Options for sizing up from 14"- what to do- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Options for sizing up from 14"- what to do

I have 2 children, a 6yo son and 4yo daughter.
    Their cycling evolution began with a strider, then my son rode a Cleary Hedgehog(12") for about a year which was later passed to his sister. He next rode a Spawn Banshee(14"), and is still riding it 2 years later.

His sister rides a 14" Spawn Yoji- and likely will for a while. She's small(only in stature) and even after a year, it fits great.

My son is definitely ready for a larger machine. I'm eyeing 20" and 24" options from Spawn and Flow. His inseam is 21".
    At these price points, I'd like the next purchase to last way longer than 24 months. I don't think he needs gearing since we live in Texas(flat!!), but we also ride dirtbikes and I do see a shared benefit from understanding gear selection.

I've condidered downsizing a 26" to 24" as a form of future proofing, but adult sized frame geometry doesn't seem conducive to a child. Not to mention, narrowing bars, new crankset, saddle, etc.

I really like Spawn for scaling down the entire arrangement, especially the frame design. I don't care for the big brands approach to youth sizing. Are Spawn and Flow my best options before spending thousands?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    20" Yama Jama is exceptional. I have a big 6yro and average 4yro. 6yro is about done on his Yama Jama but we've loved it. I wouldn't worry about trying to get more than 24mo out of a bike. They will grow out of them and need a new one. Whether they do it in 24 or 36mo makes no difference...you'll still need to buy the next size.

If he doesn't need gearing...well, you could just get a dirt jumper like Spawn Kotori. Those are SWEET bikes. I'd advise you to just get a Yama Jama tho, its super versatile and has a touch of a DJ bike to it as well. If you are doing a bunch of DJ/Skate Park/BMX style riding...Kotori is a better fit (or maybe even BMX).

FWIW here is my 6yro on 24" Yama Jama (he's 51in). It's his older buddies bike. It felt a little big to him but its a good fit and he'd get use to it fast.
    Options for sizing up from 14"- what to do-24yamajama.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Great pic- dudes gettin after it!

I've been comparing the YJ 24 and Kotori 20. I agree with you and would say he'll likely be riding a YJ 24 next. It's a bit large, but I'm confident he will adapt.

The Flow bikes are pretty sweet too. Haven't seen any other options in this range though. Did find a guy in the PNW converting S or XS adult Raleigh frames to 24" wheels with kid sized components. Neat idea, but not inexpensive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by morganintx View Post
    Great pic- dudes gettin after it!

I've been comparing the YJ 24 and Kotori 20. I agree with you and would say he'll likely be riding a YJ 24 next. It's a bit large, but I'm confident he will adapt.

The Flow bikes are pretty sweet too. Haven't seen any other options in this range though. Did find a guy in the PNW converting S or XS adult Raleigh frames to 24" wheels with kid sized components. Neat idea, but not inexpensive.
    Which guy was this? I'm in Oregon.

This is his 20", he really has to pedal into this drop-in with the small wheels to clear the table. He likes how he can whip the 20" tho...but yeah he'll adjust to the larger bike when we switch out this winter/early spring.
    Options for sizing up from 14"- what to do-wesjumps.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Baird MTB Co? Found him on ebay- https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Yout...4AAOSwCy5bjafu

He’s advanced- great coaching dad! The bigger wheels will be a tremendous help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Considering you have a hand-me-down system in your house, why wouldn't you just go for the 20" with the idea of sizing up, handing down to the little sister. Maybe go with a 20" Kotori this time around. It's light, it can be jumped & you can swap the gear for a trail ride if you want to. If things get crazy, you can always install a drivetrain later. My observation/concern with over-sizing the bike is maneuverability and handling. Especially for the really young ones. Little kids want to jump stuff and "play". More than doing distance. Bigger wheeled bike might be better for distance. But the smaller bike is far better for "play".

20" Kotori, Shredder, Flow single speed/DJ setup is what I'd suggest. Bombproof bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Great thinking...thank you.
    You highlight the real advantage to Flow. I can set him on a 20" wheel now, and if his sister hasnt grown proportionately, just convert to 24 when he's ready.
    Wonder if wheels can be interchanged within the Kotori frames....

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Great thinking...thank you.
    You highlight the real advantage to Flow. I can set him on a 20" wheel now, and if his sister hasnt grown proportionately, just convert to 24 when he's ready.
    Wonder if wheels can be interchanged within the Kotori frames....
    I'd bet you could buy a Korori 24" and order another set of 20" wheels for it & have them fit. Spacing is probably identical. However, the geometry will still be off. This is where Flow makes a lot more sense. Because the geometry is always good.

I think perhaps the Morpheus Vimana Jr and the Slater also come with adjustable dropouts. But don't quote me on that. And I'm pretty sure the whole bike sizing isn't as well thought out as the Flow. But it's something else you might tinker with.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'd recommend not skipping a size particularly as you have a younger sibling to pass down to. I find in my area at least the resale value for good used kids bikes is fantastic so thinking about cost as the purchase minus the resale really helps. We went 12", 16", 20" and now 24" with a mix of Cleary and Spawn bikes with our two kids 3 years apart. One thing I've found that helps on the pass down is getting a neutral frame color and then getting parts (pedals, grips, , quick releases, cable housing etc) of each kids choice (my daughter chose purple, my son blue) and then moving those parts up as they move up frame sizes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Sweet- 2 new to me brands.

The Morpheus appears to have adjustable dropouts(looking at pictures), and the Slater Gateway states capability for 16/18/20/22- wow. Neither have the eccentric headtube like Flow though. Still- more options to evaluate.

Seems like I discover new brands regularly in this section- perhaps an evolving list would be a helpful sticky?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Seems like I discover new brands regularly in this section- perhaps an evolving list would be a helpful sticky?
    That is a good idea. But here's something slightly more useful. Kids bike database.
    https://mtbwithkids.com/kids-mountain-bikes-database/

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    #mindblown