North Carolina with family and bike trailer (I know)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2019

North Carolina with family and bike trailer (I know)

Hi,

Well be in North Carolina, mid April, for a whole week. Im a decent mountain biker, so Id like to have access to decent trails, but also be able to go for super easy rides with the kids, younger still riding a Strider, so we bring a bike trailer for when the kid gets tired.

Well be camping, anybody has suggestions to where we should setup our camping spot for best access to bike (or hiking) trails? I dont mind driving a little to access more advanced trails.

Afterward, we'll be on some kind of a road-camping trip, so suggestions for any other places that fit those criteria anywhere on the east coast are welcome.

Thanks

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollin'in View Post
    Hi,

Well be in North Carolina, mid April, for a whole week. Im a decent mountain biker, so Id like to have access to decent trails, but also be able to go for super easy rides with the kids, younger still riding a Strider, so we bring a bike trailer for when the kid gets tired.

Well be camping, anybody has suggestions to where we should setup our camping spot for best access to bike (or hiking) trails? I dont mind driving a little to access more advanced trails.

Afterward, we'll be on some kind of a road-camping trip, so suggestions for any other places that fit those criteria anywhere on the east coast are welcome.

Thanks
    where in north carolina? that's going to be an important detail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    We're on the move, so it's pretty open, but the Pisgah National Forest and the surroundings seem to be a hotspot, but I don't wan't to go where I'll be the only one in the family to enjoy the place...

since 4/10/2009
    We're on the move, so it's pretty open, but the Pisgah National Forest and the surroundings seem to be a hotspot, but I don't wan't to go where I'll be the only one in the family to enjoy the place...
    gotcha. Brevard proper and the trails around the ranger station/horse stables might be a hard sell for the rest of the family.

That said, there are some areas where you could have some family-appropriate riding and still have more advanced stuff accessible for you.

Dupont is always a contender when considering this sort of riding. The Guion Farm trailhead has a "kids loop" right near the lot.

Lots of families go to Bent Creek, too. Much of the singletrack will be too much for a trailer, but there are plenty of gated gravel roads through there where that sort of thing would work great.

You could also consider the Trace Ridge area. The lower stuff near the North Mills River campground would be easier for a kid on a strider (mostly short distances to avoid crossing the actual river). If you wanted to go a bit further, however, you could drive up Wash Creek Rd. to the Trace Ridge parking lot. From there, you could ride the gravel down to Hendersonville Reservoir. The gravel road called "Neverending Road" is a fairly mellow out-and-back you could do with the trailer, too.

Bent Creek would probably hit the most things without needing to drive anywhere else, though. Camp at Lake Powhatan (assuming you can get a reservation, it's a popular campground, and not huge), and ride out from camp. Easy.

There are kid-friendly pump tracks at Bent Creek Community Park (near "Bent Creek" trail system, and you can connect there via trails, but a kid on a strider bike won't make that connection, you'll have to drive, though it's free), as well as KOLO Bike Park in Asheville (fee to ride there, but there are 2 pump tracks, some skills obstacles, and 2+ miles of singletrack with some tech).

What are you looking at for lodging? Hotels? AirBNB? Tent camping? RV?

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Whoa! thank you, I'll check all of these options tonight. The camping at Lake Powhatan seems nice for the family. We're camping in tents.

For the more advanced riding part though, from what I get, Brevard seems to be the place to go, is that so? Do you think I could get good serious riding around Bent Creek or a day or two out in Brevard would be a must, even though it's a 45 minutes drive from Lake Powhatan?

since 4/10/2009
    Whoa! thank you, I'll check all of these options tonight. The camping at Lake Powhatan seems nice for the family. We're camping in tents.

For the more advanced riding part though, from what I get, Brevard seems to be the place to go, is that so? Do you think I could get good serious riding around Bent Creek or a day or two out in Brevard would be a must, even though it's a 45 minutes drive from Lake Powhatan?
    There are several different trailheads with different stuff nearest each. The nearest advanced stuff to bent creek would be laurel/pilot off of yellow gap rd. Usually accessible via gravel from bent creek, but bent creek rd is closed for re-grading for now...not sure how long it will take.

Bent creek itself does have some intermediate trail, with more intermediate trail in the trace/spencer/fletcher area. Some fun stuff. As for the more advanced stuff, it depends what you want. A ride including turkeypen is the sort of long, hard, chunky ride you could call a long day. Some other trails offer more enduro-ish sorts of experiences. Long gravel climbs followed by rowdy descents. Not to be ignored is the "other" Pisgah NE of Asheville. Some more rowdy backcountry rides over there.

All depends how you want to prioritize your trip.

Fwiw, for tent camping, Lake Powhatan is probably less desirable. Pretty sure the whole campground will take big rv's so you have that sort of atmosphere. People do tent camp there but it would not be my first choice for such. And like I said, it's popular.

North Mills is pretty much exclusively for tents, popup trailers, and vans. Much more rustic. It's what I would choose for tents if I wanted a campground.

Free roadside sporlts are also an option, but those are scattered all over the forest and are first come first served. If it's ideal camping weather, finding one can be difficult. Not to mention, not everyone who uses those cleans up after themselves. They are a real crapshoot - sometimes literally. Esp after the rainbow gathering types have made their way into the area.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Thanks, I'll check North Mills, seems nice and right in the middle of Asheville / Dupont / Brevard.

Someone else recomended Davidson River campground, nearer to Brevard, seems nice too, I think I'll have to flip some coins here...

Hey, thanks for everything! Have a nice riding season!

since 4/10/2009
    Thanks, I'll check North Mills, seems nice and right in the middle of Asheville / Dupont / Brevard.

Someone else recomended Davidson River campground, nearer to Brevard, seems nice too, I think I'll have to flip some coins here...

Hey, thanks for everything! Have a nice riding season!
    Davidson River is nice, too. But probably more popular than N. Mills. It gets a mix of rv/tent traffic. If you want to be closer to Brevard, you can hop on the greenway and get into downtown from there by bike. That's a nice option for the family that none of the other places have.