Trailcraft pineridge build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Trailcraft pineridge build

Just got some of my sons new bike together.still need to remove my son's shimano xt brakes off of his old bike. Also waiting on a friends used race face turbine bar and 35mm stem. I ordered a shifter cable kit. also moving over son's bmx pedals. Thanks to Brett from trailcraft for helping me out with the tubeless set up. orange seal is the way to go!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trailcraft pineridge build-img_1494.jpg  

Trailcraft pineridge build-img_1493.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    does anyone have info regarding how much weight is needed to push down a ks lev seat post ? My son is only 52 pounds. I might need to run a carbon seat post at first.

I am hoping to have the build come out around 22 pounds, I will post the weight when finished

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    just leave the dropper on. Even if you have to manually push it down for him it makes a difference.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Update, my son can not push the dropper down but he can utilize the seat up option.Trailcraft pineridge build-img_1510.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Completed build. looks like the seat post might be just slightly too tall. I Trailcraft pineridge build-img_1512.jpgTrailcraft pineridge build-img_1511.jpgTrailcraft pineridge build-img_1519.jpgcan not lower it anymore. We will see for sure on the first ride, only 10 degrees today,brrr.

22.8 pounds with the dropper post! Very happy with the frame,wheels, crank set I got from Brett @ trailcraft!
    My son is so excited to climb the Colorado trails with me. He should have no problem keeping up with his friends and passing them!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    50 psi, in the air fork set the sag to 25% but with my son just riding in the front yard looks like I should add more air because the zip tie was 2/3 's of the way up the stanchions.
    I cut the bars at 720mm. This is the same as the biamondback line 24. looks too wide but might be because I am familiar with seeing my son on his old riprock.

I have the Ashima Ai2 rotors coming from e-bay. This should save 100 grams.

I was thinking about starting with 20 psi in the tires.

When mounting the tires "rocket rons"they felt very thin! great for saving weight but,wondering if I am going to get very good at changing flats?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jasontech17 View Post
    50 psi, in the air fork set the sag to 25% but with my son just riding in the front yard looks like I should add more air because the zip tie was 2/3 's of the way up the stanchions.
    I cut the bars at 720mm. This is the same as the biamondback line 24. looks too wide but might be because I am familiar with seeing my son on his old riprock.

When mounting the tires "rocket rons"they felt very thin! great for saving weight but,wondering if I am going to get very good at changing flats?
    Just seeing your post for the first time - very interesting. My daughter needs a 24" bike and I am thinking about going this route. Not quite sure if the wife will go for it, but when my daughter is finished with it, my son will be next in line so we would get lots of years of use out of it.

I gather you went for the option of buying the frame/shock/wheels and adding the rest of the components? I'm curious what rear derailleur you are running. I'm a little nervous about how much ground clearance there is with a 10/11/12 speed rear derailleur.

Keep updating this post - I'll be curious to hear what your experience is. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    This does seem really wide. Although I suspect the handlebars on my 10 year old's 20" Hotrock aren't much different. I was looking at him on it today and thinking that I should probably cut them back a bit. It seems to me that general guidance is around the distance between the palms when doing a pushup - is that true for kids? I'd certainly want them to be a little wider to give him room to grow, but right now it looks almost comical.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Update, my son can not push the dropper down but he can utilize the seat up option
    I ended up with a Thomson on my sons bike. It still requires he bounces his weight to get it down but at least he can.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by SqueakyWheel73 View Post
    This does seem really wide. Although I suspect the handlebars on my 10 year old's 20" Hotrock aren't much different. I was looking at him on it today and thinking that I should probably cut them back a bit. It seems to me that general guidance is around the distance between the palms when doing a pushup - is that true for kids? I'd certainly want them to be a little wider to give him room to grow, but right now it looks almost comical.
    Itís pretty personal.preference and type of riding .. the old road bike width (as described) being the short side. Just put some adult grips on and test.. if they like the width when riding you can cut the difference between adult and grim sized grips off.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

I'd cut the bars down further than 720 to 660-680 max and wouldn't bother with the ashima rotors. Don't fall into the trap of weight saving particularly with the brake discs.

The rons are thin but so long as you are not riding anywhere that will rip the side wall or cause pinch flats they will be fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by POAH View Post
    The rons are thin but so long as you are not riding anywhere that will rip the side wall or cause pinch flats they will be fine.
    That is not exactly a ringing endorsement

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    my son did talk me into a ride yesterday. new bike day!
    I was so impressed!
    my son is a great soccer player and is running all the time. but on his old bike riding with me i would need to remind him to speed up and keep pedaling up the hills. with the 24 inch trailcraft he took off like a ROCKET! can not believe the difference. not sure if its the 24 inch tires or that the new bike at 22.8 pounds is close to 10 pounds lighter then his old bike. he also after just a little practice can have full operation on the ks lev dropper post. Trailcraft is making mountain biking a totally different experience for kids.

I think my son is even riding fast enough to ride with me and the guys!

After the first ride i think bars are cut to a good width.

rear derailleur is shimano deore m6000 I think meduime cage. I got the cage from looking at the Trailcraft web sight and just ordered it some sights said meduim cage and others just said the modle number with no decripton. the derailleur looks very low. looks the same as my sons old bike derailleur " distance to the ground" no problems and my son has quit a few miles on the old bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by POAH View Post
    wouldn't bother with the ashima rotors. Don't fall into the trap of weight saving particularly with the brake discs.
    They work fine with decent callipers and kids weights... the only downside is they bend easily which can be an issue if you throw them in the car or use a shuttle where they rub the trailer. Ollie is still using his on the Norco despite me offering to change them for some spare icetech 160ís I have spare... they stop him as fast he he wants (or as fast as an aggressive DH tyre can stop him in 2.5 width... )

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-XtC View Post
    I ended up with a Thomson on my sons bike. It still requires he bounces his weight to get it down but at least he can.
    my son also bounces to get the post down and looks like he is using his clip in pedals to assist as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    That is not exactly a ringing endorsement
    Itís hardly a DH carcass but it weighs 1/3rd of the weight...
    I hate to tempt fate but my lad has never punctured anything that didnít seal and he rides some ...I stick bigger tyres on for some stuff but thatís really to protect the rims if he cases a big jump onto hardpack with rocks.. but one of his mates has one on the front racing and riding park. Heís landing 40í jumps on the rocket Ron.

The main weakness are if you ride sharp rocks .. and lack of rim protection.
    If you use a reduced spoke wheel they will mostly outlast the rim.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    my son also bounces to get the post down and looks like he is using his clip in pedals to assist as well.
    Another technique that works is grab the chainstay and downtube and chest on the saddle... he does this when heís racing DH and gets off a shuttle next to the start gate with the seat up... (itís much easier to get the bike on the shuttle with the seat up which is why itís up)

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just seeing your post for the first time - very interesting. My daughter needs a 24" bike and I am thinking about going this route. Not quite sure if the wife will go for it, but when my daughter is finished with it, my son will be next in line so we would get lots of years of use out of it.

I gather you went for the option of buying the frame/shock/wheels and adding the rest of the components? I'm curious what rear derailleur you are running. I'm a little nervous about how much ground clearance there is with a 10/11/12 speed rear derailleur.

Keep updating this post - I'll be curious to hear what your experience is. Thanks!
    Yes I purchased the frame,fork,wheels and crank set added grips and a lot of questions.Brett really helped me out with the build,just e-mail him with questions.@ Trailcraft, very knowledgeable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I believe we're in the 50 PSI range on Si's TC with the RST fork. He's about 70 lbs currently. It's worked well enough that I haven't fiddled with it. You can also use the compression knob to tweak it some. Pedal wise, we ditched the stockers and went to Chesters + 510's. He's been very happy with that combo. The Ron's are definitely light & thin, but we've been fortunate enough to have minimal issues with the tubeless setup. We had one incident over labor day where he caught a sharp rock just right and completely slashed the rear tire, but honestly I think it would've wrecked anything I had on there and it was due to be replaced anyway. One bonus is that the new ones have held pressure much better than the previous.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Update, my son can not push the dropper down but he can utilize the seat up option.
    Are you using a 27.2 Lev that is shimmed to work in the Pineridge's 30.9 seat tube? If not, all non-27.2 Lev models have a schrader valve under the seat clamp that you can use to adjust the air pressure with a shock pump.

See page 16: http://www.kssuspension.com/wp-conte...-languages.pdf

clip in pedals
    Clipless. Pedals you clip into are called clipless pedals.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    kingfisher, chester pedals nice!

RMC I have the 30.9 ks lev 125 mm dropper from 2014, on my sons trailcraft. This post also has the problem with getting air in the center chamber of the post causing the "sag" problem I have rebuilt the post 2 times .On the last ride the post even started bouncing around with my 52 pound son on it.
    might upgrade my son to the newer 150 mm ks lev dropper on my current SMASH and get the bike yoke 185 mm dropper?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Nice build!

BTW I'm pretty sure you can run lower pressure in the KS Lev to make it easier to push the seat down.

We live on a super rocky trail in Colorado and have had no problems with rocket rons to date (I run one on my bike too). I wouldn't use one for lift access/DH work, but for stuff where you have to pedal up they seem to do just fine.