Thinking of doing a family trip *somewhere"- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2013

Thinking of doing a family trip *somewhere"

Now that my kids are a little older 8 (soon to be 9) and 11 (soon to be 12) I was thinking of ditching the yearly cruise to the Caribbean and start doing some adventurecations. We started this Spring break with a trip to Park City Utah for some skiing and a stop in Moab for hiking. To my surprise my kids were really into it and when I asked which they would prefer, a cruise or another adventure trip, they said "Utah!"....

So that has me thinking now of places to go that would be good for the kids to bike and maybe do some other activities over the course of a week. Somewhere with great scenery but not too technical or long (or hot). Based on the link I found below I started looking at the best mountain bike towns. One place I thought about was Bentonville, AK or Crested Butte, CO. (Moab is definitely on the list but I'm saving that for another time).

Has anyone done one of these kinds of adventurecations? What are your experiences and what advice do you have on planning? Also, my wife bikes a little but we have a 7 month old infant so she probably wont be biking with us. My kids are moderately skilled and can handle most roots and some rocks (no drops). They can ride about 10 miles on mountain and 20 on road.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/a...-biking-towns/
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

Hardtail Steel Forever
    I'm biased but CB is hard to go wrong with. However, it is extremely busy in the summer between around a week or so before July, through most of August. It's typically a good idea to try an line up where you'll be staying well in advance.

When were you looking at going?
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    I'm biased but CB is hard to go wrong with. However, it is extremely busy in the summer between around a week or so before July, through most of August. It's typically a good idea to try an line up where you'll be staying well in advance.

When were you looking at going?
    Yea CB is high on my list. The scenery looks amazing. I was thinking mid to late august just before the kids head back to school.
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonaid View Post
    Yea CB is high on my list. The scenery looks amazing. I was thinking mid to late august just before the kids head back to school.
    The later in August the better. A lot of the country starts school 2 weeks before labor day these days, so anything to allow the summer crowd to dissipate as much as possible will help.

Otherwise, you'll have as much biking as you can handle. The rivers will be really low so not likely good rafting, but the fishing will be great. Tons of hiking as well. If you do any rock climbing or bouldering there's a lot of it in the area as well.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Mackinac Island here in Michigan might be fun and different - whole island is car free, just bikes and horses. Big variety of bike trails from road to single track & plenty to do and see in the town area of the island as well.

Depending on the route you take there's lots to see and good trails in the Michgan Upper Penninsula as well.

https://mynorth.com/2016/05/bike-mackinac-island/

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonaid View Post
    Now that my kids are a little older 8 (soon to be 9) and 11 (soon to be 12) I was thinking of ditching the yearly cruise to the Caribbean and start doing some adventurecations. We started this Spring break with a trip to Park City Utah for some skiing and a stop in Moab for hiking. To my surprise my kids were really into it and when I asked which they would prefer, a cruise or another adventure trip, they said "Utah!"....

So that has me thinking now of places to go that would be good for the kids to bike and maybe do some other activities over the course of a week. Somewhere with great scenery but not too technical or long (or hot). Based on the link I found below I started looking at the best mountain bike towns. One place I thought about was Bentonville, AK or Crested Butte, CO. (Moab is definitely on the list but I'm saving that for another time).

Has anyone done one of these kinds of adventurecations? What are your experiences and what advice do you have on planning? Also, my wife bikes a little but we have a 7 month old infant so she probably wont be biking with us. My kids are moderately skilled and can handle most roots and some rocks (no drops). They can ride about 10 miles on mountain and 20 on road.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/a...-biking-towns/
    I live in NWA and we took a family "vacation" to Bentonville. It was great. There is so much to do. Definitely worth a look.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    If you're going to do Bentonville at that time of year, I'd highly recommend finding a lake house in Bella Vista, which is where we tend to spend our weekends (inlaws have a lake house on Loch Lomond).

It can be hot and muggy that time of year in Arkansas (plus bugs plus poison ivy), but don't let that stop you. We generally bike until noon then hit the lake/pool for the rest of the day, then fish from dusk to evening. I can't stress enough that access to water of some kind (whether river, lake or pool) is kind of essential for outdoor summer recreation in Arkansas.

Santa Fe, NM is also really really nice in the summertime, and my family goes pretty much every year in either Spring or Summer. Lots to do for those who don't like to bike, but La Tierra trails are extremely close to the city (and good for kids) for those who do. Could also head up to Durango or Telluride from there, as they're fairly close.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Ah so many options. Thanks for chiming in. Thanks Tim for the info on Mackinac Island I'll definitely start investigating it. As for CB and Bentonville, I'm torn. I'm thinking of going late August, probably from the 22 to September. Bummer, rafting would have been a great thing to do.
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    If you liked skiing Park City in March, and you like bikes, you'll love biking Park City in August.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Lots of fun stuff on the front range in Colorado.

If you stay in Golden CO you have access to the best of Colorado 4

In boulder there is valmont bike park, (30 min drive)
    Keystone (1 hour drive)
    Peak to Planes Trail (out of Golden)
    Golden also has great MTBiking on trails like Apex.
    There is a cool river that runs through golden

Also, you may consider Fruita. It has great trails but can get hot in mid summer

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Jasper

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Brevard, NC is another nice option. We go every year in July. Lots of biking in Dupont and Pisgah. Asheville is 40 minutes away and there are tons of waterfalls to hike to. My kids are 7 and 10 for reference.

turtles make me hot
    We travel a lot via Chevy Suburban since my wife doesn't like to fly. This gives me the opportunity to bring bikes. We go to Florida a lot. Just for the record, my wife is NOT an avid cyclist and at the time of this story, my son was probably six.
    I wanted to go to one of my favorite places, Balm Boyette. My wife for some reason decided we should all go. So... Me, my wife, my son, my sister in law, her girlfriend and their daughter all went to Boyette. Florida in July. I made sure everyone had enough water for what I thought we were going to do. My sister in law and family live down there. My wife is from Florida.
    I wanted to do a black diamond trail. I said to my wife, Ride along this main trail until you see a sign that says Abyss. Wait there. That's where I'll come out. Long story short, she blew right past the sign with everyone in tow. I came out and no one was there. A few minutes later, I get an angry phone call asking where I am. Took me about twenty minutes to find them. They rode all the way to to the far end of the place way beyond where I was going to loop around and bring everyone back toward the lot. Needless to say, we did a LOT more distance than I had planned on and my son and his "cousin" were on 20" bikes. Not cool. To say everyone was hot and angry was an understatement.
    I'm only telling this to point out what CAN happen on a not completely familiar trail.
    Another time, in Maine, an "easy" trail was two miles uphill. My son handled it fairly well. My wife, not so much. I don't bring my wife on anything other than green trails or paved paths anymore.
    My son is now thirteen and 6 feet tall. He's becoming a very accomplished rider.
    Anyway, There are great trails in Central Florida, we've been to Blankets Creek near Alfaretta Georgia, and Bradbury Mountain State Park in Maine. All fun places with family trails. Only thing with Florida is there are snakes and gators and such. I keep a good eye when I'm there with my son.
    I like turtles

Student of the Bike
    My family and I have done Durango a few times. Its a great place all the way around for a family. We usually camp on the edge of town at Junction Creek. Our itinerary usually consists of:
    -1 day hiking (up to Gudy's Rest)
    -1 day Rafting (from a DGO outfitter)
    -1 day of riding with kids (lower CO trail area [VERY mellow]) If your kids are more capable than mine were 2-3 yrs ago, then you could ride Telegraph Hill area, or Dry Fork/Hoffeins, or maybe even Hermosa Creek. YMMV
    -1 day of ME riding alone (family does touristy stuff in town)
    -1 day of Jeeping in Silverton region. This is usually the highlight! Aminas Forks is amazing for kids (and adults)

Additionally, I myself went to Bentonville, AR this past October. This place could easily be the winner for a family "riding vacation". There are lots LOTS of trails interconnected by concrete pathways. The (some) trails can be shorter and have fun features like HUGE berms and manageable features that kids would love. There is the RailYard park which has massive amounts of man-made DJ style features that kids dig. I could go on with even more examples and stuff (food, museums, rivers, etc..) The issue you will have is that the heat and humidity will be oppressive. August just is NOT the time to go down to NWA area (I'm from TX and don't mind the heat). But kids, family, people from Northern states will find it miserable.

Later,
    CJB