Uber Grom - Notice the Bike Choices over the yrs- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Uber Grom - Notice the Bike Choices over the yrs

It seems like "Which bike to buy?" is always a solid topic on here. I think these guys did it right, especially early in the years in not focusing on a big wheeled bike to roll down the hill with plus tires, but more importantly a nice little bike that enables skill development. And this kid has more skill than we've ever seen I think. I think the Bike choices that this Dad picked were solid choices.

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/497594

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Seems like they skipped the "which bike?" question entirely and went for a wide variety of bikes, including MX.

It would be interesting to find out which he's actually spent the most time riding -- the videos give a good indication that his most impressive tricks are on smaller bikes, but that may or may not tell the full story.

I saw a 20" BMX race bike @ 6.

From one of the other videos @ 8, it looks like a green 20" Spawn Kotori and a blue 24" Spawn Yama Jama -- would be curious when he started on those:
    https://www.pinkbike.com/video/497268/

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Highly doubt they skipped it (tho I hear you man, that kid has almost every bike lol) . No way this kid turns out like this without a fair amount of intention. I think all of those bikes fit him pretty good and certainly haven't held him back aside from the DH race, he needs a FS there. Fwiw if you see some other super Groms like Gavin at Lil Shredder and Goldstone too, their early bike choices are very similar. Lots of DJ and BMX focus early on and skipping the long heavy plus bike nonsense while putting in time at BMX, skate parks, jump lines and skills parks. Out of all of those litany of bikes what you don't see is him sitting and rolling down the mountain on big plus tires tires on a heavy bike. The big box manuf like Spesh, Norco, Giant etc need to stop selling kids on that stuff and just make cheaper versions of what Spawn, Trail Craft, Flow etc are doing. It works.

Def a BMX race bike (they are ultra light with 20" wheels) as he is top 5 in the world racer iirc. That's a specific bike for a specific purpose and very expensive usually. Not something kids need unless they are racing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I didn't mean to imply that there wasn't intention involved, just that it's a very different approach than many people here come with when asking the question.

The question usually boils down to: "If I can only get 1 bike for my kid, what should I get?"

Going out and buying the most appropriate bikes for each different type of riding takes an end run around that (much like skipping the debate of "Should I buy a HT or FS?" by just getting both).

In any case, he seems very lucky to have had a combination of innate skill, parents able to afford and willing to support his riding, and relatively close proximity to good places to train.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TimTucker View Post
    Going out and buying the most appropriate bikes for each different type of riding takes an end run around that (much like skipping the debate of "Should I buy a HT or FS?" by just getting both).
    n+1 FTW

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Lol Dan. Thats the right answer.

I think Tim your question is the magic one. The early part of that video highlights the answer tho. A super light, rigid DJ bike with meaty tires (NOT plus) is the ultimate bike for any parent with a newer rider. It can ride trails, it can hit the skate park, it can hit jump lines, it can BMX race at entry level, etc etc....all while most importantly fostering skill development which equals fun.

The problem is that while Spawn makes them in 16" and 14" (and kids can ride them a LOT longer as they grow btw) but they don't exist for 20" or 24" in under 400$ packages. So a parent either has to drop like 600$+ on a bike for their unskilled rider or go for a cheap bike that sucks. (and they do suck). Spesh, Norco, Giant, Trek all make trash right now for the money but if they just copied a Spawn Yoji in 16"-24" it'd be pretty sick and would support the next generation beyond just rolling over stuff.

Case in point, a couple of buddies bought their boys a Giant rigid 20" and a Raleigh Rowdy 20". Now that they are actually riding, they do nothing but moan about how bad their kids bikes are. They go to our dirt skills park and can do nothing but just roll over stuff. The chainstays are a MILE long, the bikes heavy, tires suck, seat is super high, etc and they weren't free either. Really impacts the kids. Now they are shopping for a second 20" bike to replace them. When they swap to a proper bike, its night and day out there. In addition the whole "one bike quiver for kids" needs to function for more than just a flat trail or mild downhill trail. It needs to work for the skills park, skate park, BMX park, jump lines (the little progressive ones) etc etc. And these big long bikes are the worst for most everything other than sit and pedal.

I just went around the horn on the bigger manuf checking in on their 20" bikes:

Giant: trash
    Spesh: trash
    Trek: Trash
    Norco: GOOD!?

New Norco Samuria is freaking 269$ and a sick little DJ looking bike!? Cranks are even decent and has some gears with a 30t chainring. Nice to see at least one decent option on the cheap!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Sometimes I wonder if the archaic CPSC regulations are part of why you don't see as much innovation in kids bikes from any of the major US-based brands.

Most of the big developments seem to be coming out of Europe and Canada (Norco / Spawn / Cleary).

Canyon has a particularly interesting looking range they introduced last year, but they haven't brought them to the US yet.
    Highlights:
    - Hybrid 16"/18"
    https://www.canyon.com/kids/

Vitus is one I'd keep watching on the price / performance front -- their 2019 line seems like a big jump forward.
    Highlights:
    - 1.9kg balance bike for <$50
    - 24" / 20" w/ air fork & hydro disc brakes for ~$500
    - 20" "plus" (2.6" tires) w/ short chainstays for ~$350 (weight isn't too bad at 22lbs vs. the usual 30+lb beasts with 2.8/3" tires)
    Vitus

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by TimTucker View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if the archaic CPSC regulations are part of why you don't see as much innovation in kids bikes from any of the major US-based brands.

Most of the big developments seem to be coming out of Europe and Canada (Norco / Spawn / Cleary).

Canyon has a particularly interesting looking range they introduced last year, but they haven't brought them to the US yet.
    Highlights:
    - Hybrid 16"/18"
    https://www.canyon.com/kids/

Vitus is one I'd keep watching on the price / performance front -- their 2019 line seems like a big jump forward.
    Highlights:
    - 1.9kg balance bike for <$50
    - 24" / 20" w/ air fork & hydro disc brakes for ~$500
    - 20" "plus" (2.6" tires) w/ short chainstays for ~$350 (weight isn't too bad at 22lbs vs. the usual 30+lb beasts with 2.8/3" tires)
    Vitus
    Good stuff Tim, you might be on to something with the CPSC, its pretty useless. Vitus could kill it here with that 500$ hardtail. Calibre (I bought their DJ bike and its SICK) is doing kids bikes later this summer. Those dudes make an insanely nice bike for the price. better than anything i've seen. Here's hoping they can do the same for kids. It was only 50$ to ship the bike to my house in 5 days.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Other European companies to add to the list:

Cube
    - 18" rigid @ 16.5lbs

Rosssignol
    - Reasonably priced 20" / 24" FS mystery bikes that no one seems to have actually tried in the wild or be able to get detailed specs on. It does look like a few shops had them listed last year as rentals, so presumably someone has tried them and at least knows how much they weigh.

I figure as long as the 16" Yoji I'm working on modifying lasts us through 2019, there should be even more options for 2020.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    The Rossy stuff is odd. Even they don't know much about it (I called them).

The cube stuff (unless I looked at diff bike) is interesting as is the Canyon stuff... tho they are just long bikes still with no suspension. After watching those kids on Giants rigid version with similar geo I really don't like the idea of a rigid fixie with that geo. I think the Spawn/Prevelo hardtail design is spot on (especially Prevelo 67hta) but if it's cheaper rigid, it means the kids aren't riding big trail stuff on it and hence the more DJ style would be better and work better as a single bike because itll be great on mild trails but also sick for the pumptrack, skate park etc.