Yama Jama 26 or Commencal Meta HT Junior- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2019

Yama Jama 26 or Commencal Meta HT Junior

It's time to upgrade my 10 year old's Haro Flightline 24 Plus. I bought that about a year ago when the family was just getting back into mountain biking after a long pause for me and my wife. Not really knowing whether it was something he was going to love, I bought the Haro as a big jump from department store bikes but not wanting to throw $1k at it just yet. Haro puts that weight at 24.7# and that's probably close to right.

Well, he loves it. He's not a big jumper and just loves fast XC stuff. We live in South Louisiana and travel the southeast, Texas, and the lower Rockies camping and riding along the way. The Trailcraft is just a little too much to be spending right now.

I'm getting him something for Christmas and I've narrowed it down to these two. Super similar build but I'm having trouble pulling the trigger on one now that we are getting down to the shipping wire.

Some help would be much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    The Yama Jama is on the way. He's got a 5yr old brother and figured I'll get plenty of use out of the 26" bike between the two of them and he can move to a 27.5" DS bike when he's closer to 5'6" or so.

mtbr member
    Why a YJ 26 instead of an XS Specialized or whatever?
    I'm wondering about a small 26 as my son's next nicer bike.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by rabitoblanco View Post
    Why a YJ 26 instead of an XS Specialized or whatever?
    I'm wondering about a small 26 as my son's next nicer bike.

I only have one decent shop within an hour of me and they are Roadie centric so Iím doing my own maintenance no matter what. The specs on the bikes from the kid specific companies are better for the price than the big brands, sometimes significantly. Also, that bike has better geometry for a kid than a small ďadultĒ bike. Youíd have to go XS to match it and they are tough to find.

I put it together a few days ago and he got it today. Iím extremely impressed. Much more impressed than I am with my wifeís Trek Roscoe 7 for similar money. It just feels higher quality all around. More like my Commencal Meta TR Fox Essential.

I think itís slightly large for his 4í7Ē 25Ē inseam body but he says it fits him fine. We will see this weekend when we head to Bentonville for the week. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I got one of the Trail Craft Timber 26's for my boy. I couldn't get Spawn to return phone calls or emails on some questions I had on the bike so they got crossed off the list. The Comencal I couldn't find one a month ago.

My daughter has a Santa Cruz Superlight small 27.5" it's still too big for him. We also have a 13" XS frame Gary Fischer advance that is still to big. He is 4'6" and 25" inseam, the TC is just a bit of a stretch for him right now. One growth spurt and it will be good to go. The TC is insanely light also.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    That sounds awesome! You know he's not gonna let a little bit of sizing discrepancy slow him down, haha

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by jakerfreese View Post
    I got one of the Trail Craft Timber 26's for my boy. I couldn't get Spawn to return phone calls or emails on some questions I had on the bike so they got crossed off the list. The Comencal I couldn't find one a month ago.

My daughter has a Santa Cruz Superlight small 27.5" it's still too big for him. We also have a 13" XS frame Gary Fischer advance that is still to big. He is 4'6" and 25" inseam, the TC is just a bit of a stretch for him right now. One growth spurt and it will be good to go. The TC is insanely light also.

I sent a couple of questions to Spawn on FB messenger and got responses pretty fast.

I looked hard at the TC but just couldnít bring myself to make the jump. We donít have local trails and really only ride when we camp although that is a trip or two a month.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    I sent a couple of questions to Spawn on FB messenger and got responses pretty fast.

I looked hard at the TC but just couldnít bring myself to make the jump. We donít have local trails and really only ride when we camp although that is a trip or two a month.

No FB here....I really didn't want to make the jump to the TC, I was outta time and options so I went for it. Yeah not having local trails makes it tough, we ride 4-5 days a week here.