mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Where do all the kids bikes go?

I've got 3 and 5 year old kids and I'm trying to find them decent kids bikes. Where do all of these bikes wind up when kids out grow them? I've been watching the Pink Bike and MTBR classifieds, but I never seem to see anything decent pop up. Is there some secret underground trading network I need to find my way into?

ac

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I very seldom sale them to unknown people. I usually sale or give them to friends or family. I did sale a very nice 16 inch Giant Liv girls bike on craigslist and it lasted all of 45 minutes before it sold.

If they do go up for sale you have to be quick on the draw.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I posted a 16Ē Spawn Banshee on a local(Houston) FB page 2 days ago, and itís still there- I expected it to sell right away with xmas approaching.

since 4/10/2009
    I've bought used bikes for my nieces, and it's always been a matter of opportunity, honestly. Wasn't planning on buying it, but a good deal walked in the door, quite literally.

One day I was standing in the shop buying little maintenance parts for my bikes, and a dude walked in with a pristine balance bike that had only ever been used inside the house because he was getting his daughter a bigger pedal bike. He wanted to trade it in, or sell it back to the shop, and the shop wouldn't deal. The white tires weren't even dirty. I asked him how much he wanted for it, and bought it on the spot for less than half of retail.

That balance bike has been passed from my sister's oldest daughter to her youngest.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by morganintx View Post
    I posted a 16Ē Spawn Banshee on a local(Houston) FB page 2 days ago, and itís still there- I expected it to sell right away with xmas approaching.
    You willing to ship?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Find a local mtb team and try to get dialed in with them. They will have some bikes coming out of it. You are right tho. Not a lot of a decent kid bikes out there for used market. Not a lot of decent kids bikes on the New market either lol.

Keep on Rockin...
    Here....

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2452089/

Shameless spam

Probably too big for your kids though. Its a 24" wheel.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
    You willing to ship?
    I would consider it- Iíve used Bike Flights. Feel free to send me a number and we can move to texting.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've got 3 and 5 year old kids and I'm trying to find them decent kids bikes. Where do all of these bikes wind up when kids out grow them? I've been watching the Pink Bike and MTBR classifieds, but I never seem to see anything decent pop up. Is there some secret underground trading network I need to find my way into?

ac
    When we were BMX racing, lots of people put outgrown bikes up for sale at the track.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    May 2011

ac
    What are you looking for? As others mentioned, Pinkbike seems to be the best for buying/selling used bikes. If you have a model you want to find, just use the key word search function on the left side.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/

For example searching "Spawn" brings up 19 nice looking bikes right now. "Cleary" brings up 3 nice looking Gecko bikes, etc..

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    What are you looking for? As others mentioned, Pinkbike seems to be the best for buying/selling used bikes. If you have a model you want to find, just use the key word search function on the left side.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/

For example searching "Spawn" brings up 19 nice looking bikes right now. "Cleary" brings up 3 nice looking Gecko bikes, etc..
    19? I get 4 results. Only 1 is 20" and of course he isn't interested in shipping. Half of the results are WTBs!

mtbr member
    As my kids have outgrown their bikes, I've sold them on craigslist. They've always moved pretty fast regardless of the time of the the year I listed them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    At least in the UK most seem to go through the informal network before they get advertised.

I've got a friend with 1st refusal on Jnr's XC bike... and 3/4 "please tell me first when he moves on" on his FS....

It's one of those things that once you have the bike you become more aware of... when you're searching it seems like they disappear to the same place as half full disposable ball point pens...

I'd say it certainly helps to attend a few kids events... be they races or whatever and start asking around ... because obviously some bigger kid is going to be changing bike soon ...

After that then pinkbike, FB groups etc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've also tended to find friends kids to pass my kids bikes on to.
    I do have an older 20" Hotrock sitting in my attic that I'd let go to someone who wants to build it up.
    I had it built and under 20lbs. for my middle daughter, but my youngest found a pink one she just had to have, so I'm building it up. I'll use a couple parts off the old hotrock, but not all of it.
    Where are you located?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by indianadave View Post
    I've also tended to find friends kids to pass my kids bikes on to.
    I do have an older 20" Hotrock sitting in my attic that I'd let go to someone who wants to build it up.
    I had it built and under 20lbs. for my middle daughter, but my youngest found a pink one she just had to have, so I'm building it up. I'll use a couple parts off the old hotrock, but not all of it.
    Where are you located?
    Northern NJ

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    My 20lb 20" Haro w/1x9 XT is on PB right now...

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I agree, it's really hard to locate used bikes. Craigslist doesn't allow for a true national search. PinkBike does seem to have more than other places. Ebay is still viable. Facebook marketplace is limiting. The number of channels I watch for friends is mind boggling sometimes. Also, the inventory of high quality used bikes out there is low to begin with.
    Hmm... They say necessity is the mother of invention... hmmm.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    In Utardia, it's KSL Classifieds.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RMCDan View Post
    In Utardia, it's KSL Classifieds.
    There's a nice 16" Purple Spawn Banshee up there! Too bad I'm looking for 20".

ac

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Other places to check: see if local IMBA chapters have any forums or Facebook groups where people can post for sale or wanted posts. Here in Michigan there's both a classifieds forum on the MMBA site and a pretty active Facebook group.

Also worth checking to see if there's are local cycling teams for kids in the area.