Used Spawn Savage 1.0 rebuild...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Used Spawn Savage 1.0 rebuild...

So I bought a used Spawn Savage 1.0 and stripped it down and rebuilt it with mostly used parts laying around. My main goal was to have good parts that were similar or the same as my bikes so I could work on them and possibly even interchange if desperate.

I tore it down and greased the headset and cranks. Then I replaced the mechanical discs with SRAM Guide RS. For the drive train I did a SRAM GX DH 7spd and a 30t e13 ring up front. Then I slapped on 20 year old pair of OURY grips for fun.

My daughter wonít get to try it until her birthday next week, but I hope she will like it.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Nice work! I love the dh drivetrain for a kids bike. Nice and light and the cage isn't dragging the ground. My son's flow is sporting the xo1 7spd setup. Works great for him.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    New twist, my ex bought our daughter a new bike for her place. Itís a Diamondback Lustre 20. I approved it before she bought it, but she tried to assemble it herself. My soon to be 7 year old fell on the first ride and the handlebars fell off. I brought the bike home when I picked her up today and gave it a good once over and itís running smooth and is set up the best I could. It will be interesting to see what my daughter thinks of the differences when she gets the Spawn on Wednesday. The brakes are a huge difference! I got the V brakes pretty dialed, but they are much harder to pull than the hydro discs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Nice! Something tells me she's going to like the spawn WAY better. What's the weight difference?

mtbr member
    The Spawn is about 5 lbs lighter at the moment. Iíve ordered the Suntour Air fork that others have done and it should only net about 1.5 lbs more.

The DB is surprisingly not bad for the $170 price tag. Not sure Iíd want her taking it too far off road, but around the neighborhood Iíd give it 1 . Unfortunately, they donít make it anymore.

mtbr member
    Iím not good at leaving well enough alone...

It added 1.77 lbs to full rigid. Sitting at 22.58 lbs. at the moment. Which is not too bad for a bike with a drive train and brakes found on some full size DH bikes!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    nice work!