Spawn Rokk 24" - first impressions and tweaks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Cool-blue Rhythm Spawn Rokk 24" - first impressions and tweaks

Pre-ordered the new Spawn Rokk 24" for my 53lbs 50.5" tall 8 year old. It arrived in mid July as advertised and I've been fiddling with it for the past couple of weeks. It's beautiful! It's ridiculously plush for a kid. Bone stock, straight onto the scale, it comes in at 29.44 lbs.

Mods I made right away:

- Tires: Maxxis DHF 3C EXO to replace Brood Maxtion DH. No solid reason aside from the DHF's being a trusted kick-ass tire. The Brood Maxtions have been great on the 20" Rokkusuta. 0 weight difference (DHFs and Maxtions each are 750g on my scale).

- Tires: Tubeless. Save 200g per wheel thanks to the tubes.

- Seatpost/Saddle: OneUp V2 120mm dropper with SDG Fly Jr. The 33mm stack height is super low compared to others, important cuz my kid barely fits this bike. 120mm is perfect for now, fully slammed to be as low as possible for riding down, and fully up happens to be just right for climbing. At 53 lbs, he's just barely heavy enough to get it to lower by sitting on it. Unlike his old KS Lev Integra, he can't use his hand to push down the OneUp dropper. It was a really tricky install but with some crafty engineering I got it to work; curious if other people had any issues with a dropper in this frame. About 800g including saddle, dropper, wire, and remote, versus 435g for the stock post/saddle.

- Brakes: SRAM Guide RS instead of SRAM Level T. We spend a bunch of days at Whistler Bike Park each season, so the upgrade is nice. As well, my bike and my younger son's 20" Rokkusuta already have Guide brakes, so it'll be nice to only have to stock Guide pads and a bleeding edge syringe. 0 weight difference.

- Grips: ODI SDG's instead of Brood 140mm. Cuz the Brood's are 1.5 cm longer than any adult grip I've ever seen, and hence ridiculously wide for my kid.

- Fork: 'Fix' the Rockshox Reba RL 27.5, and remove the stock token. The fork had issues out of the box and would not extend to full length, especially at 30 psi, which is appropriate for a 53 lbs rider. Searching the internet, I learned the trick of removing the air cap and stretching out the fork vigorously until a sucking oil sound is heard. After that the fork worked so beautifully!!! 140mm travel is bottomless for a kid, so I took out the one stock token for now. We'll see if he ever bottoms out hard and I'll reconsider if so, but right now he's at about 95% travel on a 3 foot drop to flat concrete.

- Mud guard: Ass Savers Mudder. I love its clean crisp lines.

- Bash guard: on the ToDo list. Cuz the ISCG-05 one I had won't fit. The frame uses the outdated ISCG-03/old pattern. Puzzles me why. Will likely get a Blackspire Crusher.

After all those changes, the bike weighs in at 29.78 lbs. I'm super happy with it now and of course my son loves it. The suspension is super plush and he's rocking our local North Shore trails on it - both climbing and descending. Looking forward to our first Whistler Bike Park day on it this weekend!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spawn Rokk 24" - first impressions and tweaks-img_20190801_233029.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thank you for the review. Very helpful.

Trying to decide between this and a TC Maxwell.

Wish there was something a bit in between (lighter 120 or 140 travel).

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by cakemonster View Post
    Thank you for the review. Very helpful.

Trying to decide between this and a TC Maxwell.

There is one but it might be a bit of a pain to get over to the US. VPace Moritz24"

https://www.vpace.de/produkt/moritz2...r-trail-fully/

I don't love the geometry or the look of it but its not a bad option if you can get one.. No idea why they have to make the rear ends so long for little kid bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cakemonster View Post
    Yeah, lighter would definitely be nicer... While I'm very conscious of weight, I try not to get hung up on it. At the end of the day, a kid will ride a bike well regardless of a few lbs difference. I load a 22 oz water bottle (additional 1.5 lbs) on my kids' hardtail and he's never said anything, nor experienced anything different than when the bottle's not there. Likewise on my own bike - i can't tell if my water bottle's full or empty. I just ride... and it's super fun!

I typically ride with a backpack containing all the tools, snacks, water, arm/knee pads (on the way up) for us so my kids don't have to carry anything... much easier and cheaper than trying to shave two or three pounds on the bike. Hee hee

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Thanks for the awesome review, super helpful. Since you seem to also have experience with the Rokkusuta, what do you think about the Rokk vs the Rokkusuta?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRoadSouth View Post
    Thanks for the awesome review, super helpful. Since you seem to also have experience with the Rokkusuta, what do you think about the Rokk vs the Rokkusuta?
    The 24" Rokk versus the 24" Rokkusuta...

• The biggest challenge I had is that my son is officially too short for either bike; the Rokkusuta's horizontal top tube length is 63mm longer which makes it much harder to reach the handles for an undersized kid.
    • The Rokk's got a better climbing ratio: 11 spd, 42t cog and 32t up front. Rokkusuta: 10 spd with a 36t cog in the back and 34t up front.
    • The Rokkusuta comes with Sram Guide R brakes which are superior to the Sram Level T brakes on the Rokk.
    • The Rockshox shock (and the Rokk's frame) and fork are way better than the X-Fusions on the Rokkusuta.
    • IIRC the seat post insertion depth is shorter on the Rokkusuta, limiting the dropper choices more than on the Rokk.

Those are the key differences that mattered to me. Hope that helps!

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by CeUnit View Post
    The 24" Rokk versus the 24" Rokkusuta...

• The biggest challenge I had is that my son is officially too short for either bike; the Rokkusuta's horizontal top tube length is 63mm longer which makes it much harder to reach the handles for an undersized kid.
    • The Rokk's got a better climbing ratio: 11 spd, 42t cog and 32t up front. Rokkusuta: 10 spd with a 36t cog in the back and 34t up front.
    • The Rokkusuta comes with Sram Guide R brakes which are superior to the Sram Level T brakes on the Rokk.
    • The Rockshox shock (and the Rokk's frame) and fork are way better than the X-Fusions on the Rokkusuta.
    • IIRC the seat post insertion depth is shorter on the Rokkusuta, limiting the dropper choices more than on the Rokk.

Those are the key differences that mattered to me. Hope that helps!
    Thanks again, that is all very helpful.

I spoke with Spawn, in addition to that they also said:
    - Rokkusuta 24" has a slightly more slack geometry (slacker head tube angle and more upright seat tube angle but reach measurement is very similar between the two).
    - Better drivetrain and a RockShox Reba 26" fork on the Rokk

Even with that, I am not 100% convinced of the 24/26 conversion concept due mostly to reach, but I'll need to make a decision soon!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRoadSouth View Post
    Thanks again, that is all very helpful.

I spoke with Spawn, in addition to that they also said:
    - Rokkusuta 24" has a slightly more slack geometry (slacker head tube angle and more upright seat tube angle but reach measurement is very similar between the two).
    - Better drivetrain and a RockShox Reba 26" fork on the Rokk

Even with that, I am not 100% convinced of the 24/26 conversion concept due mostly to reach, but I'll need to make a decision soon!
    Its actually the 27.5 RebaFork iirc, not the new kids specific 26" Reba. That 27.5 adult fork is still a nice fork and its easy to find someone to custom tune Rockshox stuff if you wanted to. The geo conversion stuff is always a compromise (reach never changes etc). The thing to consider about the Rokk is the backend is longer than many XL 29ers today at 438mm for 24" wheel setup. In the 26" mode the 450mm chainstay length is very close to even the Pole Machine's 455mm, which is very bizarre as that Pole bike is one of the longest on the planet. In practice, something closer to 390mm+- works really well.