Spinner Grind 24" forks leaking oil- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2019

Spinner Grind 24" forks leaking oil

The Spinner Grind 24" forks that came on my son's brand new Vitus Nucleus have been weeping some oil. Does this indicate something wrong from the factory? Something that might have gotten borked in transport? Normal for these forks? I've not experienced this with other forks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spinner Grind 24" forks leaking oil-img_5106.jpg  

~~~~~~~~
    Was that your boy whose picture I just saw from Shaums camp in B-ham doing the drop? My kid did one curb drop on that fork/bike and we ordered a Suntour to replace it. One issue is the seals, a seal that is tight enough to keep the oil in will also limit the suppleness of the fork. Welcome to the world of kids suspension!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    One of my kid's friends has a Grind 300 that came on a Kotori 20. It leaks oil with brand new seals. Gross and unsightly, but the fork should still work fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck View Post
    One issue is the seals, a seal that is tight enough to keep the oil in will also limit the suppleness of the fork. Welcome to the world of kids suspension!
    Ahhh, that's an interesting point.
    Last edited by CascadiaPNW; 07-12-2019 at 10:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by RMCDan View Post
    Gross and unsightly, but the fork should still work fine.
    And if that's the case, so be it. The fork seems to work just fine for him. If it leaks a little, I guess that's no big deal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'd actually be less worried about the slight amount of oil coming out than the dirt getting in. You might want to do a earlier initial service to see if the oil looks very contaminated. In the meantime wipe off the stanchions regularly and keep the seals clean (spray silicone lube on stanchions, compress fork a few times, and wipe off the crud that comes up).

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The spinner forks don't really have lower oil, just grease from the ones I have seen. Grease is basically oil held in some type of binder. The seals on Spinner forks aren't great to bad.

I'd say wipe off the grease. There will be some dirt getting pulled past the seals. It's quick and mostly painless to pull off the lowers and wipe the dirt out of the seals and add some new grease.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by the.vault View Post
    I'd say wipe off the grease. There will be some dirt getting pulled past the seals. It's quick and mostly painless to pull off the lowers and wipe the dirt out of the seals and add some new grease.
    Any thoughts on how often I might want to do this?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    wipe off the grease every ride.

I just pulled the lowers off on son's bike. He's on a 20 inch. The seals were dirty. I put in some new grease and the fork felt the same. Kind of poopy. I think fresh grease and wiping the seals will mostly keep the stanchions from getting scratched. Not make the fork great.

I don't have a great suggestion. Every 10 rides. When it's time to change a tire. If you're adventurous you can teach your kid how to do it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    wipe off the grease every ride.
    Sorry, I should have clarified, I meant for pulling the lowers.

I don't have a great suggestion. Every 10 rides. When it's time to change a tire. If you're adventurous you can teach your kid how to do it.
    Cool, thanks.