Are 100mm rims lame now? Clown shoes discontinued?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

New question here. Are 100mm rims lame now? Clown shoes discontinued?

I've been thinking of going from 80mm to 100mm wheels recently, but I noticed that Surly seems to have stopped selling the Clown Shoes, and the ICT comes with 80mm rims now. 80mm also seems to be typical for other companies' bikes. I've also read various posts here expressing some level of regret at going with 100mm, saying that they're only helpful in the very softest environments and a drag anywhere else.

Are people and manufacturers reaching some kind of consensus that 80mm is the way to go for the vast majority of fat bike scenarios, and anything much above (or below) that is too niche?

Or maybe I'm totally misinterpreting the situation? I've heard rumors that Surly will be introducing tubeless ready versions of the Clown Shoe and Marge Lite sometime soon.

I go super slow regardless of the season and primarily aim to roll over everything like a tank, so I feel like I'm probably still a good candidate for wider wheels, unless it turns out that going past 80mm really doesn't confer meaningful increases in bulldozing ability. If 100mm is being deprecated, I might try to get some soon while quality ones are still generally available at reasonable prices. (though, anyone know where you can actually buy an Alex Blizzerk 100?)

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the current market situation, or on what the current feelings on rim width are given the present mature state of the fat bike ecosystem. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Run what is best fit for you, why overthink it.

For float wider is always better. Narrower rims work better in summer. 80mm is a compromise, but the difference isn't huge.

Rippin da fAt
    In my experience, 100's are optimal for floating in the loose stuff.
    100mm rims are offered by many makers.
    80's are a great for many types of riding on 4.8's or 4's.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    blizzerk 100 would be awesome, if it was available.

for now, i run blizzerk 90's in the winter w/ 4.6.

otherwise, i run 4" on scraper/kom/mulefut 50 in the summer and lythic 70's when it is wet.
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I run hundo's on my 2xl build for loose snow riding and they are awesome! Been running hundo's for years in the winter.

Other bike has a set of 65s and a set of 80s. I like the 65s more in the warmer months as it gives the tire a rounder profile for dirt.
    =========================================
    Minnesota Off Road Cyclists www.morcmtb.org

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    The Surly ICT has been coming with 80mm rims since 2017, so that is not new. Only the first (blue sparkle) ICT came with 100s, and even then, only in the expensive build when more than one were offered. I highly doubt 100mm rims are going anywhere and they will always be available for those who want to run the widest tires.

80 does seem like a good size though, a 4" on an 80 looks better to me than a 65, and 80s still fit a 4.8" tire fine, although a 100 provides the widest stance and profile.

This place needs an enema
    100's are as awesome as ever. They just aren't for everyone.

I stockpiled a bunch when Surly started to phase 'em out. Will be able to take care of people for a few years.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I find that running a bigger (bigger than 4 and up) tire on skinnier rims only gives marginal benefits, the sidewall support isnít there and at lower pressures the tire doesnít remain rigid enough to work well. You get a bit more float and traction, but itís not a big improvement because your rim width is limiting. 80 is the min Iíd go with 4.5-ish tires and optimally 90-100.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Human Test Subject
    Clownshoes are an old design and way heavier than MOBDs.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    Clownshoes are an old design and way heavier than MOBDs.

Clownshoes are also 20mm wider. Like, a totally different rim, and ride.

Human Test Subject
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Clownshoes are also 20mm wider. Like, a totally different rim, and ride.
    Yeah that's my point. If they just made MOBDs 20mm wider they'd be lighter than clownshoes and also tubeless compatible. Non-tubeless rims are dead.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

Yeah that's my point. If they just made MOBDs 20mm wider they'd be lighter than clownshoes and also tubeless compatible. Non-tubeless rims are dead.

Believe it or not, there are lots of people whom still run tubes in winter. And they have good reasons for doing so.

When there is a 100mm tubeless ready rim readily available, *then* Clownshoes will be dead. Or at least very affordable.

Until then, they remain awesome.

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Just gonna say, been running split tube on ClownShoes for many years, not sure what's not to like, it's been pretty much flawless.

Might not be "modern tubeless", but if it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, and weighs a few grams more, perhaps, it's just a fat duck?
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

turtles make me hot
    Yep. My beach wheels have been split tubeless Clownshoes for a really long time now. Not a single problem ever.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    100mm Clownshoe rims on 4.8" Jumbo Jims are to date the best set up for beach riding, both on sand and slimy seaweed covered rocks, and also loose `Baby Head` stones we get here on the Scottish East coast

There is a 100mm tubeless ready rim available by DT Swiss, a friend Sanny had them on his ICT but near destroyed them with flat spots riding rock gardens so guess their probably ideal for snow/sand only,

Battered hell out my clown shoes on rocks at 4 psi and i think the split tube option is ideal as it actually provides a buffer layer for the rim, and if you bust a spoke or spoke nipple you just deflate the tyre and roll baxk the tyre with tube that has bonded to the tyre and easily replace,

Wish i had got a pair of the Ltd edition gold clown shoes for my NASA theme Moonlander

NASA Moonlander;
    https://coastkid.blogspot.com/2018/0...ite-drive.html
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Crying inside, with all these threads about 100mm (+ ?) rims, but no Alex blizzerks stateside

Quote Originally Posted by coastkid71 View Post
    There is a 100mm tubeless ready rim available by DT Swiss

Where?

99.99999999% sure that DT has only ever made an ~80mm rim.

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Believe it or not, there are lots of people whom still run tubes in winter. And they have good reasons for doing so.

When there is a 100mm tubeless ready rim readily available, *then* Clownshoes will be dead. Or at least very affordable.

Hundies 4eva.
    I even run them (carbon ones) in the summer, to annoy the 'Rapha guys' even more on the climbs (road and gravel).
    I specced the tubeless ready Alex Blizzerk 100 on certain Diamant and Nakamura models back in 2016. Seems like they are still available:
    https://alexrims.com/products/blizzerk-100/
    I will check with Dr. Alex if they can't be found.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by high_desert_mud View Post
    Crying inside, with all these threads about 100mm (+ ?) rims, but no Alex blizzerks stateside
    agreed. i reached out to my boy @ Alex, but nothing conclusive yet.
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

mtbr member
    Where?

99.99999999% sure that DT has only ever made an ~80mm rim.
    Yep your right Mike, i thought these were 100mm, so had a look online;

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/...-2250-classic/
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    If there was more of a demand they might make mobd style in 100mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member

I have 3 sets of Borealis tubeless ready 100mm rims. They had them on sale for almost a year at $300 a set. I run them tubeless and they work as good as my Mulefuts for locking the tire on.

Sadly, they were discontinued.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

Rippin da fAt
    How is the CS not tubeless ready, other than one needs to tape em like any other rim regardless of the large holes? I pull the valve core out and have to break the beads no differently than any other "Quality" rim available unlike Weinmann and a few other junk rims out there! Sure they might weigh a bit more than a $3-500 plastic rim at a far lower cost. MOBD's have a nice mud/snow catcher slot built in for the weight weenies tho...

Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaff View Post
    I have 3 sets of Borealis tubeless ready 100mm rims. They had them on sale for almost a year at $300 a set. I run them tubeless and they work as good as my Mulefuts for locking the tire on.

Sadly, they were discontinued.
    Turnagain? They were giving those away in the end of times for them. Early models were loose fit.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...