Young Kids - Tubeless Tire Pressure- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Young Kids - Tubeless Tire Pressure

So for a young kid - in the 8yr range...weighing in at 60ish pounds - if you follow the Stans formula for starting pressures, you'd be no more than 10psi (60/7)=8.6, front = 8.6-1, rear = 8.6+2.

Is this recommended/capable of being that low? Tires are not high volume - 26x2.1 on Stans Crest MK3.

Is there a minimum tubeless pressure no matter how much you weigh?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Not sure about minum but those are all too low unless maybe on a fat tire.

We run tubeless in a 20" 2.2 Maxtion tire on i27 spawn rims. How much air pressure depends on the ride and terrain. Our mostly dirt/Root/round rock tails allow my kid to run like 12 or 15 up front and 18 or so in the rear. When we raced in some more rocky terrain on ski Mtn, we had a tire slash in our second lap, lesson learned for Dad. Seems like most of the hits come to the back tire for us so I'm running 22 rear mostly. Front is still like 15.

Obviously your tire and rim are different so YMMV

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    ^Thanks

Yeah I thought it's too low but I wasn't sure since kids don't weigh much...and since it's not a high volume tire like my fat bike I found it hard to believe I could run 8-10psi...not even sure the tire would really stay on very well that low.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    My girls are about 70lbs and I run 15PSI for XC rides. 12-15PSI is about as low as you can go and still have the tire bead hold up.

May not be "optimized" but it's a whole lot better than running 30+ with a tube.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SactoGeoff View Post
    My girls are about 70lbs and I run 15PSI for XC rides. 12-15PSI is about as low as you can go and still have the tire bead hold up.

May not be "optimized" but it's a whole lot better than running 30+ with a tube.

Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    With Rocket Ron 2.1 the pressures are too low to measure on my track pump...<20 psi
    Pressure is something feels about right... then looks right when he's sat on the bike.

When he's jumping and casing on rocks the pressure goes up for rim protection but we've never had a burp or the tyre come away however we usually switch to bigger tyres for this with a Maxxis 2.5 (wire bead but tubeless) on the front and Fat Albert 2.4 on the back.

mtbr member
    For any of my bikes with "regular" size tyres 2.1-2.4", I never drop below 15 PSI, no matter how light the rider, even kids. I'd say stick to 15 PSI or above, go by how easy it is for you to "squish" the tyre and then also by how.if it deforms when your kid sits on it and if you see any movement/bounce out of it.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??