Specialized riprock 24"- Mtbr.com
    Roll Tide
    Jan 2019

Specialized riprock 24"

Buying my soon to be 10 year old his first mountain bike. After looking at and trying out a few different bikes in my price range my son has decided he likes the riprock the best. I'm sure a few of you guys have experience with this model and wanted some feedback. He will be growing into adult size bikes within the next couple years it's looking like so I didn't want to spend alot on his first mountain bike but still want to give him a good foundation to learn on.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Psa: do not buy a Riprock. It's an expensive crappy bike. I've been around a bunch of these with kids on the mtb team.

-cranks are too long (spendy to fix)
    -fork is hot garbage (it doesn't work)
    -tires and wheels are super heavy
    -69d HTA on a hardtail is dangerous
    -brakes suck and aren't hydro
    -the chainstays are almost as long as my buddies 29er (bad)
    -the reach is too short
    -nearly 30lbs

I'd ping chainreaction cycles and see when the Vitus 24" Nucleus is back in stock. 479$ shipped, no duty, 5 day arrival. It's a proper mtb hardtail. It's not perfect but it's the first of its kind under 500$ and better than all of the bikes up to about 800$ for a hardtail.

-cranks are right
    -9sp
    -legit air fork
    -25lbs I think
    -decent tires
    -hydro disk brakes
    -67d HTA
    -Geo is better
    -cheap for airfork hardtail.

Now any kid can ride any bike to a degree but it doesnt mean it's the ideal bike. If you watch them back to back on a proper bike on a real blue/black trail with chunder etc and some climbs... it's night and day. Just my opinion but it's more than just "we bought x, therefor x is great". Fwiw I don't own any of those. We almost bought Riprock and bought a Spawn Yama Jama after going down the rabbit hole. I think that Vitus bike is really close enough to the 1100$ Yama Jama for many kids. Hopefully it's back in stock soon or coming out with updated model/colors. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I was browsing the Vitus 24 Bike and added it to my cart just to check the final price. It seems they are not offering free shipping anymore since I'm seeing a 43usd delivery charge. I tried the same for a Vitus 20 Bike and same price for delivery.

*Update: Talked to their live chat, its still free shipping. They are having a few issues with the website that's why its reflecting a fee.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My kid has a 24" riprock she doesn't ride realy techy singletrack but she has been happy with it. The wieght of tires will most certainly wear on a kid that age. Someone on here changes theres over to 26 for their kid and that seemed to work for them fine as well.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

Roll Tide
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by HEMIjer View Post
    My kid has a 24" riprock she doesn't ride realy techy singletrack but she has been happy with it. The wieght of tires will most certainly wear on a kid that age. Someone on here changes theres over to 26 for their kid and that seemed to work for them fine as well.
    Thank you very much