Rocky Mountain Vertex 20" or Norco Charger 2.1 20" ??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Rocky Mountain Vertex 20" or Norco Charger 2.1 20" ??

Both of these bikes seem pretty nice for under 700$.

Vertex Youth | Rocky Mountain Bicycles

Norco Bicycles

Any significant difference that is much better? I don't a whole lot about either of the forks. Though I think they are pretty decent.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quick glance - both bikes have pro/cons. Pretty equally matched though.

Forks are pretty much equal. Vertex has more travel. Spinner has lockout. Not sure about the SR XCM Fork and lockout.
    Frames appear equal
    Rear triangles have same exact chainstay length (both longer than the Spawn Yama Jama though)
    I can't see the gearing on the Norco, but it looks like the Vertex is sensibly low @ 28t.
    Tires are equal
    Shifters - both have Altus trigger
    Pedals -Does the Vertex come with pedals? None listed but guessing they are plastic jobbers.
    I'd find out if the rims are designed for tubless on either bike.

Looks like they checked each other's homework before taking the test. Both are nice bikes for sure.

Maybe just the slightest edge to the Vertex IMHO. I'd be curious to know their respective weights.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Agreed, tuff call on this comparison. I like the paint job better on the vertex. Ask the kid which one they like better. Both are nice rides.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018

Cool-blue Rhythm

I know this is an older post, but I thought that I would relay the specs I got from a Norco representative on the 2018 Charger 2.1 crank for others who see this, since the #s aren't clearly listed. The narrow-wide 28T is great, but I was surprised by the 140mm crank arms--too long. Note that their website says 132.

From the Rep: "The Charger 20" bike will have a Samox AC-13 crank. It will come with it's own direct mount 28T narrow-wide chain-ring and with 140mm long crank arms."

A dealer told me that the 2018 Vertex comes with 140mm cranks as well as the 28T chainring.

Also, the standover height on the Vertex is almost 23.5 inches--too tall for many 6-year-old inseams. Although it may last longer for a 7 or 8 year old. Reach is very similar.

Standover:
    Vertex: 593
    Norco: 455

Reach
    Vertex: 313
    Norco: 310
    Last edited by Rooty; 03-17-2018 at 02:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I was choosing between these 2 bikes as they were the main choices locally, the yama jama is a really nice bike, but was an extra $550 CAD so out of my price range.

Ended up buying the RM Vertex, they're both very similar bikes, and great spec for the price.
    I went for the Vertex because: -
    $50 cheaper than the Norco
    I prefer the paint job.
    Cable routing - i was never a big fan of exposed cables under the downtube.
    Tires were slightly more blocky (better for trails)

I put some narrower bars (cut down) and switched the seatpost for one without any set back to shorten it a little.
    The pedals that came with it were cheap heavy plastic things, I switched them for wellgo kc008's that were on his last bike. they were 100g lighter to.

My 4.5yr old who is 43" tall can ride it now, hopefully it will last him a few years. coming from a 12" frog bike, which is way too small for him after just 1 summer!
    We could have gone to a 16" bike, but he'd have only got 1 summer out of it again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by snowboardjon View Post
    I was choosing between these 2 bikes as they were the main choices locally, the yama jama is a really nice bike, but was an extra $550 CAD so out of my price range.

Ended up buying the RM Vertex, they're both very similar bikes, and great spec for the price.
    I went for the Vertex because: -
    $50 cheaper than the Norco
    I prefer the paint job.
    Cable routing - i was never a big fan of exposed cables under the downtube.
    Tires were slightly more blocky (better for trails)

I put some narrower bars (cut down) and switched the seatpost for one without any set back to shorten it a little.
    The pedals that came with it were cheap heavy plastic things, I switched them for wellgo kc008's that were on his last bike. they were 100g lighter to.

My 4.5yr old who is 43" tall can ride it now, hopefully it will last him a few years. coming from a 12" frog bike, which is way too small for him after just 1 summer!
    We could have gone to a 16" bike, but he'd have only got 1 summer out of it again.
    Did you get the 2018 or 2017 RM Vertex? I'm curious about the standover height. My son's inseam is 21", so the 2018 Vertex with 23.35" standover could be a stretch.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Are the cranks right on the rocky? 127mm would be good

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    @Rooty
    I went for the 2018 Vertex, shop had the 2017 in stock $50 cheaper, but it had the hub gears, this has a proper 9 speed cassette (we ride uphill regularly)
    With the saddle dropped all the way it's 22" to the top, i checked this because his 14" frog bike was 22" with the saddle all the way at the top (slightly over the min insertion point!!!)

@svinyard
    140mm measuring from centre of BB to centre of pedal axel
    Last edited by snowboardjon; 03-11-2018 at 12:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    Are the cranks right on the rocky? 127mm would be good
    A Rocky dealer recently told me that the 2018 20" Vertex cranks are 140s.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks for updating this thread. I've been eyeing the RM Vertex 20. It looks nice online, but haven't been able to see it in person. Happy with it so far? Do you know the weight, or how the weight compares to the Norco or a Yama Jama? Thanks, appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    It weighed in at 23lbs, which I think is about the same as the Norco, I think the spawn was more like 21.5. So they're all pretty close
    Haven't had too much chance to try the rocky yet, still 6ft snow banks everywhere around town, we're probably 2 months away from hitting singletrack!!
    He's ridden it around on snow covered roads only, but it's been good. Paint quality seems good. Brakes and gears work well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    We picked up a Vertex 20 a few years back, my boy rode it a bit when he was 6 (preferred his 16 Spawn) and then all of 7 years old & should easily fit for all of 8.

Bikes been great, brakes are stellar & fork works good. It was a few pounds lighter than the Kona we had looked at. All I did was a shorter stem & some new pedals.

We started with the 2sp auto rear hub, I then ordered a SRAM 3i internally geared hub & laced it into the old wheel. He loved the change & had no problems with a twist shift (every one says thumb shifters are way easier for kids).

To do it again, I would get a 20 with a real cassette though to start with like the new Vertex has. Its been a really great bike at half the price of a Spawn.
    I enjoy the occasional bicycle ride.