Raleigh redux 24- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2018

Raleigh redux 24

This is my first thread on this site, if it needs to be moved, please do so. There is not a lot on this bike to be found on the internet, and I wanted to discuss it. At least share my experience with it. I bought my nephew one of these last year, as an entry level bike for trail riding. It sucks to try and find a decent bike in this size for a decent enough price. I have seen now that Raleigh makes a tokul 24, too late to go back now. Keep in mind I was looking for a disc brake bike with a threadless headset and a replaceable derailleur hanger. I was very happy with the bike out of the box. The thing went together well and ran good with minimal adjustments. The rims are wide, and the blue paint on them and the fork looks great. I have started to make upgrades to make it a more friendly ride for him. I replaced the twist shifter with a 7 speed shimano trigger shifter, and put blue lock on grips on it. I put a set of Schwalbe Black Jack tires on it. I also had an older pair or riser bars that I cut down to fit him and put on. I just bought a SR Suntour xct jr fork I am about to mount tomorrow, if the headset comes in. They have a 10% of code for first time customers, by the way. So it was shipped to my door for under $60. I will post some pictures when I get it done. I just hope this might be helpful for someone out there. I got the bike from Jens Bikes on Ebay for $300 and free shipping, so it's been a fairly cheap experience. He loves the bike and I don't know if you could find a better deal out there. If anyone has experience with this bike please chime in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Hey man, cool bike. Fun project! Side note tho, you don't want that fork if it's the Coil fork. You want the XCR airfork or spinner air fork. That coil fork is super heavy and doesnt function. I've had plenty of experience with them and its very poor.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I know that it is not a very good fork. The air forks in 24" are $100 more than this one. I know it's not necessarily an upgrade from the ridgid fork, but it might relieve some arm pump from the trails. When he gets older and more experienced, he can help pay for a proper mountain bike. If he still wants to ride, that is. Until then, I think he will love it. I doubt he would be able to tell the difference in a colil and air fork now lol.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Those suntour air forks are a great deal. It was only $100 when I bought one for my daughter's 20" bike, and I've noticed it's allowed her to pick up significantly more speed on the trail. Just remember: the faster and more fun your son has, the faster and more fun you'll have too when you ride together.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Get the air fork for sure. No question. Rigid fork is better than the coil one. It's bad and it's super heavy. Arm pump is going to be a non-issue for you at this point. More important for arm pump would be hydraulic brakes tho imo. Hand fatigue can be real on long DH days but I'm guessing you may not be doing 10m DH days etc at this point. Regardless, get the air fork if you can.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Layzangler View Post
    I know that it is not a very good fork. The air forks in 24" are $100 more than this one. I know it's not necessarily an upgrade from the ridgid fork, but it might relieve some arm pump from the trails. When he gets older and more experienced, he can help pay for a proper mountain bike. If he still wants to ride, that is. Until then, I think he will love it. I doubt he would be able to tell the difference in a colil and air fork now lol.
    I understand the dilemma. It is your money. He will definitely be able to tell the difference. The coil fork doesn't work. The air one does. The coil fork adds weight and doesn't compress. It is for looks pretty much.