Pello Rover 20" hardtail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Pello Rover 20" hardtail

For my daughter's 7th birthday/chistmas/hanukkah present I have on order a Pello Rover Hardtail with 40mm air grind fork. Here's the link:

Rover 20" 7 Speed — Pello high quality lightweight kid's bikes

I'm not super concerned about the low travel, as she is still under 40 lbs and can get away with 10psi in her tires (with tube!). She is upgrading from a spawn 16".

It should be ready to ship at the end of next month (at time of order it was Nov 28). So far I've got a 35mm stem and 560mm riser bar on the way to go on. Tires will be blackjack front and sb8 rear. I also found a fun little fender to put on.

Big sis has the spawn 20" rigid bike that will be getting the 80mm eldorado fork when her b-day comes in february. It'll be interesting to see how the bikes compare.

Summer 2019 we'll be taking the kids to highland so I'm hoping we can get plenty of riding in through the winter. I'll update this with photos and whatnot when the bike comes in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Not a bad bike tho any reason you chose this over the Norco Charger 2.1? For about the same money you get a touch more travel, shimano disk brakes and better gearing/drivetrain. That 32t chainring is pretty out of order on the pello.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I did look at the charger, and was really tempted by it since there's a bike shop near my in-laws (brevard) that is a norco dealer.The pello has a lower standover (2-inch difference) and shorter cranks. I can always swap the chainring if climbing is an issue. I think I also saw somewhere that the charger is a little heavier than the pello.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Gotcha. Yeah 140mm cranks aren't ideal for sure. Enjoy the new bikes!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    That looks great, I bet she'll love it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Unfortunately there were some shipping and customs delays, and I hated to keep her waiting. So this is what she ended up with....

2019-01-16_09-07-54 by Eric Ferris, on Flickr

The spawn is a bit long for her, and I think the pello would have been a better fit at this point in time. The flipside is the yama jama will last her a bit longer, and will be more capable as she gains confidence and speed.