Yama Jama 20" put on diet- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2018

Yama Jama 20" put on diet

I've been lurking this forum for some time, big thanks to everyone in previous posts with great input on components to swap!

I got the Yama Jama 20" a few weeks ago and now I've put it though a diet. Got it down to 9.4kg. Note that this includes a KS Lev integra dropper.

Stupid me didn't put the original bike on the scale before starting with the mods, but I estimate original bike to have been around 10.1kg incl pedals and tubes. Quite much heavier than I expected. Then the Commencal Meta 20" might not have been so bad if put on a diet with crank, tire and drive chain mods.

The Kactus pedals seems to be very nice (except the crappy pins which I replaced with the ones included with the bike), hope the magnesium will hold up.

The KS Lev integra 125 I found second hand, but unused. I have reduced the travel to about 50mm now (using a cord as seen on the picture below). But I doubt my kid will ever need more than 100mm before outgrowing this bike. So if I had bought new, I'd go for 100mm for more weight saving. It has a bit of stiction, kid need to apply some force to pull it up. I donīt want to put more pressure in as my kid already now has problems getting it down by just sitting on the saddle. Anyone with similar problems and tried to reduce stiction? I found this site with tips on swapping damping fluid to a lighter one, might try that: KS LEV rebuild and travel adjustment | Peter Verdone Designs

I tried to go for the Wren stem, but it was not possible to source in EU, and with shipping and tax, it was not worth getting it from the US. But I found an alternative with Propain, cheap but a bit heavier.

Now I'm looking into reducing HTA and I'll try increase fork travel after svinyard's tip.

See my nerdy spread sheet below for sorted cost/weight savings, hope it can help someone further on!

Yama Jama 20" put on diet-img_3099.jpg
    Yama Jama 20" put on diet-spawnyamajama20mods.jpg
    Last edited by wallander; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:30 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Nice work Sir!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I wish there was a way to get a larger range cassette on this bike. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    I wish there was a way to get a larger range cassette on this bike. Any ideas?
    I think Sunrace 11/40,11/42 or 11/46 might fit, but I donít know the limitation of the rear mech, see SunRace | CSMX3