Problems with Trailcraft Built Wheelsets?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Problems with Trailcraft Built Wheelsets?

I originally built my son up a pair of 24" wheels using Crest rims, but lost the front wheel on a road trip. So I replaced it with a Trailcraft 24" complete front wheel for my son 16 months ago that had Alex rims. It wasn't as lightweight as what it replaced, but seemed like a good, straight and true build when we received it.

A couple months later, I notice one of the spokes was dangling, and looking at it, half the nipple was still attached to it. So I replaced the nipple and trued it back up. Spoke tensions were all pretty light, as they were initially, as this is the front wheel for a 55 pound boy. But earlier this summer, I was just doing a simple squeeze tension test on the spokes, and two other nipples sheered off. It was by no means an aggressive squeeze, as I have done this 100s of times on his rear wheel and all other wheels in our house. I have hand-built 10 wheelsets, so not a newb to the process. All three nipples looked very similar, with the fracture occurring just a little past the square cross-section was transitioning to the round part.

I just want to see if anyone else has had these issues. My son rides hard, and rides a lot of miles, but he is still just 55 pounds with a SID to lessen the impacts. I'd like to limp by on this wheel, as he'll be on a bigger bike next year, but the last thing I want is something bad to happen. I have broken quite a few spokes in my life, but can only remember one nipple failure. Any info appreciated.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Are they aluminum nipples? One good reason I've always used brass despite the minor weight penalty.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    OP, reads like its very low tension which fatigues the spokes/nipples like crazy. Doesn't surprise me that its shearing nipples. Do you have a tension meter? It doesn't matter if its a 55lb rider or 150lbs, get the spoke tension up near max.

Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    Are they aluminum nipples? One good reason I've always used brass despite the minor weight penalty.
    This has nothing to do with brass vs alu.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Sorry to hear your troubles. I only have limited experience with Spawn Cycels Brood wheels and they’ve been solid. My son outrew them in case you are looking for a near-mint set.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Staktup View Post
    Sorry to hear your troubles. I only have limited experience with Spawn Cycels Brood wheels and they’ve been solid. My son outrew them in case you are looking for a near-mint set.
    Which wheelset are those Spawn wheels? How heavy are they. (I assume they are 24in)

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    Which wheelset are those Spawn wheels? How heavy are they. (I assume they are 24in)
    PM sent

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    OP, reads like its very low tension which fatigues the spokes/nipples like crazy. Doesn't surprise me that its shearing nipples. Do you have a tension meter? It doesn't matter if its a 55lb rider or 150lbs, get the spoke tension up near max.

This has nothing to do with brass vs alu.
    Spoke tension is the same for a 55# vs 150# rider? I usually tension my (210#) wheels to 130kgf, my wife (125#) to 110kgf and my kids around 75kgf. Are you saying that we should all be at 130kgf?

I do have a TM-1, and couple of the spokes were a little under tensioned, but fairly comparable to the rear tire as a whole.

And I believe the nipples are alloy, but not 100% sure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
    Are you saying that we should all be at 130kgf?
    Spoke tension should be at or near the max of the specific rim's spec regardless of the rider. If anything you'd add more tension for a heavier rider and not lower tension for a lighter rider. Tension also drops when a tire is mounted and inflated. The higher the tire pressure the more tension drop there is. Thus if you used low tension it would only get lower when the tire is mounted. Too low of a tension is results in accelerated fatigue of the spokes/nipples.