What's best 11sp replacement for a SRAM 10sp GX?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

What's best 11sp replacement for a SRAM 10sp GX?

Assuming a 24" bike has a SRAM GX 10sp drive train that is 11-36...whats the best way to get to 11-42 (either 10sp or 11sp)? I looked into SRAM NX but iirc the cassette is a lot heavier. Is Shimano the way to go with mt8000? If shimano is used, would the cranks need to be swapped? I'm guessing not. Also would like to know the rough cost.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've seen Sunrace's CSMX3 10-speed 11-42 cassettes down as low as $40 before coupons on ebay (same seller I was looking at for is back to $55 now, though):
    SunRace | CSMX3

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    +1 for Sunrace MX3, lighter than Shimano and shift just as good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    AH, this is good news (thanks!). Now the trick is, will it work with a GX 2.1 cassette that comes on some of these kids bikes? SRAM indicates that the largest it supports is 11-36 for that derailleur but I'm not sure. Our spawn 20" yama jama is the short cage version of that GX. Wonder if it would work with that??

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    What bike? What size RD?

Cassette weight isn't a huge concern on a HT, but important on FS (sprung vs. unsprung weight, respectively).

If it's a med cage GX RD you can use one of the wide-range 10 sp cassettes and call it a day, e.g. Sunrace MX3, Praxis 11-40, or Shimano HG500.

If it's a short cage RD, you need a new RD. Since you'll need a new RD, M8000 11sp is the way to go.

Existing cranks should be fine. Only reason you'd need to replace them would be if they use a 104 BCD spider and you want to go smaller than 30t on the chainring.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by RMCDan View Post
    What bike? What size RD?

Cassette weight isn't a huge concern on a HT, but important on FS (sprung vs. unsprung weight, respectively).

If it's a med cage GX RD you can use one of the wide-range 10 sp cassettes and call it a day, e.g. Sunrace MX3, Praxis 11-40, or Shimano HG500.

If it's a short cage RD, you need a new RD. Since you'll need a new RD, M8000 11sp is the way to go.

Existing cranks should be fine. Only reason you'd need to replace them would be if they use a 104 BCD spider and you want to go smaller than 30t on the chainring.
    I'm kicking around doing something like this for our 20" Yama Jama. I also really want 11-42 on our next 24" bike. Spawn Rokussuta is only 11-36 and that's not going to cut it. If I recall, both of those bikes may be using the shortcage GX 2.1 10sp. I don't want to go smaller than 30t chainring. I think the Xt8000 replacement stuff (keeping cranks) is around 150$ so not bad.

I'm not decided on any of the bikes yet but there isn't much out there with over 100mm of travel and I'd like 120-140-ish. That new Clash is coming out and I'm guessing Spawn may do an update or something next year as well. We have a bit of time to wait tho. My 51in kid was a bit big on the 24" Yama Jama that he tried out. Which btw that XFusion velvet fork with the tune they had was pretty damn nice. No compression adjustments but it felt smooth as butter. Better than the Monarch stuff.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yes, Spawn spec's short-cage on those bikes. I wouldn't bother on the YJ. I experimented with a med-cage GX RD and Sunrace MX3 cassette on the boy's Flow for a while. I never got it to work quite right. The chainline is just too severe with chainstays that are so short. Never bothered trying it on the Rokkusuta 20 as I assumed things would only get worse when chain growth was thrown into the mix.

M8000 should work on the Rokkusuta 24, though. Propain specs the GX 10-42 cassette on the Yuma.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Yes, Spawn spec's short-cage on those bikes. I wouldn't bother on the YJ. I experimented with a med-cage GX RD and Sunrace MX3 cassette on the boy's Flow for a while. I never got it to work quite right. The chainline is just too severe with chainstays that are so short. Never bothered trying it on the Rokkusuta 20 as I assumed things would only get worse when chain growth was thrown into the mix.

M8000 should work on the Rokkusuta 24, though. Propain specs the GX 10-42 cassette on the Yuma.
    Any word on Propain being able to get a bike to a guy in Oregon? The Yuma is an interesting bike. Its 145mm of travel which is pushing it but whatever I guess. Wheelbase is getting pretty dang long but the chainstays aren't. Kind of reminds me of some of the newer bikes like Ripmo with the longer front end and steeper STA (for a kids bike at least). 26lbs is insane for that bike and the price point. Not a bad setup at all there, even Formula Cura brakes!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    No, doesn't look like it's a possibility any time soon. Just a data point supporting the idea that running an 11-42 cassette on a Rokkusuta 24 should be no problem. Email I got from Propain last month said maybe mid-summer next year for US distribution. Maybe. They don't seem too motivated. People have managed to get the Frechdax, I know one guy personally and I've seen posts here, but it's a huge PITA and shipping is super expensive. Probably better off putting that money/effort towards lightening up a Rokkusuta 24.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    No, doesn't look like it's a possibility any time soon. Just a data point supporting the idea that running an 11-42 cassette on a Rokkusuta 24 should be no problem. Email I got from Propain last month said maybe mid-summer next year for US distribution. Maybe. They don't seem too motivated. People have managed to get the Frechdax, I know one guy personally and I've seen posts here, but it's a huge PITA and shipping is super expensive. Probably better off putting that money/effort towards lightening up a Rokkusuta 24.
    Agreed. The two things that worry me a little bit with the Rokussuta is the really long top tube and super slack STA. I need the bike to do it all kind of like a modern bike and do some pedaling once in a while and not only gravity stuff. I haven't put the kid on it tho so hard to tell.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    One kid I know with the R24 climbs the shit out of it. Yeah, steeper STA would be better, but it climbs just fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    One kid I know with the R24 climbs the shit out of it. Yeah, steeper STA would be better, but it climbs just fine.
    Very cool lol. Yeah Max indicated you can just shove the seat all the way forward and you get a similar STA gaining back that 15mm or so.

Have you put your kid on it? I assuming it's still quite a bit too big.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yeah, he's got some growing to do.