Thread: weeride twist

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

weeride twist

picked up a wee-ride for my 3 year old and she loves it! but i'm having a issue with it twisting my seat. we do mild trails (mostly paved or gravel) not sure if any one else has this problem. i have a Gary fisher mullet. haven't tried it in the wife's giant yet because i know i will be pulling it most of the time.

i did brake clean the seat post and wiped the tube to remove any grease i could reach. not sure what else to try

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    you could try some fiber grip compound on the seatpost.

mtbr member
    My son has as WeeRide for my 4 year old granddaughter. She loves it. It's very well-built unit, especially for $75 at WalMart.

Very familiar with the seat twisting. The solution would be to grind off the little rotation stopper tabs on the WeeRide side of the pivot. It only acts to twist the seat once a turn is tight enough that you hit one of those little tabs. That's the point where it stop pivoting and starts twisting the seat post. The problem is not that your seat post isn't in tight enough, it's that you've exceeded the pivoting limit. If the seat post didn't twist then I suspect something else bad would happen once your turn became tight enough that it pivot hit the limit tabs....not sure what but I doubt it would be good. On the other hand, I'm not sure what the consequences would be if the WeeRide over-pivoted in a too-tight turn after grinding off the tabs. It hasn't happened yet though.

The other problem is that the loop on the attaching arm is shallow enough that if the WeeRide pivots up and down enough, the tire of the tow bike will hit the protruding part of the seat tube, with potentially disastrous results. My son's solution for that was to grind off that protruding part of that seat-post tube and then re-paint. It still rubs occasionally, but it rubs on the loop and at least the tire is no longer in danger of being shredded by the lower end of the seat tube that protrudes when going up over a short-steep hill. My granddaughter is tall enough that she doesn't need the seat to be low enough that the seat height needs that extra 2-3 inches of seat tube.

To be fair, I suspect that that WeeRide was designed for the street, not blue-level mountain bike trails. Overall, it's a nice, cost-effective unit and my granddaughter loves it. It's an interesting way to get a kid into biking rather than the training-wheels routine. She learned to balance on a strider bike (she rode that strider on the mountain bike trails and pump track too) and learned pedaling on the WeeRide. She loves riding the trails and the WeeRide is a great way for her to get out there.

Last edited by Cuyuna; 08-12-2018 at 09:29 AM.