“A Tale of Two Bucksaws”- Mtbr.com
    e=mtb2

“A Tale of Two Bucksaws”

It was the best of times, it was… UTAH!

(with apologies to Charles Dickens)

Mrs levity and I were able to escape to Zion and Canyonlands Natl Parks for a couple of weeks mid-May. We’d recently built up Salsa Bucksaw fat bikes for riding in the arid SoCal desert - sand, not snow - and decided to give them a try on Utah’s petrified sand. The plan was to bike, hike and take a SUP trip down the Green River. Mother Nature had plans (wind, rain and even some late season snow) that caused us to cancel the paddle, but the trails were great.

Stopping off in Zion we rode the Hurricane Rim and JEM trails - fun times and great scenery.

We also took a side trip over to Thunder Mountain (near Red Canyon and Bryce Natl Park) for some cool riding thru Hoo Doos.

In the Canyonlands/Moab area we stayed in Dead Horse Point State Park. The campground is at 6000 ft and stays cooler than Moab (as we would soon find out). The Intrepid trail system in the State Park goes along the canyon rim in many places offering great views.

There’s also sweet riding just down Hwy 313 in the Navajo Rocks trail system. Here’s a pic from the Big Mesa trail area.

A storm blew through for a couple of days, and we chose to hike rather than bike. Here’s a shot from Grand View Point in Canyonlands Natl Park looking down on the White Rim above the Colorado River. The La Sal Mountains in the background have snow at higher elevations.

The classic view thru Mesa Arch in Canyonlands.

A short hike from our campground at DHPSP led to this overlook of the Colorado River.

Back on the bikes we headed over to a trail called the Monitor-Merrimac loop. The M-M trail doesn’t actually loop the namesake buttes but instead circumnavigates two large bluffs to provides a view of the buttes about 3 miles in the distance.

However, following slickrock and some BLM OHV trails you can get to the buttes themselves and enjoy great views and open sandstone riding.

Merrimac Butte

Monitor Butte (the official M-M Trail bluffs are in the right background)

Sweet slickrock around Merrimac and Monitor

There were a lot of other great trails in the Horsethief and Magnificent Seven areas nearby. During our stay a new trail (to be named Rodeo?) opened in the Horsethief area. It was fun to ride it before it became “burned in”. Here are a couple of pics showing nice stone work that the Moab Trail Mix group built to fill some sand washes and prevent erosion.

We had the good fortune to meet Scott and Sharon, Moab Trail Mix Super Stars behind much of the trail building in the area. They were inspecting the new trail and were happy to see us helping to pack it down with our fat tires.

The Mag 7 trails are as the name suggests magnificient. One of our favorites was Great Escape which combined super views and lots of playful slickrock riding.

On our return to SoCal we stopped again in Zion for a hike over the East Rim Trail

After packing and loading the bikes, it was time to reflect on a great trip.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Awesome pics and story!
    MiTT
    Denver Metro (Front Range), Colorado

'17 Otso Voytek (B+ & Fat)
    '00 Yeti ARC
    '12 Novara Buzz

mtbr member
    Great post, it's always nice to see the Bucksaws in their natural habitat!
    Nice photos and write up
    '18 Norco Ithaqua SL
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    nice.. hopefully someday i could do the same with my fatboy..

mtbr member
    That looks awesome, great pictures

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Awesome pics and write up!
    ‘19 Fargo Ti
    '17 Cutthroat
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Wow !!

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by levity View Post
    ...After packing and loading the bikes, it was time to reflect on a great trip.
    I see what you did there...

I miss the desert but your pics made me feel the warm sun and fine grit. Thanks for that. Still loving my Bucksaw after 2.5 years.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Did you get any comments on your Alt sticker while traveling? We visited Bryce among others mid April. My kids, 9 and 12, were wearing the shirts and a few rangers went out of their way to approve and thank.

We did not bike while out there but I will show your photos to them so they can see what we missed.

e=mtb2
    @bme107 - Did not get any comments about the Alt US Natl Park Service sticker on the van window. Folks may not have noticed it because we were parked back-in at Zion and a bit off the road at DHPSP. T-shirts are probably a more effective way to engage people - I get a lot of comments (all supportive!) on my March for Science shirt. Good to hear that you're helping your young girls become aware of the issues.

For those that don't know about it AltUSNPS came in response to the the current administration's orders to limit outward contact of government employees with the public, including bans on social media postings, at the EPA, the Dept of Agriculture, the Dept of Health and Human Services, and the Interior Dept (which oversees the Natl Park Service). AltUSNPS is meant to provide a voice for citizens concerned with actions that jeopardize our open lands and our National Parks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Nice

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Love the area and awesome shots!
    Good to see some fatties out on the trails!
    Thanks for sharing!
    97' Brodie Expresso
    00' Turner RFX
    08' Turner RFX
    13' Surly Troll
    15' Surly ICT

Rides like a girl
    Feb 2015
    I am not usually interested in desert riding, but those pics sure look like you had a nice outing! Thanks for sharing. Very nice!