Seatpost lenght on Hotrock 16"- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Seatpost lenght on Hotrock 16"

I have an older Hotrock 16" c.5yrs? which is bog standard. My 5 yo is not particularly tall either but I've got the seat post up as high as it will go (still below the stem height) and her legs are already bent at full extension (and I was hoping she'd ride it for another year cause its taken a while to get her confident enough to ride it by herself without the trailgator). It seems like they made it 2" too short.

Do the kids just have to stand on these bikes like a BMX if they want to pedal uphill or have others found a seatpost solution that works (given the seat seems to attach directly to the post)?

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Surprised by this. The seatpost on my sons Hotrock 16" was 400mm+
    It was too long when he first started riding...the post would bottom out against the BB shell when the saddle barely below the stem..so I had to run a shorter post for the first season.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    There are loads of sources out there for replacement seat posts dirt cheap. Standing to get up a rise isn't a bad idea either. One of the most important first skills to learn for kids is how to stand and pedal. Along with coasting and standing over obstacles (like at a pump track). It will do wonders for her coordination and balance.

Anytime we are playing bikes and not "riding bikes" I slam the seat on my twins bikes to encourage them to stand up.

That being said, I presume she can reach the ground with her feet at the current seat height? If it were higher, could she still comfortably reach? I know that can be an important factor for the younger ones. Leg extension and a higher seat can come a little later.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SactoGeoff View Post
    That being said, I presume she can reach the ground with her feet at the current seat height? If it were higher, could she still comfortably reach? I know that can be an important factor for the younger ones. Leg extension and a higher seat can come a little later.
    Can just touch with tip toes but that is an important point about the ability for the her to be comfortable reaching the ground is more important than efficient pedaling.

I measure it at 180mm long (from bottom of seat to the end of the post) and not sure where you would put the rest of a 400mm post given the short seattube?
    Seatpost lenght on Hotrock 16"-20180419_210336.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by lukeNZ View Post
    Can just touch with tip toes but that is an important point about the ability for the her to be comfortable reaching the ground is more important than efficient pedaling.

I measure it at 180mm long (from bottom of seat to the end of the post) and not sure where you would put the rest of a 400mm post given the short seattube?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180419_210336.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	1193751
    Well, you can just buy a 400mm and cut it down to suit you. But for that bike, with the seat that high, I would retire the bike. Put a freewheel on it ($40), slam the seat and use it for the bike park/pump track as a BMX substitute. To help build skills.

Then go shop around for a 20" bike for her. But keep the old bike for playing around on.