I originally posted this in the Commuting subforum, before I realized MTBR actually has a Riding with Kids subforum... Probably more appropriate here. Here's my question:

My sister just bought a new Specialized Sirrus to ride casually around her neighborhood with her 3-year-old daughter. Therefore, she also bought a child carrier and a rear rack for her bike. (She consulted me as an avid cyclist.) She got a very nice Thule Yepp Nexxt Maxi rack mount child bike seat, based on my recommendation. This seat is designed to clamp directly to the bike's rack. So I told her to make sure to buy a rack from the shop when she picks up the bike and have them install it. They sold her (and installed) a Topeak Uni Super Tourist DX Disc, after she specifically asked for one that would be compatible with the Thule child seat.

She just picked up her new bike, and sent me a picture of the rack where it plainly states "Not for use with child seat" printed on the rack.

I just pulled up the owners manual for this rack on Topeak's website, and it does say in the manual "DO NOT install any child carrier on the rack."

So does anyone know why this Topeak rack would NOT be compatible with a child seat? Or is this just a lawyerly disclaimer? It looks like a pretty hefty rack to be honest. Has anyone used the Topeak Uni Super Tourist rack to attach a child seat?