I have them

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Yeah I realized the J&B catalog was public after I posted that. For some reason the first time I tried to go to it from a google search it prompted me for a dealer log in.

jnl1105 what do yours weigh? My guess would be you have the version that weighs 1800g+ (folding or steel) not the supposedly new 1200g version.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jnl1105 View Post
    hmm maybe i am missing something but I just checked my bike and I have these tires on my bike....Maybe it is the rum talking but from everything I can tell I have them
    Are you sure you have the little red 2 at the end???- can you weigh a complete front wheel, or better yet, tire alone?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ericpulvermacher View Post
    my "old" weight 1460

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Loewa View Post
    my "old" weight 1460
    Nice.. When/where did you buy them? I found some for sale online with the same part number as the ones that are listed as light above but I had a feeling they were going to be 1800g when they showed up. Figured the UL stood for ultra light and was the 1200g version and had a new part number and they just screwed up the literature I posted above.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by roobydoo View Post
    Are you sure you have the little red 2 at the end???- can you weigh a complete front wheel, or better yet, tire alone?
    sure does have 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    When/where did you buy them?
    I bought on Ebay in December, it seems...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Loewa View Post
    I bought on Ebay in December, it seems...
    Me too. It seems mine have the small red 2 as well... I never bothered to check the weight on them. Now it seems I'll have to take one off to weigh it!

Human Test Subject
    Just did a quick search on ebay and there are some for 50 bucks a piece with the 2. Free shipping too. I would spring for some but I'm gonna wait to see how they fit on someone else's clownshoes first.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    My wheels are 4" wide / 100mm look at my album and I have a pic on there of them, the tire is almost 4 3/8 inch wide at full inflation

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

mounted on 100mm wide

here are some pics on the wheels
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1200g Origin8 Devist8er 2 ?!?!-tire-1.jpg  

1200g Origin8 Devist8er 2 ?!?!-tire-2.jpg  

1200g Origin8 Devist8er 2 ?!?!-tire3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    there doesn't seem to be a way to tell the models apart with out demounting the tires either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'm thinking the two was actually there all along. I believe this is the original Origin8 Devist8er

so the lightweight version is most likely a second version of the fat bike tire but it would seem as if they all display the 2....

I'm thinking looking at what J&B says they have in stock on their website (nothing) that they made the original run last fall/summer whenever it was and those are the tires that are still for sale at a few bike shops and on ebay. They are all the 1800g version. With Loewa getting lucky with a light one. The next run of tires is due out at the end of april and will have the updated version. Purely all speculation but it makes sense to me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

weight

here a pic of actual weight of my tire. with conversion it seems to be at 2000 grams

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    my friend and I are very interested in these tires - we currently have Nates on 2012 907s and think the Nates may be overkill for the upcoming (hopefully!) dry summer conditions. Is there any info out there that confirms if the 1200 gram versions (late April release) will maintain the Kevlar casing or is it likely that they will do away with the Kevlar casing? In some respects, I am tempted to just buy the burlier version if the lightweight version is going to be susceptible to sidewall tears. Plan to use this tire in typical NEPA rocky singletrack. Thanks for your help,

mtbr member
    i just put these one my Pugsley two days ago and just did the first 30 mile gravel grinder on them. i think i had a little to much air in them but over all i like them. Handled the corners well and the bumpy gravel roads. Should hit the trail in a day or two with them.

i got the cheap ones from Bikeman for like 44 each.

so far so good

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Update on J&B website is now listing 1350g, 120tpi casing and 4/26 still as the arrival date. I'm planning on getting me a pair when they pop if the price is still super low.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Anyone have an updated ETA on the 1350g version?
    =========================================
    Minnesota Off Road Cyclists www.morcmtb.org

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I checked the website today and was wondering too. We're past that 4/26 date now.

mtbr member
    Interesting.... didn't notice the "Devist8er UL" (Ultralight?) designation before. I'd love to get one of these for the front end of my Pug.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    they are showing up on amazon now too but no stock or price yet

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ce-full-site=1

Just hit it with speed
    Very interested in this tire.

Anyone with the older version, either the kevlar or wire, have any experience with them tubeless?

Does the tread wear well or are they just really tough sidewalls?
    Don't hate on the minivan!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Got a devist8r UL on order through the LBS. They quoted me $45 but I'm seeing it's going for $85 on amazon. I hope they ordered me the right one. Should be here on friday so we will see. I'll be sure to post a review when it shows up.

9:zero:7
    $45 sounds too good to be true. I wish you luck. If that is the case it will redefine the whole fat tire market. Let us know. Thanks for the info.
    Only the dead fish swims with the current!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Seriously?
    I checked this site for months almost every other day! Now that I paid full bore for a HuDu it finally comes out?
    http://www.jbimporters.com/web/Advan...fkawe45d9drh=4

nvphatty
    WOW time to let them loose.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Open the gates and unchain this beast. Snow, dirt, sand and mud are no match for the Devist8er 26 x 4.0 monster. This gargantuan is offered in a folding and wire bead and weighs in at approximately 1350 grams. There might be lighter tires out there but none stronger or less expensive. This tire is layered with Kevlar for extra protection against thorns, branches, lions or whatever else you happen to run over. Finally, it takes up to 30 lbs of tire pressure and can be ordered through your local bike shop. These monsters are in stock now to smash the next snow season. Watch your back because the devist8ion is upon us!

Part# 59616

(Origin-8 does not condone animal cruelty in any form. Please, for your own safety do not attempt to run over a lion).
    ORIGIN-8

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Followup - my previous link is legit, got an Amazon ship notice.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    Followup - my previous link is legit, got an Amazon ship notice.
    seriously 22.50 shipping?? no savings there with that crap.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    seriously 22.50 shipping?? no savings there with that crap.
    Shoulda mentioned that, my bad.

It's over $100 after ship.

nvphatty
    Shoulda mentioned that, my bad.

It's over $100 after ship.
    now worries DD just a lill vent on my part.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Yeah I feel ya.

Dinner for wolves
    Can you circumvent shipping by buying through your LBS?
    Responds to gravity

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    Can you circumvent shipping by buying through your LBS?
    seems doable. I did a search for their retailers and have a few in my area so i'll check it.

mtbr member
    Anyone running these? How do they compair to something like the Husker Du?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by f00g View Post
    Anyone running these? How do they compair to something like the Husker Du?
    Unfortunately I have not mounted my HuDu on the front yet, but switching from original Devist-8er on the back to Surly's Nate I noticed better traction but it's slower.
    They worked ok, and I could ride almost anywhere I wanted, but the original were heavy, Cost wise I think the UL version are good value for the money, Possibly not the best, but at an equivalent weight and 2/3 or less the price of others it's good. Had I not just gone for the HuDu I would currently be ordering a set.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    You can definitely order through your LBS. They are sold by J&B which most bike shops have access to and currently are all shipping out of their Florida warehouse so may take an extra couple days to show up compared to normal overnight J&B service.

I thought my tire was going to be in on friday but it looks like shipping took a little longer and it's now scheduled to show up today. Unfortunately the bike shop I ordered through is a half hour away so it might be a few days before I can make it over there to pick it up. They originally quoted me $45 for the tire which I suspect is actually the heavier tire price but then confirmed that what I wanted was the UL while he was placing the order, so I think he ordered correctly, just don't know what will happen to the price if I order another.

nvphatty
    You can definitely order through your LBS. They are sold by J&B which most bike shops have access to and currently are all shipping out of their Florida warehouse so may take an extra couple days to show up compared to normal overnight J&B service.
    any other suppliers in the event my LBS isn't registered with J&B??

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Has anyone had one of these tires show up yet? My LBS ordered last wednesday received confirmation but order still hasn't come in from J&B. He thought it was going to show up last friday and a week later, still nothing. He's trying to get answers from his J&B rep but no news yet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I've got two on order with my local shop that are supposed to come in today. I'll let you know if they actually get here.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    I have a tracking number with USPS - which of course means jack squat.

mtbr member
    I have a tracking number with USPS - which of course means jack squat.
    Ige feeling. I have a tracking number for my rear wheel, but either the USPS isn't tracking or the guy hasn't mailed it yet. I'm preset uneasy since it was my first EBay purchase.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    That's how USPS tracking is. Here's the process I usually get.

1) Order product.
    2) Email: here's a USPS tracking number!
    3) USPS.com - "I don't know what that tracking number is."
    3) Several days go by, while the product is shipping.
    4) Check USPS.com again. "I know what that tracking number is. I got shipping info. Got nothin' for ya."
    4) Product arrives. I go, "cool!", and experience elation or buyer's remorse.
    5) Email, sometimes soon after, usually later: your product has arrived! Check out all these cool stops it made! I bet you're wondering when it arrived. It arrived NOW, that's when! Wasn't that fast?!

That said, I try to be very kind to USPS employees, they didn't write the shitty software.

Wizard of the Trail
    USPS tracking blows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

nvphatty
    for those that await USPS delivery from whomever is the pricing decent??

Living the thug life.
    I know I got the heavy jobbers. They weighed in a little over 2,000 grams. However, I can't imagine ever getting a flat with that casing!

They don't look all that big in my hand (insert joke here), but I would be shocked if they knocked out enough material to bring it in the 1,300 range.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Just got a call from the LBS, tire just showed up. Only a week late but it's there now. Just have to figure out when I can make it down to the not so local LBS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Well, my local bike shop got the tires in for me. I did however refuse them.

Origin8 Devist8er UL
    - Advertised as 1350g
    - Packaging listed 1750 +/- 60g
    - Actual weight 1960g

The end weight vs the advertised weights are an obscene difference.

Origin8 has to get their product way closer to spec to be able to compete with Innova tires.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Huh, yeah, 45% is quite a disparity. I'll post up my weight when I get it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle01 View Post

Origin8 Devist8er UL
    - Advertised as 1350g
    - Actual weight 1960g

Origin8 has to get their product way closer to spec to be able to compete with Innova tires.
    Did those tires say UL or 2 on the sidewall? I know the 2 are supposed to be that heavy... UL are supposed to be 1350.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Oh yeah, the sticker price, literally, was $68.99 on the packaging.

nvphatty
    Oh yeah, the sticker price, literally, was $68.99 on the packaging.
    great price horrific weight disparity.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yes, they said Devist8er 2 UL on the sidewall. That's why I was confused by all the different weights from advertised, tagged, and actual.

nvphatty
    Yes, they said Devist8er 2 UL on the sidewall. That's why I was confused by all the different weights from advertised, tagged, and actual.
    bum deal for sure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Darn that sucks. I'll update when I see what mine weigh. I'll probably take it anyways if the price is still $45 like they quoted me and see what happens.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Origin8 Devist8er UL
    - Advertised as 1350g
    - Actual weight 1960g

Same as my pre-ultralight tire. Looks like the factory was trying to cheat, I would think that would be worth a return, even if you were hoping to get it on the bike soon!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Here is the listing from the online catalog
    They show the 2 and the UL
    Interested to see if the weights are right or not.

59469 Devist-8er 2 ORIGIN8 Devist-8er 2 Mountain 26x4.0 559 Wire Belted BK/BLK 30 2000 60 N/A

59616 Devist-8er UL ORIGIN8 Devist-8er UL Mountain 26x4.0 559 Fold BK/BK 40 1350 120 N/A

nvphatty
    Darn that sucks. I'll update when I see what mine weigh. I'll probably take it anyways if the price is still $45 like they quoted me and see what happens.
    and the verdict is??

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I was out of town all weekend. Should be picking it up either today or tomorrow. Will post once I've got it.

nvphatty
    gracias senor

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Origin8 Devist8er UL
    - Advertised as 1350g
    - Actual weight 1960g

Did they have a folding or wire bead?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I ordered a set last week for my wife's bike that are the UL version. When I picked them up, I thought they seemed really heavy.... but never weighed them. I will do that tonight and see what I find out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Mine were the folding bead.

These were definitely supposed to be their lightest version (i.e. folding, Kevlar, Ultralight).

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Well I picked mine up last night. Then I went for a night ride (not on my fatty) and stopped for a drink so I haven't played with them much, but here's the initial damning report. Origin8 is full of ****, these things are just as much boat anchors as the original version. I bought the tire anyways since the shop had been really helpful in getting them and I'm not one to make a stink. I just have a cheap fishing scale for weighing things and still in the packaging they tipped the scale somewhere in the neighborhood of 1900g. I'll be mounting it up on a 47mm rim tonight to see if it'll fit in my fat fork build that I purchased it for.

Here it is still in the package

And the label

Ultralight series right on the sidewall

nvphatty
    Thanks much for the update however damning it is. Seems the UL = ultra lame for the price compared to some other donuts coming our way they are a deal but with a weight penalty.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Yeah I paid $53 with tax for mine. So definitely a lot cheaper than the alternatives but certainly not the great bargain we were all hoping for when these were actually going to be somewhat lighter.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    That sucks. You sure the placard and rubber band holding it together doesn't weigh 700 grams?
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil View Post
    That sucks. You sure the placard and rubber band holding it together doesn't weigh 700 grams?
    LOL.
    This porker's taken a few hikes as time went on, originally listed as 1200g (hence the thread title) and then 1350G, and now stickered as 1730g and weighing the same as the old tire at 1900g!
    So... all we get is a new sidewall logo?

And btw. thanks to the folks/guinea pigs who bought these first for reporting back.

Nemophilist
    Hey;

I have no idea which version of the HuDu I am riding now, and I'm not sure I care. I'd like to have the lightest feasible stuff like everyone else. Then again, many of us are subjecting these bikes to use that our other bikes don't get because they cant be ridden there! When it comes to this rough riding, a little heavier does not matter anymore, and the more off the beaten path you get, the less it does. In these realms, light weight is a drawback because it comes hand-in-hand with less reliability.

Like an old farm tractor with a huge honkin heavy flywheel on it, these big wheels will plow their way through stuff that just stops other bikes dead. So bring on the bulk, reliability, and toughness, and just ROLL ON!

Last edited by TrailMaker; 10-10-2012 at 05:44 PM.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    Hey;

I have no idea which version of the HuDu I am writing now, and I'm not sure I care. I'd like to have the lightest feasible stuff like everyone else. Then again, many of us are subjecting these bikes to use that our other bikes don't get because they cant be ridden there! When it comes to this rough riding, a little heavier does not matter anymore, and the more off the beaten path you get, the less it does. In these realms, light weight is a drawback because it comes hand-in-hand with less reliability.

Like an old farm tractor with a huge honkin heavy flywheel on it, these big wheels will plow their way through stuff that just stops other bikes dead. So bring on the bulk, reliability, and toughness, and just ROLL ON!
    Agreed to an extent however now we must jump the fence and deal with the reality this product did not deliver as advertised, hence for those that do desire lighter weight and seek it by digging deep in their pocket why not receive it??

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I sent an email to Origin8 asking about the false claims. I don't expect a response. I just hope when I mount it on my trials rim tonight and pump it full of air it fits between the legs of my project fork and I'll be happy for the time being.

nvphatty
    I sent an email to Origin8 asking about the false claims. I don't expect a response. I just hope when I mount it on my trials rim tonight and pump it full of air it fits between the legs of my project fork and I'll be happy for the time being.
    As did I.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Not to bash on Origin8 unfairly, but isn't this kind of their business model? How many items have they come out with that end up being heavier than the claimed weight. Maybe their scales are wrong...place emoticon here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    So I weighed mine last night. I have one weigh 1760 and one was 1850. I talked to J&B and the person I talked to was unaware of there being a problem with the listing or the weights being off. He said he would pass the information along to correct the listing.... my guess is they are pretty aware of it.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatty In Hamilton View Post
    I talked to J&B and the person I talked to was unaware of there being a problem with the listing or the weights being off. He said he would pass the information along to correct the listing.... my guess is they are pretty aware of it.
    happy horsie caca

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I got this back from origin8
    Good afternoon. Thank you for your loyalty to Origin-8. I apologize for the mis-information. When this tire was originally designed, the weight was supposed to be the 1350g. As the production was finalized, it came in at 1750 grams which is why the sticker was added to the packaging. Unfortunately, the website did not get updated until recently, not because we wanted to mis-lead anyone, but just an oversight. Our main priority with the Devist8er tire was to make a quality tire at a more affordable price point than what was out on the market. And while we met that goal, we did over look making the change on all the places the photo and information is listed. Hopefully, we have corrected all of the places that are able to be changed.

Please let me know if I can answer any more questions for you. I look forward to helping you!

Thanks and happy riding!
    The post on their website is now updated to match.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have one of these tires en route to me as well. I hate to burden the shop and myself with the return and complaints but if none of us do, Origin 8/J&B will cackle all the way to bank.

A profitable/beneficial oversight is always questionable. If they thought perceived it as a potentially costly oversight, I suspect they'd be more motivated to catch it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I as well have sent them an email.

If indeed the tires I was to recieve had been around the 1750g as on the package I would have paused to thing about it. But, in the end I would not have bought them. My goal was to have a lighter tire. Apparently this another "pick two of the three" scenarios. If I would have known that by correct advertising and listing I would respect their company more.

Oh by the way, I just looked at their website. They corrected the listing on the blog section, but not on the actual tire listing page.

Anchorage, AK
    Amazon has some marked UL in the picture. This might be a legitimate source. I have had good luck with Niagra Cycles through Amazon:

Amazon.com: Origin8 Devist-8er UL Tire - 26" x 4.0, Folding, Black/Black: Sports & Outdoors

Nemophilist
    Hey;

I agree that they should not have been so loose with their fantasy facts and figures before they actually knew what they were going to be in reality. Not a good marketing strategy, for sure. For those who feel duped, I hear ya. For those who manned up and grabbed the ankles to give your LBS a break, good on ya!
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

Wizard of the Trail
    Most times you get what you pay for. If I knew the price was around 60 bucks for a 1200gram tire with a Kevlar casing, I would be skeptical. There is no free lunch. I have these tires in the folding bead before the UL label came out. Great tires for the money for sure. What really gets me is when you shell out a 100 dollars plus for tires that are not accurate in weight or size, swells or any other anomaly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Ran the heavy devastators all spring and summer...

Pros - no punctures, no pinch flats, no flats period
    Cons - heavy at a listed 2000 grams and I have read that some tires weighted in at over 2100 grams each. I have not had the guts or inclination to put these bad boys on a scale.
    Pros - these tires were so heavy that after re-installing my Nates for the upcoming rain/winter season the bike seems to pedal so easy compared to the Origin 8 boat anchors. Still, the tire at $45 is an incredible value and may last longer than me!!

Wizard of the Trail
    They are man tires baby! Lol

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Got mine today - same sidewall as woodi2259 - came out to 1832 grams including zip tie.

Well, I have a tough ass tire for doing tough things now.

nvphatty
    Got mine today - same sidewall as woodi2259 - came out to 1832 grams including zip tie.

Well, I have a tough ass tire for doing tough things now.
    Did you also pay $53??

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Did you also pay $53??
    Nnnnnnnnnnnnnope. Double that.

Mmm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Well this tires may be made of lead but they are monsters on the trail. I finally got to test ride mine last night on a 47mm trials rim in my newly built Bomber Z1 fat fork. The combo had amazing traction and rolled along quite easily. It had rained during the day and I was riding on wet slippery leaf covered trails with lots of roots and corduroy. The devsit8er was glued to the trail up front while the endo on the rear was slip sliding all over the place. (I'm thinking I may swap the endo for the larry I took off the front). The whole setup was a blast to ride and the new tire and sus fork really brought a new element of fun to the pugs.

One thing to note is the casing is burly on these tires... I mean burly... It's been mentioned before but this casing is unbelievably thick and stiff. I was running at 5psi (front) and wasn't getting much bulge out of the sidewalls. It seemed to ride great at that pressure and maybe you don't need to flatten it out as much since the tread is already fairly flat but 5psi on the trail with little sidewall bulge seemed rather crazy to me.

nvphatty
    I *****ed, pissed and moaned about the bad advertised weight but ended up buying a pr but have yet to mount them however it sounds as though the durability factor may be a good thing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    To be fair, I could rim strike all day long and never once had a pinch flat with these. The biggest plus would be that they are very tough, ride them when you are worried about bad terrain.

Titanium junkie
    Well, just got mine tonight and mounted 1 on the back,
    Larry in front. Found that between the Endo and Devistator, I couldn't really
    tell that big of a weight difference. Riding this thing is another matter, rolls well
    and hooks up fantastic. Have another one and I am undecided on putting it on because
    the Larry in front and the Origin8 in back work very well together.Far as I am concerned, it's a
    Fat bike so a little more weight really isn't making a huge difference to me.
    I will be running these from now on.....
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

JYB
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've been running the original full-heft tires front and rear for the last 4 months. They provide great traction, are tough, and are heavy. Who cares if they're heavy? They'll just make you stronger. They work pretty damn well on super rocky trails. If you're being a weight weenie and are going for a speed record, then go buy something that's super light at 3x the price. Will those more pricy tires provide a more supple and slightly faster ride? Maybe, but I don't care. For most riding situations these tires work great. I personally think it's nice to have some affordable options. I hope Vee Rubber continues to come out with more fat variety. At some places you can get them for less than $40. Buy some.

nvphatty
    A pr of NOT UL's in my posession and be fitted fri. $129 total

Anyone running the UL versions on Clown Shoes on a Moonlander... with pictures?

The $60 shipped price tag on Amazon is just too tempting. I'm just wondering if the clown shoe will spread them out too much if they are a lower tire?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Anybody know if these are available in the uk?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Can we get some pics of these tires mounted up?

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    Can we get some pics of these tires mounted up?
    been trying for the last hr, blew tire off the rim then the tube blew...FAAK!! now trying to get the tire to seat but won't in 1 area i'm using soapy water but it hasn't helped yet and i'll be damned if i blow another $8 tube.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    These things are a PIA to mount. I blew it off the first time then was real careful the second time and got it on the rim. I've ridden on it a half dozen times now but I'm still not sure the bead is seated properly. It still wobbles a bit. The bead is really small.

And some pictures

On the bike

up closer

and closer

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Just ordered a set of the non-Ultralights, $70 from niagara cycle. Should be 100-200g heavier than the ultralights, but much cheaper.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by alexkraemer View Post
    Just ordered a set of the non-Ultralights, $70 from niagara cycle. Should be 100-200g heavier than the ultralights, but much cheaper.
    Be interested to see how those come in. Are they still folding bead?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Nope, they're wire (according to the website). But, as we've seen lately, the website isn't the most reliable source of information....

nvphatty
    These things are a PIA to mount. I blew it off the first time then was real careful the second time and got it on the rim. I've ridden on it a half dozen times now but I'm still not sure the bead is seated properly. It still wobbles a bit. The bead is really small.
    Yup not the most friendly tire to mount thats for freekin sure. After having trouble with the one tire i decided to try the 2nd one on the same rim and went on much easier. Went to seat the PITA first tire again and while it wasn't perfect my hope is it may eventually work it's magic with some off roading miles and be fine. Q control comes to mind.

nvphatty

Update

Just a follow up to getting them seated with a minor tweak in the rear otherwise once out for a few rides and 8psi in both everything is right with the world for hard packed ST, rock embedded trails, desert sand just keeps on truckin while the full suss 2.2 bike would have been buried.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

$52 on sale... 2 of these and 2 tubes for the price of one Larry...

Origin-8 Devist-8er Ultralight 26 Inch Fat Bike Tire at BikeTiresDirect

I don't think you can go wrong at that price and free delivery.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootboiler View Post
    Origin-8 Devist-8er Ultralight 26 Inch Fat Bike Tire at BikeTiresDirect

I don't think you can go wrong at that price and free delivery.
    Sadly the bogus advertised ultralight moniker is still in play and it's far from it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Sadly the bogus advertised ultralight moniker is still in play and it's far from it.
    I am with you on that, but a decent tire at $52, vs a regular Larry at $90 or so these days.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootboiler View Post
    I am with you on that, but a decent tire at $52, vs a regular Larry at $90 or so these days.
    yes hence the reason i went with them. I would be remiss if I didn't say they have performed well on the trail conditions I encounter.

bigger than you.
    my LBS is selling them for $57, shipped: Origin8 Devist 8ER Folding Fat Bike Mountain Tire Black 26 x 4 0 XC Snow Dirt MU | eBay
    I debated getting these instead of the snowshoes on my 9:zero:7, but the weight weenie in me won out. We weighed some and they averaged about 1440g. Given how the snowshoes have the habit of sliding laterally, I kinda wished I'd gotten these instead.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    my LBS is selling them for $57, shipped: Origin8 Devist 8ER Folding Fat Bike Mountain Tire Black 26 x 4 0 XC Snow Dirt MU | eBay
    I debated getting these instead of the snowshoes on my 9:zero:7, but the weight weenie in me won out. We weighed some and they averaged about 1440g. Given how the snowshoes have the habit of sliding laterally, I kinda wished I'd gotten these instead.
    I haven't tried the Snowshoes but trust me that you made the right decision as Devist8ers are the worst tires ever made. I wouldn't use them again if they paid me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jnroyal View Post
    I haven't tried the Snowshoes but trust me that you made the right decision as Devist8ers are the worst tires ever made. I wouldn't use them again if they paid me.
    Definitely not the worst. I've got an Endo and Larry that are useless to me in winter, but am currently using the Devist8er in the rear.

It's heavy, not real compliant, and steers weird on pavement or hard pack. But it is also very tough, with sturdy sidewalls that hold up to ultra low pressures well. At ~220 lbs riding weight, I'll run 2 pounds in the Devist8er, getting a very large footprint for a tire it's size. Notably wider than the Nate on the front, though the knobs aren't as grabby as the Nate.

In lighter snow on off camber, I found it held its line well as a front tire. It's got it's faults, but it's not all bad.

Members who have read this thread: 1