Superlight kids handlebar- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Superlight kids handlebar

Just picked up a used xs Pivot for my daughter.
    Needs a new cockpit to get it sized down.

Does anybody make a superlight handlebar for kids? I've got a Wren stem and Trailcraft cranks so its already established that this bike has a rider weight limit. If somebody made a 640mm wide bar with a 100# rider limit that would be perfect.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I went with a set of cheap ($20) carbon bars from EBay. They were just over 100g, they appear to be more than enough for a kid, I would even consider a set for my bike as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bikes in jeans
    We did a Chinese carbon one as well, was stupidly light. Paired it with the thin ESI racer's edge grips and it works great for small hands. The chunky's are a hair cheaper and only 2mm thicker as well.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Protaper Junit bars are nice for small hands and can be cut down that small.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by TimTucker View Post
    Protaper Junit bars are nice for small hands and can be cut down that small.
    I second these as a potential option. The combo of bar and grips is around 230g I think which is usually on par with a light carbon bar and adult grips. I think itll be a bit more compliant being alum and small diameter stuff. We've been happy with them on our 24" with wren stem etc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    I second these as a potential option. The combo of bar and grips is around 230g
    Just need to double check, are you sure about that weight?

I just (today!) received the Junit handlebar/grip kombo and they show 327g on the kitchen scale (uncut bar at 680mm). The bar is 260g and grips 67g. Iíll cut the bar to 600mm which should shave a few grams.

Before we used the KCNC SC Bone flat bar (aluminium, 600mm) at 131g with the Spawn/Brood grips at 98g.

So the very nice grip diameter reduction (from 28mm to 22mm) comes with about 100g weight penalty for us 😬

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by wallander View Post

I just (today!) received the Junit handlebar/grip kombo and they show 327g on the kitchen scale (uncut bar at 680mm). The bar is 260g and grips 67g. Iíll cut the bar to 600mm which should shave a few grams.

Before we used the KCNC SC Bone flat bar (aluminium, 600mm) at 131g with the Spawn/Brood grips at 98g.

So the very nice grip diameter reduction (from 28mm to 22mm) comes with about 100g weight penalty for us 😬
    Ah I'm sure you are right and that I'm transposing some numbers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thanks for the ebay lead. Those are super cheap.
    I hate buying bars with no sweep or rise specs since there are some bad ones out there but for under $20 to my door, its worth a try.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wallander View Post

About the same as I'd observed in my prior write-up about them: https://forums.mtbr.com/families-rid...s-1104307.html

I measured 71g grips and 260g for uncut bars (240g after cutting down to 580mm)

The only published spec on their site says "245g" -- not sure what they were measuring to get to that number:
    https://shop.hayesperformance.com/co...ar-grips-combo

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Am I the only one concerned about strength of a chinese carbon bar? I'd hate for a kid to get sliced open on a broken bar from a crash. I initially considered swapping to a carbon bar and seatpost on my kids' bikes for easy weight reduction but just couldn't do it.

Bikes in jeans
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeballs View Post
    Am I the only one concerned about strength of a chinese carbon bar? I'd hate for a kid to get sliced open on a broken bar from a crash. I initially considered swapping to a carbon bar and seatpost on my kids' bikes for easy weight reduction but just couldn't do it.
    You definitely aren't the only one concerned. But IME for a kid, at least the one we got, there's no way they're going to break it under anything close to normal riding. I've tried breaking one, it would take either a defective one or an absolutely spectacular crash.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I wasnít too worried, if you get one, you will be amazed at the quality. I have put a lot of force on this one and it doesnít budge.

I am sure there are some out there that are questionable, but this particular one was impressive.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeballs View Post
    Yes, I would be concerned if a normal weight person was riding it on aggressive trails. I've seen name brand carbon bars break from unimpressive crashes.
    However, for a 75# rider who isnt jumping yet, I think thats a safe application

Student of the Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by buildyourown View Post
    Thanks for the ebay lead. Those are super cheap.
    Did I miss the lead? I see the ebay reference but didn't catch which brand/seller you guys were buying from?

Thanks
    CJB

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F391757208737

This is where I bought mine.

Student of the Bike
    Awesome! Thanks for sending.

-CJB

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm using an old school Ritchey narrow Ti bar. Not sure what they go for used ... but mine is 151g for reference.