Smallest lightweight/airy fullface?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Smallest lightweight/airy fullface?

Now that there are a handfull of lightweight, highly vented fullface helmets on the market, I'd like to know which models are the smallest and get some feedback from those with small kids who have tried them. My 9 year old daughter (small for her age) tried on the smallest tld stage helmet while we were in Brevard last weekend but it was a bit too big.

mtbr member
    Bell sanction is supposed to be the lightest and comes in XS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I'm referring to the TLD Stage, Fox Proframe, IXS Trigger, Endura MT500, etc. I saw at least a couple small kids in a proframe on my last bike park trip.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I have ordered the small/ medium iXS Trigger FF for my wife and will definitely stick it on my 7 year old girls head just to see where fitment is at. Pretty sure it's going to be too large right now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Hugely popular with small kids in my area (Whistler/Vancouver) is the Bell Super 3R. It's light (780g) and airy (23 vents) and unlike the downhill rated FF's, has a dial adjustment like most XC helmets so you can adjust as your child grows. Both my kids have been riding with them for a few years (we have the older 2R version).

The helmet has pads at the temples that can be removed if the fit is too narrow. I had to take these out for myself and for my older son. At the time my younger son's head was still too small, so I doubled up the pads and he was good to go.

The kids have been mountain biking 2-3 times per week for several years and the helmets have proven its worth for us.

One might be concerned it's not a proper DH rating, but it's ok with me given my kids are 40-60 lbs. They don't require a helmet that's rated for a large adult rider.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I just had my 8 year old try on a small ProFrame 2 days ago...the thickest cheek pads were almost too thick. The next size pad fit pretty well. My son is pretty skinny, but has a normal size melon. I'd guess the small could fit some kids as young as 6.

I'd hate to buy without trying one on, but if your kid is 9, I think you could get a proframe with some certainty.

The Fox's come with 3-4 different sizes of pads (cheek and for the top of the helmet) so you should probably get a decent amount of longevity out of it.

The TLD XS he tried on was a little loose around the jaw, BTW. While it was noticeably lighter than the Fox, the added cost and the sloppy fit made it a poor choice for us.
    Last edited by tomson75; 09-03-2019 at 03:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I just received an iXS Trigger FF in a Sm/ Md that I ordered for my wife. Not even close. Super loose on her head. No reason to even try it on my 7 year old.

In fact it fits me 5'11" 180# average build perfectly. I'm going to keep it for me and sell off my Fox ProFrame. The new iXS Trigger FF feels silly light on my head. It's weird how light it is.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'll 2nd the 3R suggestion. Great helmet...quite light, very adjustable, and the removable chin bar is nice for neighborhood/greenway use.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    FYI, Super Air R was just announced -- only 676g vs. 784g for the Super 3 R:
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-...il-helmet.html

mtbr member
    My 7 years old has a Bell Super 3R in S size, fit perfect.
    SC Megatower, SC Hightower LT(sold) , SC Tallboy 3(sold), Scott Genius, Commencal Meta HT

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Just ordered a Small Super 3R for my wife and kid to share.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    I just received an iXS Trigger FF in a Sm/ Md that I ordered for my wife. Not even close. Super loose on her head. No reason to even try it on my 7 year old.

In fact it fits me 5'11" 180# average build perfectly. I'm going to keep it for me and sell off my Fox ProFrame. The new iXS Trigger FF feels silly light on my head. It's weird how light it is.
    That's too bad they run so large. My wife just ordered one as well. If it's that much lighter then the proframe I may end up doing the same as you (though I do really like the red/white/black color combo of my proframe).

That bell super air looks like it may be the ticket (if if fits them). With the detachable chin bar, it should be the only helmet they need.