Winter biking with 5-year-old- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Winter biking with 5-year-old

My 4-year-old is a pretty solid little rider. He's been on an Early Rider Belter 16 Trail for two years, which is a great bike. Last winter, I used a Mac Ride on my fat bike to introduce him to winter riding. He absolutely loved it.

By this winter, he'll be 5. I'd like to get him out riding groomed trails, but I'm not sure what a 40-pound, 42" kid can muscle around for a "fat bike". I don't want him to get frustrated on some tank that's impossible to pedal, but the bike still needs flotation on snow. What have others done to get their toddlers out riding in winter?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My son is 4 now and did some trail riding on a small amount of snow with a Yoji 16 last winter, but only when it was a light dusting. My parents live at the other end of the street, so we did quite a few short rides on the semi-shoveled sidewalks throughout the winter.

His current bike is a Cujo 20, currently with CST Fringe 20x2.8 tires (actual width more like 2.45"). Some older threads on the Roscoe 20 seem to indicate the CST tires don't give enough traction in snow, so we have a pair of heavier Vee Crown Gem 20x2.8's that I'm planning to try on there for the winter.

Between a Tow-Whee and borrowing my wife's 27.5+ bike, we'll probably be able to handle more than we were able to last year.

All that being said, once there's enough snow I'm hoping to do some more cross-country skiing with him this winter (we did a little in the backyard last year).