Not sure what size balance bike to get ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Not sure what size balance bike to get ?

My boy is turning 3 in June, and I want to get him a balance bike, followed by Spawn Yoji 14 in summer.
    He's tall for his age, at 39'', so naturally I would get him 14'' balance bike.
    But he's got younger sister that's 1yr old, so I thought maybe get him 12'' balance bike, so he can pass it down to his sister faster.

Is 12''-14'' size difference important choice in balance bike ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Get a 12" with low minimum saddle height if you want to pass it on.

My son is tall as well and riding a 16" Yoji, but still has fun on his 12" balance bike riding it around the house / driveway / skatepark / pump track.

In our case, we started with a balance bike that had a little higher saddle height for him, but then had to get something a little lower to the ground (Vitus Nippy) for his 2 year old brother to start on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by TimTucker View Post
    Get a 12" with low minimum saddle height if you want to pass it on.

My son is tall as well and riding a 16" Yoji, but still has fun on his 12" balance bike riding it around the house / driveway / skatepark / pump track.

In our case, we started with a balance bike that had a little higher saddle height for him, but then had to get something a little lower to the ground (Vitus Nippy) for his 2 year old brother to start on.
    All of our kids still chose to ride their balance bike some well after they "needed" it. If you can get one that has a place to stand on the frame they can actually learn to pump and "stand" easier as well.

mtbr member
    Got my daughter a Muni. It's not a great bike but for this discussion, it's a lot larger than older brother's Strider but she could still straddle it at age 2, and she's not large. Unlike the Strider, she won't outgrow its size or capability before she's ready to pedal.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You could probably get the spawn now and just take the cranks off and use it as a big balance bike. We started on a strider and it's been a great bike, but I think would be a bit small. That said my 5yr old still takes a spin on the strider from time to time.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk