Replacement Wheel for Cleary Hedgehog 16"- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2018

Replacement Wheel for Cleary Hedgehog 16"

I am looking for a good cheap replacement for my sons Cleary 16" rear wheel. We've been doing a ton of riding lately and just the other night we had a spoke go bad. I don't have the know how to adjust that myself and I am trying to avoid going anywhere in person (which sucks because I want to support lLBS but i'm trying to stay home)

SO, i'm looking for a cheaper alternative than buying a new one from cleary, which is $45 bucks plus $18 for shipping. I'm just looking for something cheap and reliable.

thank you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Why not just get a replacement spoke and nipple and replace it yourself

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I was under the impression it wasn't an easy task...?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    When you say "go bad", what happened?

Is it broken or just loose? If it's a little loose you may be able to just tighten with a spoke wrench.

Replacing a single spoke isn't that big of a deal - hardest part will might be measuring if it's broken (you'll just need to take off another from the same side of the hub to measure).

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    sorry, I should have clarified.
    It snapped from the hub end and is still connected on the screw side near the tire. The only part that snapped was the flared part that connects to the hub and keeps it in place.

My apologies for incorrect terminology and vernacular. I am getting back into all of this because my kids love riding...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah. Replacing a spoke is not a big deal. Remove tire, tube and rim strip. Pull out broken spoke, remove spoke head from hub. Measure how long spoke is (try emailing cleary formspoke length, they may even send you a replacement spoke). Replace spoke (paying attention to how it crosses the other spokes), tighten nipple, ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    welp. I contacted cleary and they informed me the spoke size was 130mm-Score!
    Contacted one of my local LBS that cut spokes on site, had curbside pick up with very little contact-Double Score!

Brought it home, installed spoke, and thoroughly F&#=* up the balance of the rim. like, severely. haha. So now i'm back where I started. I'll likely end up waiting til all this quarantine mess is over with and have my LBS do it properly and efficiently and probably pretty inexpensively. But, I wanted to limit my contact and exposure and wanted to try to torture myself and learn something/try something new. My almost 6 year old was pretty disappointed but he looked at me and honestly told me "you tried you're best. it's ok." haha-atleast that was a score!

Thanks for everyone's help. I just wanted to give a brief follow up and say thanks. it'll give me a recurring challenge to attempt every couple of days when I get bored. Thanks again.