Non-boost crankset on sonís new boost bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Non-boost crankset on sonís new boost bike

I need a bit of help figuring out if a crankset will work on my sonís new bike.

My son has just move up to a full size, FS bike on 27.5 wheels. His old bike was a hardtail XS Commencal with 26Ē wheels that we upgraded with some of my old parts. We want to use his old crankset - an orange Race Face Atlas Freeride 104bcd on his new bike. His new bike is a Vitus Sommet with boost spacing (73mm BB, 24mm spindle diameter) Will we be able to use this without issue? Iíve looked at a lot of threads talking about using non-boost cranksets with boost frames and am still a bit confused. He really wants to be able to keep this crankset because of the orange. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermoozer View Post
    I need a bit of help figuring out if a crankset will work on my sonís new bike.

My son has just move up to a full size, FS bike on 27.5 wheels. His old bike was a hardtail XS Commencal with 26Ē wheels that we upgraded with some of my old parts. We want to use his old crankset - an orange Race Face Atlas Freeride 104bcd on his new bike. His new bike is a Vitus Sommet with boost spacing (73mm BB, 24mm spindle diameter) Will we be able to use this without issue? Iíve looked at a lot of threads talking about using non-boost cranksets with boost frames and am still a bit confused. He really wants to be able to keep this crankset because of the orange. Thanks.
    This is a good place to start:

https://www.oneupcomponents.com/page...-and-non-boost

Most of it just comes down to getting an appropriate chainline and having good clearance from the chainstays. OneUp ring comes with some shims to adjust your chainline. 32t seems to be the minimum most people consider for a chainring size to get the clearance you'd need.

That being said, we have a Commencal Clash 24" that has a boosted backend. I put different 140mm cranks/30t ring on it from Prevelo, which I don't think are tuned for a boosted frame. So far it seems great. The shifting works great (Shimano XT). However, I'm going to go and take a second look at all this .

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks. Iíve looked at that link before and the chart says that Race Face Non-Cinch is not compatible with 1x boost setup. This is one of the things that has led to my confusion. I donít know whether is is worth the effort to move the Atlas crankset to my sonís bike if it just isnít going to end up working.

I should probably just try it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermoozer View Post
    Thanks. Iíve looked at that link before and the chart says that Race Face Non-Cinch is not compatible with 1x boost setup. This is one of the things that has led to my confusion. I donít know whether is is worth the effort to move the Atlas crankset to my sonís bike if it just isnít going to end up working.

I should probably just try it.
    Yeah you never know. It may be an entirely non-issue. It just needs to shift well via a decent chainline and not interfere with the stays. I'm no expert on it but thats my rudimentary understanding of it. It only takes a little bit to swap the cranks if the BB is the same Shimano 24mm spindle.

Just be continuous of the spacers on the BB...maybe there is an adjustment there.

mtbr member
    Boost moves the rings and cassette out 3mm vs old standard to clear plus tires... that's really the core of it. I'd say put the bike together and see if the chain rubs the tire in low gear, or if the ring rubs the chain stay, or if the crank strikes. If it doesn't, just don't worry about it.

Are you running it single? If so you can move the ring to the outer side of the crank arm.