Turning Kids bike into Balance Bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Turning Kids bike into Balance Bike

Has anyone taken a bike like the Norco Blaster 12 or Specialized Riprock and taken the cranks off and used it as a balance bike?

My daughter is about to turn 3 and she has the smallest balance bike on the market (Frog Tadpole mini). She needs a bigger bike but Im not sure shes quite ready to jump into a pedal bike. Im assuming by age 4 she could be pedaling so just trying to spend my money in an efficient way.

How you dealt with the growth/development of your little shredder?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I bought a Spawn Yoji 16" for mine, took the pedals off and it became her balance bike.

She ripped around on that until she felt she was ready for pedals. Took her about 30 minutes to get used to the pedals, skipping training wheels. Now she saw her friends with training wheels and wants to try, but when realizing how it holds her back, demanded that I take them off again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes, my guy got a 14 Woom when he was 3 and I pulled the cranks off after he decided he didn't want to pedal. I built a set of pegs that bolted onto the crank spindle so he had a place to put his feet, but in the end just pulling the pedals off is fine. He rode it that way for over a year before deciding to pedal. Now at almost 5 he's ripping around on pedals and has pretty much outgrown the 14"er

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I had Specialized 12" and Trek 20" bikes for my daughter, but was never happy with how they fit or the performance of them. When my son was old enough for a pedal bike, I bought a Spawn Banshee (16"). The new Yogi's like Silvestri mentioned, you can slam the seat even lower than the Banshee. So your little one shouldn't have a problem coming off a balance bike. These bikes are amazing. They are expensive, but if you have the money up front, you can easily sell them at 75% of new retail. I've justified this with a Spawn 16", 20",and 24"! My kids have always had top of the line bikes, and it really didn't cost me a whole lot in the end.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    For our first child we just took the cranks off of his cheap Diamondback 12". Our second child was gifted a Strider balance bike. The actual balance bike was a bit nicer and had a better spot to put their feet. However both kids were riding with pedals and no training wheels at age 3 so they weren't on the balance bike for that long. Just long enough to figure out how to balance and then moved onto the next step. I've seen other children stay on the balance bike longer in which case the real thing might work better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    We didn't, his balance bike was a scooter. I wanted to keep the two seperate and to be honest it's easier to carry a scooter than a balance bike
    He had a 3 wheel scooter at 18 mo then graduated to a 2 wheel.... whilst riding with training wheels on a rubbish 12" wheel BSO. The training wheels were moved higher and higher until they were really barely doing anything

One day he wanted to ride without so I took them off and he quite literally just rode off top the end of the closed in street and turned round and came back.

If we had gone the balance bike route though I'd just whip off the cranks... IMHO it's just a phase to go through and a bit of fun more than taking it too seriously.

mtbr member
    I did this for my now-5yo when he got too big for his Strider, with a Blank Spark, a bmx-looking thing from CRC.

My boy-twin is too big for this, he's 16er size before he can balance, and the girl-twin is too small, she'll be ready to pedal before she's 16er size. Might wind up with 12" pedal bike and 16er balance bike. Ha!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks everyone for your input. I ended up picking this bad boy up this weekend: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...colorCode=blue

I can pull the cranks if needed but that will leave the crankset axle sticking out on each side. Standover is about 15" and my daughter has a 12" inseam, so might need to stick with the training wheels for a bit. My wife seems a bit worried, but I think our girl will embrace the challenge.