The "official" Kids' Ride- Mtbr.com
    local trails rider

The "official" Kids' Ride

The bike club in my town has been organizing monthly group rides for kids. As usual for their rides, non-members are welcome too.

Yesterday, I was riding in the same woods and managed to catch a glimpse

One of the fathers got some pictures during their stops:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1031774...51/2011062902#

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Looks similar to the Red Zone Cycling Team here in Louisville. They have a race team for road, cx, and mtb but also just regular rides.
    KHS
    Motobecane
    Fisher
    Kona

local trails rider
    I don't know if any of those kids race but most seem to be proudly wearing the club jersey.

That club is not really racing oriented, although there are some who race in its colors. Their main target is to get people riding: organizing a few weekly group rides and a couple of annual events. Both trails and road. Many have CX bikes too but they mainly get use on long easy trails and dirt roads rides. I think they've been doing the Kids' Rides for about two years.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Same deal as Red Zone here it sounds like. They promote sportsmanship, safe biking, etc.

http://www.redzonecycling.com/AboutUs.aspx
    KHS
    Motobecane
    Fisher
    Kona

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I offered to our local mountain biking organization to organize, host and lead group parent-kid rides. Unlike you guys, I got the cold shoulder. Around here, if you have a kid, you're in the lower class of the local mountain bike scene.

local trails rider
    There's a few cycling clubs in my area but they are mainly racing oriented.

The club that does the Kids' Rides got originally started by people who were not much interested in racing. They just wanted to create better opportunities for group rides. They keep it informal but have some structure because it is a Registered Association and they arrange a couple of bigger events.

If the existing MTB organization is not interested, somebody else might be. School, church, whatever you have. Or if you know people whose kids ride bikes, you could put together something informal and see if that could grow into a regular event.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    There is a local organization here that focuses exclusively on youth cycling, but it's predominantly roadie. The local IMBA chapter is predominantly comprised of hard core non-racer riders who don't have kids. On an informal basis, off the top of my head the folks I ride with occasionally either don't have kids or don't want to ride with their kids or their kids don't want to ride. I was hoping that affiliating with an existing club or organization may help find like-minded folks (as well as provide some "cover" for insurance purposes. I don't want to be out there as the ride organizer on my own, have a kid get hurt, and then have a parent sue me.) Kids also want to be with other kids - my 9 year old son will ride, but has a lot more fun when there are other kids to ride with. Alas, there's no real solid option here, despite living in an area where mountain biking is extremely popular.