Transition Ripcord - 2019 Upgraded?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2019

Transition Ripcord - 2019 Upgraded?

I thought i had read that transition upgraded the wheelset on the 2019 ripcords. Mine came with DHFs front and rear, but the wheels are a few gms heavier than the wheels on the diamondback syncrs I have. I wasnt expecting crest weights, but I was expecting 17-1800. Did the dealer throw the wrong wheels on, were no changes made or were they even heavier before?Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    they will probably be around 2kg or a little below. straight gauge spokes, heavy hubs and cheap rims.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 430 hp 70 View Post
    I thought i had read that transition upgraded the wheelset on the 2019 ripcords. Mine came with DHFs front and rear, but the wheels are a few gms heavier than the wheels on the diamondback syncrs I have. I wasnt expecting crest weights, but I was expecting 17-1800. Did the dealer throw the wrong wheels on, were no changes made or were they even heavier before?Thanks!
    Transition went from Kenda Kinetic 2.5" tires (2.3") to Maxxis DHF this season. This is the only change I think. The wheelset is about 2000 grams if memory serves. A lighter fork, wheelset and new tires will shed over 4 pounds. DHF's are 800 gram tires and a bit overkill on a 100mm travel 24" bike! A great tire if bike is used primarily used on the uplift/park riding.
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    The new bike weighed almost exactly 29lbs with the dhfs and stock pedals. I thought they were over 30lbs based on my forum searches and either read or was told they changed the wheels to lighten them. But, the specs read the same between the years and they're heavy as hell. I'll call tomorrow and ask.

I also have one ripcord with crest wheels and brood tires. Since the dealer decided to give me two dhfs with the new bike, I'm just going to run one on the front of each bike with the broods in the back. Current bike is 25.9 lbs with pedals, nx 1x11, crest, brood and lev dropper. I'm going to change the bars and pedals to make up for the heavier dhf. Still not super light, but my boys don't seem to mind.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Confirmed the wheels weren't upgraded like you guys stated. Looks like I'll add that to the list of upgrades. They're super nice bikes, but transition could do better adding lighter wheels, shorter cranks and a better brake lever.

If you haven't seen the 2019 orange in person, check it out. Probably my favorite color on any bike thus far. Pics don't do it justice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by 430 hp 70 View Post
    Confirmed the wheels weren't upgraded like you guys stated. Looks like I'll add that to the list of upgrades. They're super nice bikes, but transition could do better adding lighter wheels, shorter cranks and a better brake lever.

If you haven't seen the 2019 orange in person, check it out. Probably my favorite color on any bike thus far. Pics don't do it justice.
    I love Transition, but weight consciousness doesn't seem to be a big factor in their design matrix.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I have a Ripcord for my daughter and it weighs 22.1# ready to ride with a Brood up front and a Rocket Ron in the rear. It's just got some lightweight short cranks, Crest wheels, and inexpensive CF bars, seat post & seat. Plus a light stem and grips and some old high end flats on it.

The lower weight compared to her previous bike really improved her riding as she only weighs 48#s.

She doesn't need any more suspension or tires for the light trail riding that she does. Although when she had a Rocket Ron up front it pushed a lot on her.

She rode Slaughter Pen and Red Barn in Bentonville on the bike like a champ (downhill) but even with a light build she struggles to climb for more than 30' or so. She just poops out, but then getting my kid to even eat takes an act of God so she struggles with energy.

I'd love to use one of these elastic straps to tow her up grades but have concerns about the load that would place on my cf frame and dropper post.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    I'd love to use one of these elastic straps to tow her up grades but have concerns about the load that would place on my cf frame and dropper post.
    I read your concern and thought I had to share the solution I use, see separate thread here https://forums.mtbr.com/families-rid...l#post14217313

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Note that 24" DHF's come in a few flavors with different weights. The folding variants are 750g-800g, and wire bead version is 1,155g each. Wowsers!

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    It would be silly to redesign the Ripcord as it's geo is nearly ideal for it's intended application.
    The improvement needs to occur in the parts spec as that is the low hanging fruit. First, proper cranks should be standard on even the lowest build kit. The stock crank length just doesn't fit the riders. If they have to raise the price $50 than so be it.
    Then upgraded wheels and forks should be an optional build kit.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    These are the "lighter" dhfs at about 775. Wheels were about 2300 gms.

I'm not sure what to do about the cranks. My plan was to move the 155 nx to my 9 yo's ripcord and the current 135 flows on that bike to his younger brothers new ripcord. My 9 yo is 4'6" and Trailcraft says to go with their 152 at 4'6". Based on inseam and height formula he should be on 140ish.

Not a ton of options out there;

Flow 135
    Spawn 145
    Trailcraft 140 and 152

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The bike park at Mount Hood is selling off its rental fleet including some Ripcords for $1000 in case anyone is looking.

https://www.timberlinelodge.com/moun...eid=64149176dd
    2013 Salsa Horsethief 2 (ironically, bike was stolen)
    2015 Salsa Beargrease 2
    2018 Yeti SB4.5

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by thecreeper23 View Post
    The bike park at Mount Hood is selling off its rental fleet including some Ripcords for $1000 in case anyone is looking.

https://www.timberlinelodge.com/moun...eid=64149176dd

The bike park at Massanutten in Virginia periodically does the same, if anyone is interested on the East Coast...

Great little bikes....almost pulled the trigger on one myself, but ultimately decided to go with a Trailcraft Pineridge.