Upgrade or New bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2020

Upgrade or New bike?

Hello,

Need suggestions on what to do next. My son is turning 12, 5 tall, weighs 117lbs and is currently riding a Scott Spark 24 upgraded with disc brakes upgraded cockpit and Rock Shox Psylo. Im looking at upgrading the rear shock but dont know if its worth the investment at this point. He hasnt ridden any trails that are to crazy but wants to ride the trails in snow summit. Should I upgrade the shock ($75) and upgrade when he outrides this bike or start looking for a long travel 26 or 27.5 now?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    A 5ft tall kid does not need to be on a 24 bike. Get him some larger wheels and be amazed at the instant progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g=9.764m/s2
    Agreed, a 26 Jeffsy Primus is designed for 57 to 63. Being he is already 5, he has entered the 27.5 range...

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Undescended View Post
    Agreed, a 26 Jeffsy Primus is designed for 57 to 63. Being he is already 5, he has entered the 27.5 range...
    Yep.

RAKC
    Except get off the wheel size versus height thing. Know a kid who was 5' smoking many riders on a 29er. Wheel size has jack crap to do with it, frame size. This isnt walmart here people.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Except get off the wheel size versus height thing. Know a kid who was 5' smoking many riders on a 29er. Wheel size has jack crap to do with it, frame size. This isnt walmart here people.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    For anything smaller than a 27.5 bike, wheel size equates to frame size for a current bike. The kid is 5 and almost 120 pounds. Hes darn near an adult. Throwing any more money at a 24 bike for him makes zero sense.

24 bikes are for 7-9 year olds that are 6-12 shorter than him and half his weight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Thanks for the responses. Ive been out of the downhill game for quite a few years
    (late 90s) and overwhelmed by all of the advancements. I figured he had outgrown his bike when he started bottoming out his rear shock. Hes actually 49 but competes in jiu jitsu and is solid not fat. Lol
    What bikes do you guys recommend? I know thats a open ended question but I need somewhere to start. I also have to look for a new bike for myself so price will be a factor with the purchase of two bikes.

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Yeah a Small 27.5 (not XS typically) is going to usually be the right size...especially in a last-gen bike. I went down the rabbithole and found some pretty sweet used/sorta new options in this size in the link below. Size small used bikes are often under used (the GF bike scenario) and there is a much smaller market for them too...so you can often find a deal. Worth checking out. Always nice to keep the chainstays on the shorter side (430mm or less) if possible. You def want 27.5 wheels and appropriate sized frame.

https://forums.mtbr.com/families-rid...t-1133521.html