Will this wheelset work on Hotrock 20?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2019

Will this wheelset work on Hotrock 20?

I think I've validated all the considerations but want to make sure on my 2013 Hotrock 20 build

406 size
    V brake
    100/130 spacing
    1300 grams, saving about 1.5 lbs
    Fairly narrow but will accept 2" tire
    $100 after $5 coupon
    Anything I'm missing?

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/328088...w1560001032338

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Guess I'll be answering my own question. With no replies, I decided to try these with a set of Schwalbe Black Jack 20x1.9 tires. Should save a couple lbs of rotational mass along with lighter tubes and wellgo kc008 pedals.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Cool, 1300g is pretty light and knocking off a couple pounds of rotating weight is huge! The price is unreal.

I don't know what the hotrock requires or if they'll fit. What's the ID of the rims? I couldn't find it on the site, but probably overlooked it. Also make sure it can take whatever cassette you want to use. I only saw Shimano/HG style cassette bodies. For me that'd be a deal breaker as I really like the XD setup for weight reduction and the ability to run a smaller cassette and in-turn a shorter cage derailleur.

You might also take a look at the little joe tires. The 1.4 is super light and the 2.0 is still a smidge lighter than the black jack.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by BikePilot1 View Post
    Cool, 1300g is pretty light and knocking off a couple pounds of rotating weight is huge! The price is unreal.

I don't know what the hotrock requires or if they'll fit. What's the ID of the rims? I couldn't find it on the site, but probably overlooked it. Also make sure it can take whatever cassette you want to use. I only saw Shimano/HG style cassette bodies. For me that'd be a deal breaker as I really like the XD setup for weight reduction and the ability to run a smaller cassette and in-turn a shorter cage derailleur.

You might also take a look at the little joe tires. The 1.4 is super light and the 2.0 is still a smidge lighter than the black jack.
    Thanks for the reply! I already have a Shimano 9 speed cassette and derailleur from upgrading my wife's bike. On the tires, the little Joe's are double the price of black jacks and I'm trying to build this bike to 17 lbs for the cost of a new Hotrock so even $30 extra is a lot!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Sounds good, I love your approach! I got my son's bike down to 16lbs but got totally carried away with it from a budget perspective. In terms of $$/grams that 1.4" little Joe may end up pretty effective, perhaps run one on the rear and the black jack on the front if you need to cut weight at the end. I'm still amazed at the price of those wheels, I gave twice that just for spokes when I built my kid's wheels. Awesome find!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    How did these wheels work out for you? I'm planning a similar build....