ProTaper Junit bars & grips- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

ProTaper Junit bars & grips

Haven't seen too much detail on these beyond the initial announcement of the junit line.

Ordered some for my son (4) and they got in last night, just in time for the MTB Skills clinic we had scheduled for today. Had some severe thunderstorms roll in partway through so we didn't get in a lot of riding, but it was at least enough for him to decide that he really likes them.

My observations / first impressions:
    • There are markings for cutting down to 600mm in 10mm increments, but you can safely cut down as far as 580mm. Going further is doable but would require cutting length from the brake / shifter clamp area on the grips.
    • Specs say 245g, but ours measured 260g for the bars and 71g for the grips. Bars were 240g after cutting down to 580mm.
    • They're super thin, even compared to the 19mm stock bars on the Yoji 14. They really do look like bars made for kids hands.
    • With the narrower diameter, I was able to adjust the reach for the brakes in a bit more, which helped with the fit.

We did run into one issue during the install:

The grips are held on by both the brake / shift levers and a VERY tiny screw on the end. The screws use a 2mm Allen wrench. Unfortunately our grips either came missing the screw on one side or my son lost it playing with the grips while I was cutting the bars (pretty high chance it was the latter). Either way, the screw was nowhere to be found on the workbench or floor.

I did some looking around to come up with a substitute and came across some small but hollow screws from an Avid bleed kit that fit. First one I tried snapped in half when I tried to tighten it down as much as the stock screw, but I was able to back it out by applying a little pressure to the end with a 1.5mm Allen wrench. Second attempt I was able to get one tight enough to be confident that the cap at least won't fall off - with the brake lever holding on the other end, we should be OK for now.

Reached out to Hayes support to see about replacement screw(s).

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My son thought they felt really weird at first after riding adult grips for so long, but he prefers them now. I do wish they had used a 2.5 mm screw for the clamp like most lock-ons do. It's a fine line between getting the 2 mm tight enough and stripping it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by RMCDan View Post
    My son thought they felt really weird at first after riding adult grips for so long, but he prefers them now. I do wish they had used a 2.5 mm screw for the clamp like most lock-ons do. It's a fine line between getting the 2 mm tight enough and stripping it.
    Any advice on where to get them? Everywhere we look they are out of stock. We are building a 24" Kotori and this is the missing piece!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    We ordered ours directly from the Hayes site and they came in a few days. The "stock expected in late May" message has been gone from the site for a while now, so they may be back in stock:
    https://shop.hayesperformance.com/co...ar-grips-combo

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by TimTucker View Post
    We ordered ours directly from the Hayes site and they came in a few days. The "stock expected in late May" message has been gone from the site for a while now, so they may be back in stock:
    https://shop.hayesperformance.com/co...ar-grips-combo
    Sorry I was talking about the A2 brake kit.

~~~~~~~~
    Here's what they look like compared to what he was on before.

ProTaper Junit bars & grips-img_20190630_155400.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck View Post
    Here's what they look like compared to what he was on before.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190630_155400.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	352.4 KB 
ID:	1261577
    Yeah so far my kid has really liked them. I mean I have XXL hands and would be ok on those larger grips shown there...it only makes sense that a 7yro would do well with the little ones. Nice that they match your bike there too . I wish they weren't yellow for us.

MTB Dad
    Jun 2018
    I put some on my daughter's (4) Norco Charger about a month or so ago - forgot to post on here. They made a huge difference for her after I cut them to about 600mm.

I was really impressed how much closer I could adjust the brake lever too, I guess I though about it but didn't really consider how much of a difference it would make.

My son (6), who has been shredding on his Flow for over a year now, didn't like them however. I think he's too used to regular sized bars since he's been racing BMX and riding MTB and park.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    My 9yo didn't like them at first but now doesn't want me to change them to standard grips/bars.