Why Gripshift?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Why Gripshift?

Clever Title
    Nov 2009

Why Gripshift?

I have never been a fan of gripshift (gripshit as I call it) since the day it came out. Every kids bike I look at has gripshifters. My daughter has learned how to use it on her 20" bike, but gets blisters on her thumb because she can't learn how to keep her thumb away from the inner guard on the grip. I'm now shopping for a 24" bike for her and have just come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to switch it out for a real shifter. The cost and work is not at all a big deal to me, but I keep wondering if I'm not understanding the reasoning for these things. Is there a good reason to have them on a kids bike versus thumb shifters? Do kids have problems with the pushing of buttons? My kids don't seem to have problems pushing mine!

EAT MORE GRIME
    some people do have problems

some think it is simpler

old grip shift blew chunks,
    the newest high end stuff works great

kids bikes might come with the sub-par versions (crappy)

I do not know the reasoning but I imagine it is cheaper overall on kids bikes to use the grip shift so certain price points can be met
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I personally love a good gripshift setup but not sure it's ideal for kids as no one makes kid size grip shift and it's probably easier for kids to use adult triggers than adult gripshift. My 4yr old is able to use an x01 trigger shifter. He does have to shift his hand on the grip a bit though, especially to upshift. The low end twist shifters generally suck. So do most other low end shifters though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The gripshift on the riprock worked quite well. Samuel found it easier with small hands to operate rather than triggers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    My 7 year old hates them. A decent setup is the 7speed Altus derailleur with a quality cable and the Acera trigger. The Acera has a slightly longer push lever and makes an easy smooth shift. FYI my 7yo is tiny compared to almost all others his age. However, on the trail he smokes everyone in his age and even some adults. This is even on intermediate trails. Dump the twist. Junk.

Quote Originally Posted by BStrummin View Post
    I have never been a fan of gripshift (gripshit as I call it) since the day it came out. Every kids bike I look at has gripshifters. My daughter has learned how to use it on her 20" bike, but gets blisters on her thumb because she can't learn how to keep her thumb away from the inner guard on the grip. I'm now shopping for a 24" bike for her and have just come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to switch it out for a real shifter. The cost and work is not at all a big deal to me, but I keep wondering if I'm not understanding the reasoning for these things. Is there a good reason to have them on a kids bike versus thumb shifters? Do kids have problems with the pushing of buttons? My kids don't seem to have problems pushing mine!

Clever Title
    Nov 2009
    Update: Found a great deal on a few years old Giant 24" (aluminum frame!), bought the cheap Acera shifter, switched the grip shift out, and she loves it. Now to switch out the 20" bike for the other little one.

Thanks for the input, like I said I was thinking about this and trying to see if I was missing some aspect. My theory was right and my older kid (a small 10 year old with small hands) can operate it fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    If the 24" Giant has a rear cassette you can get a SunRace 10 gear 14-36 and use Deore SLX shifters with XT. Now we talking smooth!

I'm planning a build on a GT Stomper Ace 24 unless I see something speced right for about $600-700. So far they fall short.

Quote Originally Posted by BStrummin View Post
    Update: Found a great deal on a few years old Giant 24" (aluminum frame!), bought the cheap Acera shifter, switched the grip shift out, and she loves it. Now to switch out the 20" bike for the other little one.

Thanks for the input, like I said I was thinking about this and trying to see if I was missing some aspect. My theory was right and my older kid (a small 10 year old with small hands) can operate it fine.

Rides all the bikes!
    I imagine low end GS is cheaper to build, which is why they are on cheap bikes.

On the other hand, I have Sram XX1 Gripshift on one of my XC race bikes, it is the best shifting system I have used, maybe about equal to my DuraAce roadie (toss up between the two).

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by marx68 View Post
    If the 24" Giant has a rear cassette you can get a SunRace 10 gear 14-36 and use Deore SLX shifters with XT. Now we talking smooth!
    What? There's no mention of a 14-36 cassette on Sunrace's website: SunRace | Products

There's no logical reason for a 14-36 cassette to exist since 14-36 is effectively the same range as 11-28.