Wider tire on 20" plus bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Wider tire on 20" plus bike

Was looking for a 20" fat bike for my 5-year-old to ride this winter, but now leaning toward a 20" plus bike. Most come with 2.6 tires. Anyone try fitting 3.0 or larger tires on their kid's 20" plus bike?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Salsa Timberjack 20 is the only plus bike I know of that I've seen with 20x3.0 tires:
    https://salsacycles.com/bikes/timber..._timberjack_20

From the Chao Yang page, it looks like those come in 2 different variants:
    • W105011 -- Single compound, 30 TPI, 640g
    • W105012 -- Dual compound, 60 TPI, 575g

CHAOYANG TIRES-SPARROW

Not sure which version comes with the Salsa, but so I haven't seen anywhere that has them for sale on their own. Presumably they could be ordered through a Salsa dealer, who might be able to see which version it is.

I'm really curious if these 3.0" tires actually measure up at 3.0" or if they're significantly narrower like most of the kids plus tires I've encountered so far.

Right now we're running CST Fringe 20x2.8's, but those are closer to 2.5" than 2.8". Kenda Slant Six 20x2.6 is more like 2.45".

The Vee Crown Gem (20x2.8) is the next biggest I know of before jumping up to 20x4.0 fat tires and should fit most plus bikes. I have a set that I was planning on trying on my son's Cujo this winter, but haven't gotten around to mounting them to see just how wide they are when mounted -- they definitely look like a significantly wider tire than either the Kenda or the CST. They're also quite a bit heavier (actual weights ~750g vs ~560-600g)

Specialized Big Roller is another 20x2.8, but I'm also unsure what the actual width of those is. Weight comes somewhere in between at 670g spec.

Stock rims on the Cujo (I think the Roscoe as well) are ~30mm, which is probably too narrow to try jumping up to a full 4.0" fat tire (assuming they'd even fit in the frame / fork).

The Timberjack has WTB i35 tubeless compatible rims, which were custom made for Salsa and not available anywhere else (I reached out to WTB a few months ago). Those might fit > 3.0", but again I'm not sure how much larger the frame would support. From photos, it looks like it's possible that a 4" tire could fit the in the fork, but you'd have to try to find out for sure.

Next biggest tubless compatible I know of is the new Alienation TCS Vandal (37mm outer / 31.2mm inner diameter):
    TCS Vandal – Alienation Bicycle Components

Something like these Blank XL BMX rims might be a cheap option for coming up with your own wider set of wheels (likely not going to be tubeless compatible) -- they say 40mm, but it's hard to say if that's inner or outer diameter:
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod154400

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    More clarification -- from this review, it looks like the Chen Yang tires are not tubeless ready:
    "Unfortunately, whilst the stock WTB rims are tubeless ready, the unbranded tyres can’t claim the same."
    https://3mileride.com/salsa-timberjack-20/

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Probably worth putting the update here -- when I emailed Salsa, they indicated that they spec the heavier single-compound version of the Chao Yang tires on their bikes.

I'd tried reaching out to Chao Yang directly to see if anyone carries the lighter version, but haven't heard back and have yet to find them for sale anywhere.