Whoa - Prevelo 16" Hardtail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Whoa - Prevelo 16" Hardtail

I'm not a big Prevelo fan. Their bikes were OK but lacked anything special, we're a bit heavy and still nearly a 1k$. But man... there new stuff just might be real contenders. Their 16" Hardtail looks freaking dialed! The disk brakes are a nice setup there.

https://prevelobikes.com/collections...ducts/zulu-two

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Should be a nice bike for sure. Rear end looks a bit on the long side. But that's just eyeballing the graphic. Will certainly bring some parents and kids into more aggressive riding earlier. Along with stealing some market from Flow and Shredder. Assuming the price point is lower (it should be). And of course, it could get more kids on Prevelo bikes earlier and create brand loyalty (and the trade up program) so they continue to buy the next and the next from them. it's a smart move.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    The only way I think I could rationalize 1K on this is if we lived near a lift or something like that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Be interesting to see what the price point is and how good that suspension fork is - I believe it's the only 16" wheel suspension fork out there.

What I'm really after though is a geared 16" option. I have a tiny 4 year old on 12" wheels who will move up next season to his sister's old 16" but is ready for gears.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've been keeping an eye out on the specs and price ever since seeing previews.

They actually showed it off back in April:
    https://rascalrides.com/sea-otter-2018-kids-bikes/

The family from The Bike Dads has been testing it out and they have a few videos with their son riding it on YouTube (each of their videos shows the bikes featured in the video). From their posts on Facebook they seemed pretty impressed.

Here's one of their videos:
    https://youtu.be/MiFlG9_HUIc

Some disappointments:
    - 18lb weight sounds high. If I compare stock weight on a Yoji 16 and add in a 20" fork with a 16" tire, I'm pretty sure the weight will be quite a bit less.
    - Freewheel rather than geared or at least cassette cogs. (Shimano BMX cogs for $4-5 on our Yoji have spoiled me).
    - No QR seat clamp

The vertical tire clearance looks pretty high. Not sure if it's a dedicated 16" fork or like most other 16" front suspension bikes that have used a 20" with a 16" tire.

Edit: price is live now and it's open for pre-orders: it's $799.

If you look in the 800 range, that could get you:
    Yoji 16: 380
    Suntour air fork: 125
    Flow 16" disc wheelset: 250 (unsure if possible to buy just a front wheel from Flow for less)
    Front disc brake 50

Alternate possibilities with a 20" fork:
    - clamp on v brake bosses for $40 to use the existing brake and front wheel
    - Rebuild the Yoji front wheel with a disc hub (unsure on cost / effort there)
    Last edited by TimTucker; 10-06-2018 at 03:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TimTucker View Post
    - Freewheel rather than geared or at least cassette cogs. (Shimano BMX cogs for $4-5 on our Yoji have spoiled me).

The vertical tire clearance looks pretty high. Not sure if it's a dedicated 16" fork or like most other 16" front suspension bikes that have used a 20" with a 16" tire.
    Yeah, the freewheel is a huge fail. As is the fixed chainring. 25x14 is too low IMO, and you can't go smaller than 13t on that M30 hub. My son was up to 34x13 by the time he outgrew his Hedgehog. An $800 bike should have a real freehub and a spidered or direct-mount crankset, period.

The fork looks to be a shortened version of whatever non-public Spinner fork Spawn puts Brood stickers on. I'll bet that it's legit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Hard to argue with any of that. Good info guys. I do really like the idea of this bike (fork and disk brakes) but like their other bikes, Prevelo doesn't seem to go the extra mile to make their bikes really dialed... yet they also aren't more affordable either.

Part of me really likes the idea of getting kids going dh on mellow trails early with a bike like this... but the coach in me believes that there are much more pertinent skills to be gained (BMX style) that should be gained at a much higher priority...and it'll save some cash too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Eh' it's a 16" dirt jumper. Going to market whole hog with gears that many kids can't and won't understand/use just keep the bike simple. Look at it like a DJ bike with light duty trail abilities. It's a good effort. A 4-5yr old can just go smash stuff with it. And when they misjudge a jump, the shock will help. If they want to go on a trail ride or gentle gravity ride, they can do that too. Throw some wider bars on it when it starts getting small and keep it around as a dedicated DJ bike for another year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by SactoGeoff View Post
    Eh' it's a 16" dirt jumper. Going to market whole hog with gears that many kids can't and won't understand/use just keep the bike simple. Look at it like a DJ bike with light duty trail abilities. It's a good effort. A 4-5yr old can just go smash stuff with it. And when they misjudge a jump, the shock will help. If they want to go on a trail ride or gentle gravity ride, they can do that too. Throw some wider bars on it when it starts getting small and keep it around as a dedicated DJ bike for another year.
    I *don't think they are talking about putting gears/shifters etc....but having the geared components (freewheel, cranks, chainring etc) to be "configurable" for a kids needs via using standard shimano compatible components. Hence the proper cranks and freewheel.

Being able to swap out a rear cog as a kid grows (or a very light new rider like my 3yro) is super awesome. Want it to grow into a DJ bike like you said? Well swapping the cranks and rear cog for a larger rider is the way that needs to happen for it work well. The Spawn Yoji has all of that out of the box (square taper cranks tho) for like 370$. This bike which will be well over that cost will be a big step back in that direction I'm guessing.
    Last edited by svinyard; 10-08-2018 at 02:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yeah, didn't mean to sound like I thought it should have gears. Quite the opposite, actually. Just the ability to easily change the gear ratio across a wide range to suit kids of varying strengths, riding type, etc. Best way to do that by far is a freehub with a spacer kit and SS cogs, plus a spidered or DM crankset.

To use your DJ example, in that scenario (a bigger kid that has outgrown the bike for normal trail use) the kid is going to need way more gear inches than 25x13 provides.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'd love either way -- cassette cogs are cheap and easy to switch out, but gears would still work well for many kids.

Keep in mind that even if they know nothing about gears or how to work them, a 3-4 year old can certainly appreciate having someone shift into a higher / lower gear before they get on the bike depending on if they're riding paved paths or offroad.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Clearance is big issue on wheels that small. Even a short cage RD is really close to the ground. Chainlines also get really severe when chainstays get that short.