Questions for Vitus Nucleus 24 owners...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2019

Questions for Vitus Nucleus 24 owners...

Howdy folks. Longtime lurker, first post.

Just put together a Vitus Nucleus 24 for my 9 year old son. A couple of questions for any Nucleus 24 owners out there:

1. Is the bottom bracket supposed to look like this (see photo)? I feel like there's a shield or something missing. How does that not get gummed up with crap? None of my/kids bikes from various companies (Marin, Kona, etc) have this going on.

2. This is my first kid-sized air fork. Does anyone have any thoughts about what air pressure to run? My kid is 80-90 lbs or so. But of course the fork air pressure suggestions only go down to "under 140lbs" on the sticker. Any issue with running the air pressure lower? Or is there a minimum where the fork won't work if you drop it lower?

3. Has anyone moved the brakes way inboard for better 1-finger braking? I feel like my kid could handle that with the hydros and I'd like to get him away from the 2-3 finger braking habits he got into using v-brakes.

4. For the future, has anyone added a dropper? There is obviously cable routing for one, and there are a couple companies offering droppers that should fit. But I'd like to hear if anyone has actually done it successfully.

Thanks all!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Questions for Vitus Nucleus 24 owners...-img_4853.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Bottom bracket is your typical Shimano sealed bearing. Better than most kids bikes. No worries here, same as most adult bikes. Most kids bikes have a semi sealed BB like Specialized (junk).

Setup the air fork with about 20% sag. Measure the distance extended, then have your child stand on it while you hold it. Drop the air till you get about 20% sag. Have them jump it to see if it bottoms out. If so raise the air PSI by 5 and retest. Bottoming out is the only real issue.

There's a hex screw on the inside of the brake lever. Adjust this for a shorter pull for smaller hands. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadiaPNW View Post
    Howdy folks. Longtime lurker, first post.

Just put together a Vitus Nucleus 24 for my 9 year old son. A couple of questions for any Nucleus 24 owners out there:

1. Is the bottom bracket supposed to look like this (see photo)? I feel like there's a shield or something missing. How does that not get gummed up with crap? None of my/kids bikes from various companies (Marin, Kona, etc) have this going on.

2. This is my first kid-sized air fork. Does anyone have any thoughts about what air pressure to run? My kid is 80-90 lbs or so. But of course the fork air pressure suggestions only go down to "under 140lbs" on the sticker. Any issue with running the air pressure lower? Or is there a minimum where the fork won't work if you drop it lower?

3. Has anyone moved the brakes way inboard for better 1-finger braking? I feel like my kid could handle that with the hydros and I'd like to get him away from the 2-3 finger braking habits he got into using v-brakes.

4. For the future, has anyone added a dropper? There is obviously cable routing for one, and there are a couple companies offering droppers that should fit. But I'd like to hear if anyone has actually done it successfully.

Thanks all!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Most kids just like a super low seat. They can stand to pedal hard. My 8yo still refuses to get on over the top bar. He gets on the seat when stopped.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by marx68 View Post
    Bottom bracket is your typical Shimano sealed bearing. Better than most kids bikes. No worries here, same as most adult bikes. Most kids bikes have a semi sealed BB like Specialized (junk).
    Ahhh, cool. Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by marx68 View Post
    Setup the air fork with about 20% sag. Measure the distance extended, then have your child stand on it while you hold it. Drop the air till you get about 20% sag. Have them jump it to see if it bottoms out. If so raise the air PSI by 5 and retest. Bottoming out is the only real issue.
    Rad. Good advice, thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I have no idea why it didn't occur to me to just set up the fork like I would my own fork (sag method etc). I guess I got balled up with the idea that there might be a minimum operating pressure or something.

~~~~~~~~
    Check the wheel bearings, ours were way tight, old school cup and cone.

Air forks and kids. It's a challenge to get the pressure correct. There is a point were too little air won't support the fork so try letting all the air out and compressing the fork then add air until the fork extends to it's correct height. Our kid has to jump curbs etc and is used to his DH bike so when he gets on the vitus we've got to run it firm or he'll bottom it out. We actually switched to the Suntour fork since it is slightly burlier.

Brake levers no big deal to move. Good luck with the one finger, years of hydros and coaches and parents encouraging one finger braking and he still prefers 2 and was all four for a long time, even with perfectly adjusted/bled brakes since he was five. He turns 9 soon and going to the smaller diameter bars so maybe that will help.

This is not our first set of Tektros but struggling with this set to get a good bleed. Lack of bleeder valve doesn't help, adding them to the brakes is on my to do list.

He likes low seat riding, occasionally he'll do a climb with it up. He does ask for a dropper post and we'll put one on there eventually, it will be interesting to see if he has the mass to get it to go down. I'm lucky to have a dropper post expert wife so confident she'll figure out best and cheapest.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I looked up the PDF instructions on my 26” nucleus, and it states a minimum of 50psi, not sure if it’s the same for the 24”.

Is there enough seat post for the dropper? My 9yr old 54” fits the 26” but it will be awhile before he can fit a dropper on it.

~~~~~~~~
    Max insertion about 250mm, that's where the remote hole is in the seat tube. Need to figure out the correct seat height and see if any of the 27.2 options match up.