Pulling the trigger on my son a bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2017

Pulling the trigger on my son a bike

So im bout to buy either one of these bikes im not very tech savy between the two bikes whats the biggest difference other than name and is it worth the 160 more thanks

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...eiYxXQHS8d3A.1

https://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/vertex-jr/2020?tid=77

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Looking at specs to decide on a bike is pretty much a waste of time , the first thing everyone should look at is fit . You don't want to small or too big , but for someone who still growing a little too big is a little more acceptable. Parts wear/break ,frames are until the the next bike. Saying that if the "better" bike comes with an air fork , that worth a lot.If they both come that way then it could be what color he likes better.

mtbr member
    If it comes down to either getting him a bike or shooting him, I'd lean towards getting him the bike. (Unless he doesn't help around the house much(

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Thanks for the info he has a 20 inch now he will be 7 in October he 3 ft 11inchs tall with a 20 inch inseam

Ride what you like!
    If you ask me, the Rocky Mountain is a much better bike, better fork (both are air, the Rocky has a more recognized brand), better parts, etc. Be careful with fit, my guy got a new bike last year for his 8th birthday, it's almost too small already, less than a year later. If the kid fits a larger size, perhaps even a tiny bit too large, it will give him room to grow. Another consideration is shipping and exchange, the Rocky Mountain link is Canadian funds when I view it, don't think BikesDirect is Canadian. That could eat up your savings...
    The revolution starts now
    When you rise above your fear
    And tear the walls around you down
    The revolution starts here

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    If it comes down to either getting him a bike or shooting him, I'd lean towards getting him the bike. (Unless he doesn't help around the house much(

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    But to be fair, we really don't know his son.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    Looking at specs to decide on a bike is pretty much a waste of time , the first thing everyone should look at is fit . You don't want to small or too big , but for someone who still growing a little too big is a little more acceptable. Parts wear/break ,frames are until the the next bike. Saying that if the "better" bike comes with an air fork , that worth a lot.If they both come that way then it could be what color he likes better.
    Wait, you don't think the components (specs) of the bike you are buying is important?

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Vol4lifefamily View Post
    So im bout to buy either one of these bikes im not very tech savy between the two bikes whats the biggest difference other than name and is it worth the 160 more thanks

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...eiYxXQHS8d3A.1

https://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/vertex-jr/2020?tid=77
    I made this exact choice except the last year's version of the nucleon. We went with the Rocky. The spec was similar but the rocky had more progressive geometry, looks like the new version of the nucleon has a lower spec with tektro brakes, and altus components vs. the Rocky.

We swapped in new pedals (crank bros with replaceable pins) and pretty much did nothing else. The rear cassette has a 40t vs. the 36 on the nucleon and being in the PNW climbing gears are pretty important.

The rocky is a really nice bike, with serious performance for a kids bike. We went from a fairly low spec set of 20" bikes that I had modified with large tires, better freewheel range, etc but these bike blow them away. FWIW my kids are around 4'4" and the rocky fits them just on the cusp of being within the height range for the size. They fit well without having to stretch out or looking uncomfortable on them, where they were starting to look squished on their 20" bikes last fall.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I just purchased my son a bike, and these were two of the same final options.

I went with the Vitus Nucleus 24" mostly because of the price. When I bought it a month ago it was $499, as compared to the Vertex at $739. That $240 difference at his age (9) seemed substantial, even though he is a strong rider that has raced in the past.

A month in with the Nucleus and we love it. It seems the price has gone up a bit, but I still think its a tremendous value. If cost was not an object we might have gone with the Rocky, but certainly don't regret my choice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I love the Vertex 20", its totally dialed for the price. The Vertex Jr 24" does have the wrong sized cranks, they look real long in the pic...and is 200$+ dollars more. I like RM a lot (my own bike is a Rocky) but the Vitus does have better tires (Rocket Rons) and correct cranks. The forks will likely be of similar quality. I do like the Geo of the RM bike better but the Vitus isn't horrible tho (backend is a bit long). Hard to say...the Rocky does have better gearing range and nicer Shimano brakes.

Norco Charger 24" isn't bad either and seems to have correctly sized cranks. Cassette range is limited and brakes aren't very nice. Geo and fork are nice tho:

https://www.norco.com/bikes/2019/you...um/charger-24/

A step up would be Spawn Yama Jama but thats more $$$

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I like the Norco the only problem with it is it is out of stock at the moment and is on back order from my local bike shop so would you say the rocky mountain bike is worth the 200 extra thanks guys for all the input I appreciate it

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I like the Norco the only problem with it is it is out of stock at the moment and is on back order from my local bike shop so would you say the rocky mountain bike is worth the 200 extra thanks guys for all the input I appreciate it
    By the time you get the proper cranks on it you are at $900. Spend a little more and get the the YJ. Resale on them is killer too!

Friend has the Vitus and he loves it. All 3 good options.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Ok thanks im gonna call my lbs and see of the have any deals on them i found a norco fluid 2.3ht for 580 downfall is plus size tire and coil spring fork so im sure its gonna weight more

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Stupid question but can I pull the crant off my specialized hot rock and put on the Rocky Mountain bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Ok thanks im gonna call my lbs and see of the have any deals on them i found a norco fluid 2.3ht for 580 downfall is plus size tire and coil spring fork so im sure its gonna weight more
    That Norco Fluid plus bike with coil fork sucks. A buddy has one. Hard pass on that.

I'm with NWA on the two options:

1- If you kid is shredding or you are planning on riding legit trails like 3 days a week...the fancier hardtails are a no brainer. Spawn Yama Jama is prob the ticket there. All of it will be used just like an adult would (kid will ramp up so fast with miles and some skill building). Yeah resale is silly good with them too. If you live near other MTBers you'll usually have 2-3 people inline a year or two in advance. Heck the YT FS Primus is the next step from there (cash $$ too) but is an awesome value imo.

2- If you aren't planning on shredding that hard/much or more XC style...the Vitus is a badass bike for the money and will still do great even if you kid does start to shred. There just isn't a lot wrong with it. Nothing critical.

Boubtful on the Hotrock cranks. You want like 140mm cranks for a 24" bike. Nice two-piece 140mm cranks are like unicorns for OEMs apparently. Cranks from Prevelo are about 120$ and include the crankset, 30t ring and shimano style BB (bottom bracket).

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    I love the Vertex 20", its totally dialed for the price. The Vertex Jr 24" does have the wrong sized cranks, they look real long in the pic...and is 200$+ dollars more. I like RM a lot (my own bike is a Rocky) but the Vitus does have better tires (Rocket Rons) and correct cranks. The forks will likely be of similar quality. I do like the Geo of the RM bike better but the Vitus isn't horrible tho (backend is a bit long). Hard to say...the Rocky does have better gearing range and nicer Shimano brakes.

Norco Charger 24" isn't bad either and seems to have correctly sized cranks. Cassette range is limited and brakes aren't very nice. Geo and fork are nice tho:

https://www.norco.com/bikes/2019/you...um/charger-24/

A step up would be Spawn Yama Jama but thats more $$$
    Our vertexes came with appropriate length cranks that are totally suited to my kids at 4'4". I think I looked when I got them and they are either 150 or 155mm cranks. That seems to be stuck in my head. We also looked at norco but couldn't find a dealer for them locally.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    Our vertexes came with appropriate length cranks that are totally suited to my kids at 4'4". I think I looked when I got them and they are either 150 or 155mm cranks. That seems to be stuck in my head. We also looked at norco but couldn't find a dealer for them locally.
    Our personal experience is a bit different in back to back testing. My kid is the same size-ish. We've had both 155mm and now 140mm on his 24" bike. 140mm were much more appropriate, we could go even shorter I think. 155m had his knees coming up too high and have zero advantage. The BMX calculators I've seen and nearly every other cranks length calculator has kids on 127mm-140mm cranks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I think iv decided just because of money im gonna give the vitus a go i tried calling my lbs but all they wanna sell is a rip rock for 699

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I think iv decided just because of money im gonna give the vitus a go i tried calling my lbs but all they wanna sell is a rip rock for 699
    Good to hear. If he riding Whistler, it may not work, but for most stuff it is a very capable MTB.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    It kills me when you call your local bike shop and ask him about a specific back and they only want to sell you one brand and I keep trying to tell me that plus size tire is the way to go help a kid build confidence

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    It kills me when you call your local bike shop and ask him about a specific back and they only want to sell you one brand and I keep trying to tell me that plus size tire is the way to go help a kid build confidence
    We have a 14" Yoji, a 16" Yoji, a 20" Flow and a 24" YJ and every time we take them in to get worked on, every bike mechanic in the place congregates as if we brought in an alien. Those guys are amazing people and mechanics, but they have no clue when it comes to kids bikes. They just assume that your kid will ride one of their poor kids bikes. They had never even heard of Flow or Spawn. Half the time they fix them for free. They are always blown away.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I may have lucked up and found a norco charger 24 2018 model for 629 shipped from cali

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Yep. I'm as big of a supporter of the LBS as anyone, but no one in our area carries a kid's bike that I would put my kid on again. Luckily we do have a guy here, now, who runs kid clinics and after-school programs who deals for Trailcraft, Woom, and Prevelo. It's still hard to beat the value of a Vitus, though.

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    Our personal experience is a bit different in back to back testing. My kid is the same size-ish. We've had both 155mm and now 140mm on his 24" bike. 140mm were much more appropriate, we could go even shorter I think. 155m had his knees coming up too high and have zero advantage. The BMX calculators I've seen and nearly every other cranks length calculator has kids on 127mm-140mm cranks.
    This is interesting. I will have to watch my kids pedal a little closer to see how they are faring with knee high, if we ever get back on our bikes, damn pandemic.

I did verify these bikes come with 155mm cranks for those interested. They are sourced by Rocky as far as I could determine and are unbranded.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The only trade-off on shorter cranks for kids is that for every X mm shorter the cranks are, the ideal seat height is going to be X mm higher.

Only really an issue if they're less confident and need to be able to put more of their foot down when stopping or are in between bike sizes.

My wife and I are both on 152mm cranks at 5'4" / 5'10" and so far I've been keeping my kids roughly 1 size behind the recommend crank sizing:
    89mm cranks on 14" & 16"
    101mm cranks on 20"

Will likely follow that on with 127mm cranks @ 24" / 140mm cranks @ 26"

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    This is a great place to start for crank length. Note the calculator at the bottom to go with their specific way of measuring. These guys make some awesome stuff too. They even account for clipped vs flats. The kids BMX stuff has just been killing it for some many years. Its stable. Feels like MTB kids stuff is just "whatever was cheap from SRAM/OEM package" at this point...which is often fine for adults, but not kids.

https://heliumbikes.com/tech-articles

My 8yro has 23" inseam with 510's on. 140mm has been fine even on some gnarly longer climbs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    So I just had my local bike shop called me and said the had a riprock comp that he could sell me for six 679.99 thanks on 130 ish dollars more to support local is that just as good as the vitus or better or should i stick with the vitus thanks again for the help i know I ask alot or questions

poser Administrator
    So I just had my local bike shop called me and said the had a riprock comp that he could sell me for six 679.99 thanks on 130 ish dollars more to support local is that just as good as the vitus or better or should i stick with the vitus thanks again for the help i know I ask alot or questions
    I have no experience directly with the riprock but the hydros and the air shock are a great start. If you live in a hilly area, the cassette could be limiting, but otherwise a nice bike.

I have seen kids on plus tire bikes and noticed that the tires track up rounded edges on single track. A similar experience I have had with fat bike tires and if the pressures are too high they can definitely act like basketballs. I would be super critical of the air pressure, similar to your own bike. When I started with my kids they had stock tires and I ran them at 20psi and they had a really hard time climbing and cornering. I lowered their pressures until they were around 9-11psi and it made a huge difference in overall performance. I then sized up the tires to the biggest 20"ers I could find, and went to lower pressure. On their RM's we have 2.25's and I run them around 10psi. It is close enough right now that they don't bounce down fast bumpy trails and they don't fold in the corners. I think I could go lower and I want to do a tubeless conversion this summer to reduce the rotating mass more and increase the compliance.

Not saying the plus tires are bad but they put a lot of mass where kids don't need it and they can self steer more than a narrow tire. Just my 2 cents.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Prevailing wisdom here is that the Riprock is a heavy slug, and you'd be better with the Vitus.

That being said: my kid started with a Riprock 24" as his first "real" bike, and he did fine. It was certainly a slow bike, and climbing was hard with it, but the bike was dependable and he had a lot of fun learning on it. The rolling resistance and weight of the plus-sized tires is a tradeoff, because they do inspire confidence and can be run low enough pressure that they provide some measure of "suspension" in the form of damping. I probably wouldn't get the Riprock again, but it's an okay bike.

For nearly $700, I think there are other options I'd choose, though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Thanks for everybody's help the vitus it is either way I'm sure he'll love it Thanks again for all y'all's help