Trailcraft 24 tire options?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Trailcraft 24 tire options?

I'm not sure how many TC Pineridge owners are on here but for the ones that are I thought I'd see what tire options you all were running? It's about time to change out the RR's on my oldest's bike and I was looking for something a smidge more aggressive/beefier. I did reach out to TC and per their spec it looks like 2.25 is about the limit in the rear with the possibility of a 2.4 up front depending on tire. The stock Rons are 2.1. Schwalbe has a 24" Hans Dampf in the works @ 2.35 but they don't appear to be available yet. There's also the Maxxis DHF/DHR or the Fat Albert but at 2.4" I'm thinking clearance will be an issue, atleast in the rear. The stock Rons have about 1/4" clearance all around, so I'm hoping if I play my cards right I can bump up slightly in size & tread.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    First tire I'd try would be the Maxtion 24" in 2.3. It may work in the back and certainly in the front. 20" is 440g iirc. I think the 24" is 500g. Pretty light but big time better than the RR on the aggressive side. The question is how wide are your rims? Our 20" has an i27 width and the 2.2 Maxtion is fantastic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    We've got away with a lot on the RR's.... (Not on a trail craft but on Stans rims so can't say about clearance)
    We also have another set with the Maxxis and fat Albert...
    The Maxxis is incredibly heavy and the only tire I struggled to seat on the Stans... the 2.5 is also smaller than the fat albert 2.4. The Fat Albert is pretty light considering...

With both on it seriously affects ride distance and speed on flat and climbs...

We have a local loop with a short 1 mile up and down... we would normally get say 10 runs in on the RR's but after 5-6 on the big tires he starts moaning on the climbs even though we then go back down faster.

In short we use the bigger tyres very selectively... and if we didn't have a spare set of wheels I wouldn't want to be stuck permanently with them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The rims are 21mm inside 26 out. Considering the small jump relative to my bikes I wasn't even taking rim width into account. The Brood might be just the ticket, and I totally missed it. Much obliged for that find. Question now is whether or not the 21mm rim will result in a screwy profile.

Steve, thanks for that info. No doubt I think that's where the RRs shine, i.e. they move out quick, are light weight, etc. Basically a solid all-around "good enough" tire, and if bumping to something chunky is really going to drag him I may very well go back with another set of RR. Set up tubeless, they've been extremely reliable for us.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I mean Steve you guys are going fast and hard iirc. I can't imagine running Rocket Rons on my kids bike or my own bike tbh. Summertime its fast and loose. Seems like unnecessary danger. Plus the little guys already have such small tires and therefore only a small patch of tire is touching the ground. Climbing even with the Maxtion is slippery on the dusty steeps. Its not like its hard for these groms to find the limit on a fast turn either. My little guy is drifting enough already (controlled) without going to a XC tire. We just did a DH race last weekend and man...Maxtions are dope and have pretty burly cornering nobs too. Run them tubeless and at like 19psi rear and 15psi front and it should handle the chunder....though we did slash a tire on a rocky table top jump landing (I think the rear was under PSI). Had to hike back out up to the lift as I wasn't carrying a backpack with stuff.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    To be fair MOST of the singletrack we've been on as of late is hardpack with the occasional loose over hard mixed in. I would however like to take him out to some other local places, specifically one with some Enduro runs, and they've got a considerable amount more loose over hard & chunk. Running two wheelsets this late in the growth curve isn't an option for us, as he'll be on a 26" soon enough. Just trying to find something a little more grabby in the meantime. Thanks again for the assistance fellas.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I mean Steve you guys are going fast and hard iirc. I can't imagine running Rocket Rons on my kids bike or my own bike tbh.

I've got several bikes
    I can't imagine running a Mary on my XC bike....

However we also have very different surfaces....
    One of the DH tracks is all-weather... its basically stones set into dirt .. where it isn't it's pure rock garden... its basically an artificial surface

Another DH track (only 40 mins from the first) is natural forest... (mainly)

Tires are completely different between them.... Big knobbly tires get no purchase on the rocks... the MM you can feel it slip on every side knob... its just got nothing to bite into.

On the rocky place, last time I ran my 2.4 Racing Ralph's ... (off my XC bike) and the grip is much better and predictable... however my back and goggles were full of sealant after a couple of runs... but Jnr ran his 2.1 RR's and he either didn't puncture or nothing detectable... He's 1/3 of the weight give or take and the tires are about the same as the Ralph's...

He can also run insanely low pressures...
    Also 2.1 is pretty wide for the weight/height.... if you scale this its like us running a 2.4-2.5 ???

When we go out on the trails it varies a lot... but either way doing 10-12 loops at one of our closest places is just better than 5-6 ... when its wet we do use the bigger tires but then the climbs become less pleasurable.... we might push it to 8-9 but it's with complaining.

When we go on big pedalling day's the RR's are just default... we might take it a little easy on some sections or lack a bit of traction on slippery climbs but overall if the aim is 25 miles and 3000'+ of ascent it's a no brainer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Running two wheelsets this late in the growth curve isn't an option for us, as he'll be on a 26" soon enough.
    Yep... as I say it's a luxury for us but we started hitting the wilder stuff early in the 24 sizes and it resulted in 2 bikes... His FS frame is larger than the XC HT so it will last longer but the side benefit was 2 sets of wheels.

I wouldn't be buying another now... he's been using his FS more for general use as well... and should see out this season on his current XC... but hopefully he'll be able to transition onto 27.5 on an adult XS for his next XC bike.
    (Then steal my wheels...)

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    So I thought I'd update this with some additional info. Si and I were out last weekend and he clipped a rock on his Trailcraft and sliced a great big gash in his rear tire (Rocket Ron 2.1). Since we had "Take a kid mountain biking day" coming on Saturday I rush ordered a Hans Dampf in 24x2.35 off of Amazon. The Hans Dampf is a MASSIVE tire compared to the Ron and the knobbies are probably 50% larger the size. If you're looking for a more enduro grade tire for your kids 24" bike and you've got the clearance it's definitely worth a look.

Now for the bad news. Too big for the Trailcraft. I knew it was a gamble but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway considering I had a good return policy to fall back on. I mounted it up in the rear first and it wasn't even close. Considerably too big. Up front though, the tire fit but not by much. Once I've had a chance to edit the pics and flip them right side up I'll try to post a few but the clearance on the arch was about 1/8" with the outer knobs missing the fork by even less. His front wheel is a tiny bit out of true, and that little bit was enough to make it rub on one spot while spinning. If the wheel was true it'd clear, but just barely. I'm going to go ahead and send it back and eat the shipping but I thought the info was worth passing along. The Brood might clear better, but I'm guessing the difference would literally be in the hundredths of an inch. That brings us back to the Rons or the Vee Crown Gem. If I go with the Vee's I'll try to post pics of those as well. We've had some weather here and the MTB even was rained out so i'll take the weekend to chew on it.