Vitus Nucleus 24 (2020 Model)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Vitus Nucleus 24 (2020 Model)

Hi all,

I ordered a 2020 Vitus Nucleus 24 from CRC on Fri 3/27/20 late chicago time. The order was processed Monday 3/30/20 when they opened. CRC/DHL is showing a thu 4/2/20 deliv date. Pretty amazing it’s a 3 day ship from UK to Chicago.

* my son is 9.5 yrs old and ~ 4’4”
    * coming from a 20” specialized hard rock W a coaster brake. It’s been a good bike.
    * primary use is local, small jump park and zipping around the neighborhood
    * he doesn’t do a lot of trails, hopefully this will change that ... wishful thinking?
    * he wasn’t thrilled with the silver vs his desired blue or black
    * he’s not super excited about gears vs a dedicated DJ (which would be pretty bad for neighborhood / family riding)
    * I looked at other bikes for better weight / component mix, but Vitus Nucleus 24, as many highlighted, is a great mix for price/weight/components
    * I’m a little nervous on geometry for jump park vs other geometries. Worst case is he has a great trail/neighborhood bike and I could buy a dedicated DJ.

I’ll ask some questions in follow up replies.

I’ll be sure to take some pics and some videos of the unpacking and build (I’ve never done a bike build before)

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod181444

Cheers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vitus Nucleus 24 (2020 Model)-4e92cc4f-1c09-4bfe-abd7-66f171679bf3_zpsx9exkpec.jpg  

Vitus Nucleus 24 (2020 Model)-38933dc5-bfb2-4ff9-9d44-9d269927a1fa_zpspaalcspy.jpg  

Last edited by bwwbww; 04-20-2020 at 01:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    A question for those who know the drive train better:
    Altus get mixed reviews and many state regular adjustments are needed. Would it be worth upgrading just the rear derailleur to deore (RD592/9sp) for better performance with less adjustments?

Thx.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Man, that's just an incredible value bike. I love the looks of it too. I would also def keep an eye on Craigslist for a 16" BMX bike too for a 100$ or so. If you are urban riding, that is the ticket for smooth jump lines and pumptracks. Plus they last forever and can be beat on. My kid loves is MTB sled but he'd die before giving up his BMX freestyle bike. Cult/Fit/Wethepeople/Sunday/United/Haro...heck even there is a decent Mongoose BMX again on Amazon if I recall.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    @svinyard, I like the idea of a inexpensive bmx bike too. I’ll have to keep watching CL. Our local bike park is more dirt / rougher vs pump track, etc. Most adults are running FS or DJ.

Example: https://youtu.be/GDjudH0dhCw

DJ with shock would be ideal, but I’m not ready to drop that $ for a dedicated DJ yet. Let’s hope the Vitus does well here.

mtbr member
    I wouldn’t change anything the drivetrain unless you have parts sitting around. I would go to a 28t before changing the cassette to get the gearing a bit better, and just wait the the rd to get smashed before changing it.

At 4’4” I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets to the 26 size pretty quick.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MXIV424 View Post
    I wouldn’t change anything the drivetrain unless you have parts sitting around. I would go to a 28t before changing the cassette to get the gearing a bit better, and just wait the the rd to get smashed before changing it.

I’ll definitely give the Altus RD a shot but for $30 thought why not go deore if it eliminates frequent adjustments.

Agree on 24” being a limited use. I’m hoping he gets 2 seasons vs just this summer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I was on CRC checking a spec and price jumped to $539 vs the $499 I paid on Friday 3/27/20. Not sure if exchange rate related or just demand driven?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bwwbww View Post
    @svinyard, I like the idea of a inexpensive bmx bike too. I’ll have to keep watching CL. Our local bike park is more dirt / rougher vs pump track, etc. Most adults are running FS or DJ.

Example: https://youtu.be/GDjudH0dhCw

DJ with shock would be ideal, but I’m not ready to drop that $ for a dedicated DJ yet. Let’s hope the Vitus does well here.
    The Vitus will be fine for sure. The backend isn't uber long and its not a silly plus tire bike. He'll rip just fine.

That does look like a pretty nice jump line actually. Nice that you have that close by. Here is one a buddy went to the other day (link below). These guys are throwing it too on BMX. Sweet that you have some nice jump lines. My kids only REALLY fell in love with biking when we started jumping. Building some nice wooden booters at home with a decent landing makes a difference as they can ride them all the time, including when its raining.

https://www.facebook.com/rockytopdirtjumps/

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    That jump park looks awesome! Way above my 9yr olds (and mine too) abilities!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    For his size, an 18 inch BMX/Park Bike would be the way to go. Mt daughter is 1 inch shorter and rides a Sunday 18 for Parks and neighborhood beater. Then a Junior for BMX race and the Haro for MTB.

DJ bikes in 24 inch are hard to find, thinking I need to get a Dartmore 24 to the States somehow shortly

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Just bought this bike for my 9 year old. He's coming from a 20" Orbea that served him well.

The Vitus is really nice. We've only ridden local streets and sidewalks, but its well constructed with quality parts. The air fork actually actuates despite him being fairly lightweight, and I was amazed that it made it to Phoenix from the UK in 3 days, especially during a global pandemic.

My son rides a lot of techy singletrack when we're not mostly sheltering in place, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs there. But my early review is very positive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Showed up today. Assembly less in involved than I thought and took 20 min because I did during a conf call.
    Unwrap.
    Put front wheel on.
    Put pedals on.
    Both disc brakes were rubbing / needed adjustment.
    The front skewer only had one spring so I had to steal a spring off my trainer.

Fits my son great and geometry seems like it’ll be a great balance for neighborhood and jump park. Hopefully some trails too. As a trail bike, if he hits a growth streak, it could be a 1 season bike. For jump park the smaller size is nice and could see 2 years easy?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Jumping on his new Nucleus 24

https://youtu.be/LvEivgPReFw

I didn’t upload his pretty good nosedive on a gap jump.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Ha, very nice.

mtbr member

🤙🤙🤙

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I do want to look at new brake levers as he’s moving all fingers from grips to brake levers. The tektro levers aren’t very convenient for 1 finger (or 2 finger) braking.

mtbr member
    I would go to a 28t before changing the cassette to get the gearing a bit better
    Would it be possible to change just the chainring, or you need to change the entire crankset?

rth009
    May 2010

I am curious about the sizing too. My daughter is 4’6” and I think I need to go with the w nucleus 26 even though she’s coming from a 20” salsa timberjack.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I think this will be a 1 season bike ... I hope the resale is good

My son is biking with the neighbor who is on a 24” specialized. Nucleus is definitely more compact. It’s a great fit for him right now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Good job!

A few pics for size reference.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vitus Nucleus 24 (2020 Model)-4e92cc4f-1c09-4bfe-abd7-66f171679bf3_zpsx9exkpec.jpg  

Vitus Nucleus 24 (2020 Model)-00ce1d96-5cd1-413e-aac4-ef435a574d41_zpsfvmpjnls.jpg  

Vitus Nucleus 24 (2020 Model)-097aa2b8-c052-4439-8a2f-f11eecfa0116_zpsakwtvapd.jpg  

Vitus Nucleus 24 (2020 Model)-b1b75951-0c9c-42d3-80b5-4d69c2f40f69_zps7anq5gdv.jpg  

Vitus Nucleus 24 (2020 Model)-38933dc5-bfb2-4ff9-9d44-9d269927a1fa_zpspaalcspy.jpg  

Vitus Nucleus 24 (2020 Model)-74e87cca-eec4-4633-8aca-dc541da1ed6f_zpsmodewiss.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    That bike looks great there. You'd def get another 2yrs extra out of it as a Dirt Jumper-ish (once he grows) if you throw on some high rise bars on it and really up the PSI. It'd be fantastic as that I'm guessing. I see kids do a fair amount of that around here. Looks like you got the dirt jumps too

Resale on a good, airfork, hydraulic brake, hardtail like this will be strong.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    A few pics for size reference.

Your kid sends it bigger than I do. I am too old and heal too slow. Or I just don't have the marbles.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    He’s definitely fearless. And, was back at it after his pretty rough nose dive ...

Vitus Nucleus 24 (2020 Model)-4aee3c3a-3f09-4c94-bdaf-f9b666afb7fe_zpsk4cfkkbp.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by solitone View Post
    Would it be possible to change just the chainring, or you need to change the entire crankset?
    Should be the same as our Norco so you would need to change the crank. These new ones are 30t I believe so 30/11-36 is pretty good. I just don’t think a large cassette with short chainstays lead to a good chainline and shifting. Also, kids this size don’t typically need the top speed of a 30 or larger ring. My vote would be to go 28 or 26 on the ring and keep the relatively small, light, and cheap 11-36 cassette.

Quote Originally Posted by rth009 View Post
    I am curious about the sizing too. My daughter is 4’6” and I think I need to go with the w nucleus 26 even though she’s coming from a 20” salsa timberjack.
    I’m only speaking from a general mtb/xc viewpoint, DJ or dh would be a little different...
    At 4’6” I’d be looking at a XS (12-14”) 27.5 wheeled bike. That size should fit perfect for 4’7” to 5’1” ish. Aside from that, the 26 Nucleus would be great as well and is a really great value for what it is, especially compared to hunting down a decent Xs 27.5 for a good price.

mtbr member
    He looks great on it 👍

rth009
    May 2010
    At 4’6” I’d be looking at a XS (12-14”) 27.5 wheeled bike. That size should fit perfect for 4’7” to 5’1” ish. Aside from that, the 26 Nucleus would be great as well and is a really great value for what it is, especially compared to hunting down a decent Xs 27.5 for a good price.

I got the Nucleus 26, arrived yesterday, for my 4'6" almost 9 year old daughter. very nice bike, and it was riding great in ten minutes. It is a little big for her (especially those 700mm wide bars), but she can ride it and there is plenty of room for her to grow. The seat goes down plenty low enough, but there is not quite enough standover to make for easy mounting/dismounting, but she'll get used to it. I think cutting down the handlebars 3/4" inch on each side will help. As it is, she has a hard time turning the handlebars given the longish top tube and wide bars.

One thing I was disappointed in is that the fork says the same pressure for anyone 140 pounds or under. She is only 65 pounds and at the lowest recommended pressure, she cant even make the fork compress. its the "Spinner 300 26 Air RLC 100mm travel, QR, Lockout, 1 1/8" steerer" Anyone have experience setting this fork up for lighter riders?

mtbr member
    Very cool!

I know vitus specs a short stem (which is great to see) but you can get down to a 32mm with an cheap amazon stem. Forgive me for saying this if you already know but you can flip the stem so it points down and put the spacers on top of the stem if that would help the fit too. My oldest is on the 32mm stem flipped down with 660 bars iirc for the xs27.5. Was planning to go back to the 50mm this summer but know there’s no racing so whatever

I just set the sag to 15%-20% regardless of the pressure table suggestion. The fork isn’t particularly amazing so I don’t think it’s worth doing more than that.

rth009
    May 2010
    Thanks, I hadnt considered shortening the stem, but that may be a good call as well. 18mm is almost 2 cm, so maybe I should try that before cutting those bars. As far as flipping the stem, it doesnt look like bar height is an issue, but I will check that out as well.

I'm gonna mess with the sag settings and I'll report back if I find a solution.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Looks like the 24” is out of stock....
    shopping for my soon to be 7 year old. Prevelo alpha three is getting a little small.

Sweet pics!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I strongly considered a Pello based on geometry but it was out of stock. We are very happy with the Vitus nucleus.

https://www.pellobikes.com/bike-shop/reyes?aff=3

rth009
    May 2010

I know vitus specs a short stem (which is great to see) but you can get down to a 32mm with an cheap amazon stem. Forgive me for saying this if you already know but you can flip the stem so it points down and put the spacers on top of the stem if that would help the fit too. My oldest is on the 32mm stem flipped down with 660 bars iirc for the xs27.5. Was planning to go back to the 50mm this summer but know there’s no racing so whatever
    The stem on our Vitus Nucleus 26 is 40mm, so the 32mm would only reduce it 8mm. I cut an inch off the 700mm bars on each side, and they are now 660mm, and I also switched the spacers on steerer tube around a bit to lower the bars about 3/8". That combination appears to have improved the fit. Still need to work on the fork sag.

rth009
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Boondock77 View Post
    Looks like the 24” is out of stock....
    shopping for my soon to be 7 year old. Prevelo alpha three is getting a little small.

Sweet pics!
    Vitus bikes just responded to an email I had sent them previously, and they noted: "They are out of stock on Wiggle and CRC at the moment, but they're due a delivery next week." Not sure if this is in reference to the 24, as I was asking about the 26, but maybe . . .

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rth009 View Post
    Vitus bikes just responded to an email I had sent them previously, and they noted: "They are out of stock on Wiggle and CRC at the moment, but they're due a delivery next week." Not sure if this is in reference to the 24, as I was asking about the 26, but maybe . . .

Thanks for the heads up. Leaning this way for him

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I just made a derailleur hanger replacement purchase. My boy was jumping in the backyard and hit his derailleur on a poor landing. Snapped the hanger. A $20 order and 4 day shipping from the UK and LBS bent Altus RD back to square and he’s up and going again. I bought an extra just in case.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vitus Nucleus 24 (2020 Model)-41347d5a-d032-42dd-9ee5-0b8188c07f1c.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Still out of stock...
    anybody hear from vitus? Not going to have any stock until the 2021 drops?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thought I’d share another pic of goofing in backyard on a little kicker we built (Seth bike hacks) during quarantine:

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Here’s the kicker we built
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vitus Nucleus 24 (2020 Model)-145f18a5-5bfc-43c1-b168-c9315199ac0f.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    ha, sweet. Looks like he is throwing a little steez in there. That grass looks like an awesome landing pad.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    ha, sweet. Looks like he is throwing a little steez in there. That grass looks like an awesome landing pad.
    I need to build a new one a little bigger with a landing “ramp” too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boondock77 View Post
    Still out of stock...
    anybody hear from vitus? Not going to have any stock until the 2021 drops?
    I ordered it from CRC on April 19, they shipped it on Apr 23, and as of Apr 24 I have no further info about it!

Vitus Nucleus 24 (2020 Model)-screenshot-2020-05-27-08.45.38.jpg

I contacted CRC several times, but till now they've not found my shipment! And now it's out of stock...

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by solitone View Post
    I ordered it from CRC on April 19, they shipped it on Apr 23, and as of Apr 24 I have no further info about it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2020-05-27 at 08.45.38.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	1336573

I contacted CRC several times, but till now they've not found my shipment! And now it's out of stock...
    Wow brutal. That’s way too long.
    The Vitus we ordered from them took 5-6 days to arrive.

Hope you get the bike real soon.