Results 1 to 53 of 53
  1. #1
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,583

    $1200 Surly Wednesday the best bet under $1500?

    Hello,
    Looking to get my first fat bike. I want a rigid one.

    My goal with this is to be able to get out on the trails for the 5 months of winter and/or wet fall and spring here in upstate NY. I don't see myself using this bike a whole lot during the drier months, so I am not that concerned about how well it does as a dry weather, high speed shredder (I have a 6" All Mountain bike for that). I see typical rides being on trails that range from easy and flowy to some more rooty, rocky and steep sections, in conditions ranging from icy to snowy to just mucky and miserable. There are also some forest service roads that are not plowed in the winter that I would like to put some miles on.

    So I guess I want a bike that is pretty do-it-all in the wet, snowy or sloppy months.

    I am a very experienced mountain biker, but have only demoed fat bikes on actual trails twice. Pretty sure they were both Salsas. And it was on dry trails.

    My budget is $1500 max, but would really like to keep it under so that I have some extra in case I want to do things like get different tires.

    There are a few bikes I can get particularly good deals on:

    A new Surly Wednesday for $1,200
    A new Surly Pugsly for $1,500
    New Old Stock 2015 Pugsly for $1,100
    New Old Stock 2015 Fugi Wendigo for ~$950 (I think there was only one model that year)

    I am heavily leaning towards the Wednesday.

    My question is whether there are other solid contenders that I should consider for $1500 or less that might be a better bet than the Wednesday?

    Thanks.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    125
    There is something special about Surly bikes, and youíll know what Iím talking about when you ride one.
    They are comfortable, pretty bombproof but on the heavy side.

    Wednesday is more modern geo (trail fatbike), with lots of option for wheel sizes. 26fat, 27.5fat,27.5plus, 29plus. Also easier to find 177/12 TA compare to 135mm(pug offset hub.

    Pugsley is touring fat bike...

    Pugsly on the left, Wednesday on the right


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,583
    Quote Originally Posted by BojanMikic View Post
    There is something special about Surly bikes, and youíll know what Iím talking about when you ride one.
    They are comfortable, pretty bombproof but on the heavy side.

    Wednesday is more modern geo (trail fatbike), with lots of option for wheel sizes. 26fat, 27.5fat,27.5plus, 29plus. Also easier to find 177/12 TA compare to 135mm(pug offset hub.

    Pugsley is touring fat bike...
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the input. Are those both your bikes? If so, what makes you say that one is better for touring and one for trail? I get the geo number part, but what do you find to be the difference from a subjective (experiential) standpoint?

    Yes, I also have a soft spot for Surly. I bough a Karate Monkey frame in 2006 and still have it. Some of the best money I have spent. I was a great affordable way to get an introduction to 29ers at the time, and the versatility let me dabble in all sorts of configurations: SS, geared, HT, rigid..... I tried it all with that bike. Even had it set up as an on/off road ďadventureĒ bike before that became a marketed thing.

    Interestingly, it is the KM that this fat bike will be replacing in terms of purpose. When I lived in Virginia, the KM set up rigid 1x9 with fenders and mud tires was my mucky winter bike. Problem with that now is that I am getting older and my back canít take a rigid bike with standard tires anymore, and we have snow here.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

  4. #4
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,346
    Wednesday. Great geo, normal wheels/hub spacing. Fun, versatile. For me the geo is the highlight.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Thanks for the input. Are those both your bikes? If so, what makes you say that one is better for touring and one for trail? I get the geo number part, but what do you find to be the difference from a subjective (experiential) standpoint?

    Yes, I also have a soft spot for Surly. I bough a Karate Monkey frame in 2006 and still have it. Some of the best money I have spent. I was a great affordable way to get an introduction to 29ers at the time, and the versatility let me dabble in all sorts of configurations: SS, geared, HT, rigid..... I tried it all with that bike. Even had it set up as an on/off road ďadventureĒ bike before that became a marketed thing.

    Interestingly, it is the KM that this fat bike will be replacing in terms of purpose. When I lived in Virginia, the KM set up rigid 1x9 with fenders and mud tires was my mucky winter bike. Problem with that now is that I am getting older and my back canít take a rigid bike with standard tires anymore, and we have snow here.

    I compare it to my other bike...
    My Wednesday is build from frame up, also I have angleset (bike is at 65% head angle)



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    125
    Iím in West Chester NY, you can try my Wednesday (xl). I also have a Buddy in Carmel NY with (M)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    fat guy on a little bike
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    576
    wow, $1200 for a new Wednesday? I would be all over that...

    Where in NY are ya? I have a Wednesday, and I friggin love it...

    The only other bike in that price range worth considering would be the RSD mayor. RSD will be aluminum and have the capability to run larger tires, but it is a 197 rear bike, so it is going to be a touch wider. Just an fyi, good luc hunting!

    Quote Originally Posted by BojanMikic View Post
    Iím in West Chester NY, you can try my Wednesday (xl). I also have a Buddy in Carmel NY with (M)
    you have a buddy?!? I call BS....

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    wow, $1200 for a new Wednesday? I would be all over that...

    Where in NY are ya? I have a Wednesday, and I friggin love it...

    The only other bike in that price range worth considering would be the RSD mayor. RSD will be aluminum and have the capability to run larger tires, but it is a 197 rear bike, so it is going to be a touch wider. Just an fyi, good luc hunting!



    you have a buddy?!? I call BS....
    This...buddy


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,583
    I appreciate the offer for a test ride, but I am in Ithaca. About 2-1/2 hours away.

    This is exactly the re-enforcement I need to pull the trigger on this bike!
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

  10. #10
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,346
    Wednesday pics. Just got a dropper upgrade! Woot!

    00 Surly Wednesday the best bet under 00?-img_7810.jpg

    00 Surly Wednesday the best bet under 00?-img_7817.jpg
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  11. #11
    fat guy on a little bike
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    576
    coming up on the beginning of year 4 for my Wednesday. It has had countless $ poured into it (every squishy fork out there, and a bunch of carbon ones) and a slew of wheelsets. here is how she sits ready for the next "snowing".


  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    490
    Wed-nes-day. All day.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ianick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,176
    The Norco Bigfoot is a solid choice for the money ($1099). Though I have a soft spot for Surly as well having owned a KM, Ogre and still own an original Pugsley. The Norco is lighter and cheaper. The build kit doesn't look as nice as the Wednesday, but still solid enough for winter use.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    330
    Kapusta,

    You will never regret buying a Surly Wednesday at $1200.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BlueCheesehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,032
    The Framed Wolftrax NX comes with 27.5 wheels and similar or better build at the same price. One would have to check with them on geometry as I could not find that on the website.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    379
    Get the Surly...

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    120
    Support on the WEDNESDAY YO - you'll dig it

    There are some banger deals on the PinkBike though too...

    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2452384/

    Trail sleeper - little lighter, but still rad and can handle a lot of different opts.

    Best of luck with the SHRED SLED

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    330
    When you look on pinkbike and other sources, it looks like used Wednesday are going for $900 to $1000 USD.

    So, it looks to me anytime a person is considering going Fat Bike and they can get a Surly Wednesday on sale for in this case $1200 new; they are taking very little economic risk by giving it shot.

    Even when you can't get a Wednesday on sale and have to pay $1500, you don't have a lot of downside risk on the bike.

    It's not like an aluminum or carbon full suspension bike where if you don't like it or get tired of it, then you have to take a total bath in selling it.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: letitsnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    241
    If your back can't take a rigid 29er, I suggest adding a fork (at least) to whatever fat bike you buy. The bigger tires absorb some small bumps, but they are no replacement for suspension.

    I say buy a less expensive bike, and add a bluto.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    40
    IF you're looking for fat deals under 1500, be sure to check out the $1400 Motobecane Night Train Express... the aluminum frame, carbon fork are probably lighter than the steel Surly, and it's got Sram GX 1x11, a step up from the Wednesday.

  21. #21
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,346
    Quote Originally Posted by letitsnow View Post
    I say buy a less expensive bike, and add a Manitou Mastodon.
    Fixed. The Bluto sucks.

    Quote Originally Posted by frantik! View Post
    IF you're looking for fat deals under 1500, be sure to check out the $1400 Motobecane Night Train Express... the aluminum frame, carbon fork are probably lighter than the steel Surly, and it's got Sram GX 1x11, a step up from the Wednesday.
    Lets please not compare BD crap to real bikes. Thanks.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: letitsnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    241
    Or a mastodon. Whatever. The bluto's on both of my bikes have been solid, so I wouldn't be afraid of another.

    Not looking to beat that dead horse - just trying to help the OP. Rigid is rigid.

  23. #23
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation: BansheeRune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,230
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Hello,
    Looking to get my first fat bike. I want a rigid one.

    My goal with this is to be able to get out on the trails for the 5 months of winter and/or wet fall and spring here in upstate NY. I don't see myself using this bike a whole lot during the drier months, so I am not that concerned about how well it does as a dry weather, high speed shredder (I have a 6" All Mountain bike for that). I see typical rides being on trails that range from easy and flowy to some more rooty, rocky and steep sections, in conditions ranging from icy to snowy to just mucky and miserable. There are also some forest service roads that are not plowed in the winter that I would like to put some miles on.

    So I guess I want a bike that is pretty do-it-all in the wet, snowy or sloppy months.

    I am a very experienced mountain biker, but have only demoed fat bikes on actual trails twice. Pretty sure they were both Salsas. And it was on dry trails.

    My budget is $1500 max, but would really like to keep it under so that I have some extra in case I want to do things like get different tires.

    There are a few bikes I can get particularly good deals on:

    A new Surly Wednesday for $1,200
    A new Surly Pugsly for $1,500
    New Old Stock 2015 Pugsly for $1,100
    New Old Stock 2015 Fugi Wendigo for ~$950 (I think there was only one model that year)

    I am heavily leaning towards the Wednesday.

    My question is whether there are other solid contenders that I should consider for $1500 or less that might be a better bet than the Wednesday?

    Thanks.
    Don't let the Wednesday get away! That is a steal for a steel...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Lets please not compare BD crap to real bikes. Thanks.
    LOL.. a Surly owner trying to be a bike snob.. Thanks for the laugh

  25. #25
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,583
    Quote Originally Posted by letitsnow View Post
    If your back can't take a rigid 29er, I suggest adding a fork (at least) to whatever fat bike you buy. The bigger tires absorb some small bumps, but they are no replacement for suspension.

    I say buy a less expensive bike, and add a bluto.
    Thanks, that is a good point to make.

    I have ridden fat bikes twice on trails with rocks and roots (both demos). I agree that it is not the same as suspension. However, I did find they took the edge off enough for my purposes.

    More bouncy, but less harsh.

    In any event, I can always add a fork later.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

  26. #26
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,346
    Quote Originally Posted by frantik! View Post
    LOL.. a Surly owner trying to be a bike snob.. Thanks for the laugh
    Yup, my Surly's (2) are the least expensive frames of all my bikes and they're great. Excellent value, but in no way are they inferior to more expensive products.

    Frankly comparing Surly to BikesDirect IS insulting. Pointing out that a BD bike has a GX drivetrain is akin to shopping for a house who's foundation is crumbling but pointing out a highlight is the nice faucet in the bathroom. Kind of missing the big picture.

    Since you seem to be quite the connoisseur, please, why don't you share your elite stable of custom ti bikes tricked out in Enve and CK. I'd love to hear more about your rides.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Frankly comparing Surly to BikesDirect IS insulting. Pointing out that a BD bike has a GX drivetrain is akin to shopping for a house who's foundation is crumbling but pointing out a highlight is the nice faucet in the bathroom. Kind of missing the big picture.
    Except there is no crumbling foundation. The parts spec is higher than the Wednesday, and the frame is excellent. The bottom line is you don't know what you are talking about.

    I'd love to hear more about your rides.
    Sure, you like TI and CK? PM me, I got em. This shit is already off topic. I was just trying to help out OP who was asking for good deals under 1500. The Night Train Express is the best one I could find under 1500. 1200 for the Wednesday isn't bad though.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    617
    I already have a fat bike that I wish I rode more and if I could buy a new Wednesday for $1200, I'd have two of them.

    BD bikes are fine for what you get. If the geo works for you, buy it. I almost bought a Lurch but ended up with a Surly ICT instead.

  29. #29
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,346
    Does a BD bike come with a Cane Creek 40 headset? Does it have tubeless rims from a quality manufacturer? The cranks and BB are junk, tires too. The stem, handlebars, seatpost, etc. are no name crap.

    Worst of all the geometry is usually completely jacked up.

    I've owned a BD fatbike, it's a hulking POS compared to a Surly.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  30. #30
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,346
    Quote Originally Posted by frantik! View Post
    Sure, you like TI and CK? PM me, I got em.
    I get the feeling you're about to show me a Lynskey.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Does a BD bike come with a Cane Creek 40 headset? Does it have tubeless rims from a quality manufacturer? The cranks and BB are junk, tires too. The stem, handlebars, seatpost, etc. are no name crap.

    Worst of all the geometry is usually completely jacked up.

    I've owned a BD fatbike, it's a hulking POS compared to a Surly.
    Mine is under 30 pounds with a tire and tube change. You don't know what parts on are it, but you're claiming they are crap. Wednesday is speced with Tektro brakes, meanwhile you're claiming a Raceface turbine Crank and BB is crap? Yes it's got Mulefut tubeless rims. Like I said, you don't actually know what you are talking about.

    But you do point out a good reason not to get a BD bike... having to explain to chuckleheads like yourself that they are talking out of their ass does get old.

  32. #32
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,346
    Quote Originally Posted by frantik! View Post
    Mine is under 30 pounds with a tire and tube change. You don't know what parts on are it, but you're claiming they are crap. Wednesday is speced with Tektro brakes, meanwhile you're claiming a Raceface turbine Crank and BB is crap? Yes it's got Mulefut tubeless rims. Like I said, you don't actually know what you are talking about.

    But you do point out a good reason not to get a BD bike... having to explain to chuckleheads like yourself that they are talking out of their ass does get old.
    Lipstick on a pig. Swapping tires doesn't change bad geometry.

    A Surly is a bike shop quality bike, BD is internet crap. Clearly you've made your choice.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Lipstick on a pig. Swapping tires doesn't change bad geometry.

    A Surly is a bike shop quality bike, BD is internet crap. Clearly you've made your choice.
    lol... what is the geometry? You don't know shit about the bike dude. You have no idea what the geometry is. You're just some loser who wants to hate on BD bikes. Sorry you owned a shitty one in the past, but the one I recommended is actually really nice. You don't know anything about it but seem really intent on talking shit.

    If OP doesn't need a bike shop to work on a bike, he should consider the bike I recommended, he won't be disappointed.

  34. #34
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,583

    $1200 Surly Wednesday the best bet under $1500?

    Quote Originally Posted by frantik! View Post
    If OP doesn't need a bike shop to work on a bike, he should consider the bike I recommended, he won't be disappointed.
    OP here.....

    I have owned one BD road bike and a few friends have owned BD road and mountain bikes as well.

    In the broadest sense, Iíve got no issue with BD, as long as you know what you are getting. On the whole I do find the parts spec usually very good for the price points they hit, though there are usually a few hidden turds in there that may or may not be an issue. And the assembly can leave a bit to be desired (in particular the wheels). But even given that, I think they can be a very good deal if you have the inclination and ability to do a breakdown and re-assembly upon receiving it. Iíve built 15 of the last 18 bikes we (wife and I) have owned from the frame up (many times just moving parts from one frame to another) so I am certainly OK with the parts and assembly issues.

    So if the frame interests me, I would not rule out BD.

    In this particular case, I looked at the Night Train Express, and I donít think the frame is my cup of tea.

    One issue is the geo: The chainstay is roughly an inch longer than on the Wednesday and the head angle is steeper. The former is a bigger deal to me than the latter.

    The other reason I am favoring the Wednesday frame (and Surly in general) is the plethora of braze-ons that the Wednesday sports, and the option to run many different rear axle standards. These are important factors to me with a bike that I am using to dabble in an aspect of the sport I do not have a lot of experience in. I like to tinker and experiment, and this seems like it will be conducive to that. This is what made the Karate Monkey such a valuable frame to me.

    Anyway, thanks for the alternative frame rec. It is what I was asking for.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    One issue is the geo: The chainstay is roughly an inch longer than on the Wednesday and the head angle is steeper. The former is a bigger deal to me than the latter.
    The longer chainstay is probably to allow for a bigger tire. I don't need the clearance but there is tons on the Night Train. Glad you checked it out, but it sounds like you have your heart already set

  36. #36
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,583
    Quote Originally Posted by frantik! View Post
    The longer chainstay is probably to allow for a bigger tire. I don't need the clearance but there is tons on the Night Train. Glad you checked it out, but it sounds like you have your heart already set
    That is what I figured. On the Wed you can (need to) slide the wheel back in the dropout to fit a bigger tire.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

  37. #37
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,346
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    That is what I figured. On the Wed you can (need to) slide the wheel back in the dropout to fit a bigger tire.
    I run a 4.6 Dunderbeast on an 80mm rim with the axle all the way forward. It's tight but it doesn't rub. I wouldn't go any bigger.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    490
    D5 and Wrathchild both fit on 80mm full forward as well.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    That is what I figured. On the Wed you can (need to) slide the wheel back in the dropout to fit a bigger tire.
    Donít forget the cost of monkeynuts or youíll fight the rear wheel alignment from chain torque.
    Quote Originally Posted by frozenmonkey View Post
    D5 and Wrathchild both fit on 80mm full forward as well.
    A D5 is only 4 3/8Ē wide on a 100mm wheel. The biggest con on the Wednesday is that it canít fit a 4.8 tire on the rear.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    490
    Re: D5...yea the 4.8 they list is bogus, but in any event, it fits slammed. Just an FYI for whomever.

    > 4.6 clearance turns it into a 190/197 rear. Horses for courses.
    Last edited by frozenmonkey; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:47 AM.

  41. #41
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,583

    $1200 Surly Wednesday the best bet under $1500?

    Thanks for the input, everyone!

    I decided to go with the Wednesday. The shop gave me the bike a few days ago to try out for the week to decide for sure if this is the right size (just have to return it clean and not bang it up). I've ridden it around the niegborhood and up and down some snowbanks and up and down some steep muddy embankments, and I know enough to know that I definitely want this bike. Weather should be good tomorrow to take it to the trails (i.e., it is not 36 degrees and raining). I just have to be careful not to scratch it up.

    My only question now is size. Running the geo numbers against my other bikes, it looked to me like a small was the way to go. The bike comes with a 60mm stem, and innitial impression is that it feels really good. I've stuck an 80mm stem on to see if more reach would be more comfy (in which case I would definitely go with a Med), but I think it is too stretched out for me. I'll take another ride to make sure of this.

    Looking at the geo numbers and doing a bunch of geekish calculations, it looks like I would get a similar fit on a Med frame with a 40mm stem (with the bars at the same stack hieght) as a small with a 60mm stem. As much as super short is all the rage, not sure i want to go that short on this bike. The only thing that gives me pause is that I've got 10-1/2" of seat post showing. I usually have a lot less than that (never had a bike with less than a 16" seat tube before).
    Last edited by kapusta; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:34 AM.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

  42. #42
    fat guy on a little bike
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    576
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    I decided to go with the Wednesday...
    GREAT!

    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    My only question now is size. Running the geo numbers against my other bikes, it looked to me like a small was the way to go. The bike comes with a 60mm stem, and innitial impression is that it feels really good. I've stuck an 80mm stem .... but I think it is too stretched out for me...The only thing that gives me pause is that I've got 10-1/2" of seat post showing.
    wow, 80mm stem is ginormous! also, that is a lot of post. sounds like you are a medium.

    i have a medium w/ a 50 stem, and love it.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    330
    I am 6'2" and have 10.5" inches of seat tube exposed on a Large. So, I could probably go with an an XL with a shorter stem.

    I don't think there is a wrong decision from what you described. I think you would fit well on a small or a medium. Since medium has a little longer wheel base, you might be more stable on downhills, but if it starts to feel too big, then that advantage might be diminished.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Thanks for the input, everyone!

    I decided to go with the Wednesday. The shop gave me the bike a few days ago to try out for the week to decide for sure if this is the right size (just have to return it clean and not bang it up). I've ridden it around the niegborhood and up and down some snowbanks and up and down some steep muddy embankments, and I know enough to know that I definitely want this bike. Weather should be good tomorrow to take it to the trails (i.e., it is not 36 degrees and raining). I just have to be careful not to scratch it up.

    My only question now is size. Running the geo numbers against my other bikes, it looked to me like a small was the way to go. The bike comes with a 60mm stem, and innitial impression is that it feels really good. I've stuck an 80mm stem on to see if more reach would be more comfy (in which case I would definitely go with a Med), but I think it is too stretched out for me. I'll take another ride to make sure of this.

    Looking at the geo numbers and doing a bunch of geekish calculations, it looks like I would get a similar fit on a Med frame with a 40mm stem (with the bars at the same stack hieght) as a small with a 0mm stem. As much as super short is all the rage, not sure i want to go that short on this bike. The only thing that gives me pause is that I've got 10-1/2" of seat post showing. I usually have a lot less than that (never had a bike with less than a 16" seat tube before).
    I would go always with bigger frame. If you need less reach go with: #1 shorter stem (better handling input, also better downhill)
    #2 move your seat forward (doing this you are steeping seat angle, better for climbing).
    If you do all this in reverse going with smaller frame, you donít get any of the benefits. My $0.02


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  45. #45
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,583
    Quote Originally Posted by BojanMikic View Post
    I would go always with bigger frame. If you need less reach go with: #1 shorter stem (better handling input, also better downhill)
    #2 move your seat forward (doing this you are steeping seat angle, better for climbing).
    If you do all this in reverse going with smaller frame, you donít get any of the benefits. My $0.02


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for you thoughts!

    I already have the seat where it needs to be for the best pedaling for me (I view seat tube angle as a "suggestion"). IMO, if I have to move the seat fore/aft from my happy pedaling position for reach purposes, I am on the wrong size frame.

    I am not convinced that for me, a 40mm stem is better handling than a 60mm. I spent three years on a Turner 5-Spot with a 45mm stem (and 750mm bars). Yes, it was fantastic pointed DH, and overall the bike was great. However, after that I replaced the frame (all same components) with a size smaller 5-spot frame (same model, different size). A 60mm stem gave me pretty much the identical reach, and I think the bike actually handles better now, overall. Maybe a smidge less stable at mach speeds on the DH, but everywhere else I find it the same or a little better, particularly on technical climbs and carving turns. It just feels better balanced. But, I know that is just one bike, others may be different.

    Also, this Wednesday has a 700mm bar on it right now. I slid the lock-on grips out 10mm each side to recreate what a 720mm bar feels like, but realistically I will end up with something like 750mm bar. this could shorten the stem even more.

    But I am curious to know what this bike will feel like in a med a 35-45mm stem.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

  46. #46
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman29 View Post
    I am 6'2" and have 10.5" inches of seat tube exposed on a Large. So, I could probably go with an an XL with a shorter stem.

    I don't think there is a wrong decision from what you described. I think you would fit well on a small or a medium. Since medium has a little longer wheel base, you might be more stable on downhills, but if it starts to feel too big, then that advantage might be diminished.
    OK, good to know I am not alone on the seat post thing. But on the small it almost looks like my seat post is longer than the seat tube
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

  47. #47
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    GREAT!



    wow, 80mm stem is ginormous! also, that is a lot of post. sounds like you are a medium.

    i have a medium w/ a 50 stem, and love it.
    Thanks,

    Yes, 80 is ginormous. And if the reach felt comfortable, It would tell me I should definitely go with a Med.

    But it feels like too long of a reach, (60 is what feels good) which is why I am hesitant to go with the med frame, unless I want a 40mm stem (which I am not ruling out, but have reservations based on previous experience).
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    617
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Thanks for the input, everyone!

    I decided to go with the Wednesday. The shop gave me the bike a few days ago to try out for the week to decide for sure if this is the right size (just have to return it clean and not bang it up). I've ridden it around the niegborhood and up and down some snowbanks and up and down some steep muddy embankments, and I know enough to know that I definitely want this bike. Weather should be good tomorrow to take it to the trails (i.e., it is not 36 degrees and raining). I just have to be careful not to scratch it up.

    My only question now is size. Running the geo numbers against my other bikes, it looked to me like a small was the way to go. The bike comes with a 60mm stem, and innitial impression is that it feels really good. I've stuck an 80mm stem on to see if more reach would be more comfy (in which case I would definitely go with a Med), but I think it is too stretched out for me. I'll take another ride to make sure of this.

    Looking at the geo numbers and doing a bunch of geekish calculations, it looks like I would get a similar fit on a Med frame with a 40mm stem (with the bars at the same stack hieght) as a small with a 0mm stem. As much as super short is all the rage, not sure i want to go that short on this bike. The only thing that gives me pause is that I've got 10-1/2" of seat post showing. I usually have a lot less than that (never had a bike with less than a 16" seat tube before).
    How tall are you? I'm on a small ICT and I'm 5'5". Medium I can't even stand over. It's perfect for me. I'm a small in everything except Trek, I think they must fit small.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    179
    More to bike fitting than just height, if youíve got a long back, short legs or arms, or prefer to sit more upright than racer boy hunched over, all affects what size bike is comfortable for you.

  50. #50
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,583

    $1200 Surly Wednesday the best bet under $1500?

    Well, I took a few spins around the neighborhood and rode up and down a few banks with the 80mm stem on my small frame to see what the reach on the med would feel like, and it was just too long.

    So I put the 60mm stem back on, dickered with spacers, and took another spun and the 60mm still felt perfect. I did more measuring, and it turns out my reach to the bars is actually about 10mm LONGER than on my Med 5-Spot with a 60mm stem (which feels dialed) Go figure.

    Today I got in a real ride on real trails. The trails are mostly old school with lots of rocks and roots (Upstate NY). It was muddy but partially frozen.

    The bike feels perfectly dialed, and A LOT of fun. I donít remember a lot about the other Fat Bikes I rode in the past, just that they were not all that much fun. Like driving buses. This was not like that at all.

    I did strike me how slow this thing is climbing compared to my regular bike, but thatís OK.

    So, Iíll stew on this another day or so, but it looks like I will buy this bike in this size.

    Here is a pic.


    Since I have not bought it yet, I have to leave the reflectors and dork disc on, and leave the steer-tube uncut (thus the tennis ball).

    Thanks for the input and help, yíall!
    Last edited by kapusta; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:45 PM.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

  51. #51
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowfat View Post
    More to bike fitting than just height, if youíve got a long back, short legs or arms, or prefer to sit more upright than racer boy hunched over, all affects what size bike is comfortable for you.
    That is definitely true in my case.

    I am 5í-10Ē. But some combination of whacked-out body proportions that I still do not fully understand leaves me wanting a freakishly short effective reach (meaning horizontal distance from BB to bar) for my height. And with frame reaches getting longer and longer, I am dropping sizes as time goes on. This small Wed has similar frame reach as my large 2008 MKIII that I also ran a 60mm stem on.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    27
    hello Kapusta, I own a 2017 Fuji Wendigo, I think that if you are willing to spend the extra bucks you will enjoy the surly, but I personally got this bike with upgraded parts, and for a cheaper price than $950 I think a 2015 for $950 is a rip off, also the tires on and the rims are not tubeless ready. My bike the Wendi go 2.1 came with Jumbo Jims which are tubeless, and it went tubeless after a little bit of leaks, I would look at the Fuji wendigo 2017 2.1 or the Fuji Wendigo 2018 2.1
    it can also handle up to 5.0 inch tires (both wendigo I suggested) I hope you will be happy with your choice in the end!

  53. #53
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Pikachu View Post
    hello Kapusta, I own a 2017 Fuji Wendigo, I think that if you are willing to spend the extra bucks you will enjoy the surly, but I personally got this bike with upgraded parts, and for a cheaper price than $950 I think a 2015 for $950 is a rip off, also the tires on and the rims are not tubeless ready. My bike the Wendi go 2.1 came with Jumbo Jims which are tubeless, and it went tubeless after a little bit of leaks, I would look at the Fuji wendigo 2017 2.1 or the Fuji Wendigo 2018 2.1
    it can also handle up to 5.0 inch tires (both wendigo I suggested) I hope you will be happy with your choice in the end!
    Thanks!
    I bought the Surly.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Similar Threads

  1. 1200 lumens Helmet light kit UK mini review of the C&B SEEN CABS-1200 HMT
    By Skyraider59 in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-23-2014, 01:02 AM
  2. C&B SEEN CABS-1200 1200 Lumen Bike Light & Headlamp Kit review
    By Skyraider59 in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-21-2014, 07:56 AM
  3. Serfas TSL 1500 (true 1500) vs Cateye Volt 1200 vs other generic lights
    By gmarchie12 in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-25-2013, 07:44 PM
  4. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-24-2013, 01:51 PM
  5. under 23 pounds for under $1500
    By benkelley in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-14-2008, 07:25 AM

Members who have read this thread: 212

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.