Trying to decide what to get my 4 year old any help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Trying to decide what to get my 4 year old any help

My son will be 4 in a month. He currently rides a specialized hotrock 12”. It has the flat bars like a mountain bike and coaster brakes. He isn’t big for his age but the bike looks extremely small for him. He is about 39”’. I was looking at getting something like a 14” kink but I think he would like to go ride on the trails with me from time to time.. There isn’t a shop within hours of me to actually go check something out other than trek spesh or giant. The searching I did showed the specialized 12” to be smaller than most 12” bikes. It looks like the spawn yoji is the top recommended but I hate to drop 400 on something he’s gonna have to upgrade soon. Any advice on what I should get.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    He's pretty solidly in the recommended height range for the Yoji 16.

It's a great little bike - Spawn also sells a set of taller riser bars for another $35 that would make it closer to a bmx and get you a little longer life out of it as he gets taller.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Yojiiiiii. Those are great bikes. My 4yo (now 5) has ridden the heck of it. He is doing about 7 to 8m shuttle rides up mellow greens with some mellow blues in there too.

Its kind of like a Rigid Dirt Jumper and should be ridden like it when they are this little and developing bike handling skills. There are times when he should def be riding more of a MTB but he does pretty dang good. I think the bike would be a bit more capable/less twitchy if they HTA was 69d instead of 72d tho and still plenty nimble. Its super light weight as well.

4yro:
    Trying to decide what to get my 4 year old any help-aidan_jump.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Is that a kids bell super helmet? I haven’t seen a kids version. That’s a awesome picture for a 4yo

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    It's a size small adult Super 2R helmet. It's still a little big but def fits better than a small Proframe.

turtles make me hot
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    Yojiiiiii. Those are great bikes. My 4yo (now 5) has ridden the heck of it. He is doing about 7 to 8m shuttle rides up mellow greens with some mellow blues in there too.

Its kind of like a Rigid Dirt Jumper and should be ridden like it when they are this little and developing bike handling skills. There are times when he should def be riding more of a MTB but he does pretty dang good. I think the bike would be a bit more capable/less twitchy if they HTA was 69d instead of 72d tho and still plenty nimble. Its super light weight as well.

4yro:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aidan_Jump.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	182.0 KB 
ID:	1277033
    Spawn Yoji. It's a fantastic kids bike.