Nice 20" Option - 2016 Norco Charger 2.1- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Nice 20" Option - 2016 Norco Charger 2.1

I was looking for a nice entry-level bike for my 6YO. My LBS had a 20" Norco Charger 2.1 in stock. Key features I am pleased with are the Spinner Air fork, Shimano hydraulic disc brakes, a decent derailleur, and weighs in a 22lbs. Since I do not have a parts bin full of extra bike parts or much time to spend building a bike, it was a no-brainer for me. Price-wise it was between a Hotrock Pro and a 6sp Hotrock, so I think it was priced fairly for the specs.

Nice 20" Option - 2016 Norco Charger 2.1-norco-charger.jpg

The hubs/pedals aren't the greatest, so if time frees up for me, I might look into changing those. But I am glad I'm not committed to a project.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I just checked that bike out on the Norco page, pretty decent sled. At 22lbs, I wouldnt change a thing until the little one breaks it.

Good job dad, happy riding!!!
    I enjoy the occasional bicycle ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    After two handed down bikes, including the Oset disc mod'd 16" hotrock we just bought the same bike for my youngest son (4yo). I liked that the chainstay length seemed more proportionate to the overall size (almost 2" shorter than the Specialized). Also the cranks have a 4x104 spider, so a narrow/wide ring and clutch derailleur are easy upgrades. Finally, I think even entry level Shimano brakes are better than most of the competition. One other feature I discovered when I accidentally knocked the bike over onto the bike stand base is that the paint is really tough.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Raivyn View Post
    I was looking for a nice entry-level bike for my 6YO. My LBS had a 20" Norco Charger 2.1 in stock. Key features I am pleased with are the Spinner Air fork, Shimano hydraulic disc brakes, a decent derailleur, and weighs in a 22lbs. Since I do not have a parts bin full of extra bike parts or much time to spend building a bike, it was a no-brainer for me. Price-wise it was between a Hotrock Pro and a 6sp Hotrock, so I think it was priced fairly for the specs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Norco Charger.jpg 
Views:	1644 
Size:	175.2 KB 
ID:	1072225

The hubs/pedals aren't the greatest, so if time frees up for me, I might look into changing those. But I am glad I'm not committed to a project.
    Hey man, I'm looking at this same bike for my 5yr old. How are you liking it now? For about 700$ I have a tough time finding anything comparable without jumping up to 900$+. Is the fork doing a good job on some downhill stuff? My oldest boy is 49" and 50lbs. We are doing some trail riding (up and down), jumps etc and needing something a bit safer and more capable...especially on the downhill.

The one thing I'd like to change when I get it is the tires. I'd like something bigger and more dirt oriented. Any idea how big of a tire I can get on there?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I am also looking at the Charger 2.1 and the Rocky Mountain Vertex, they seem very comparable this year (Rocky has gone away from the 2 gear auto shift). Was 22 pounds with the pedals, reflectors, etc? I read someone said the Vertex was 23.5 back for the 2016 model and I have a suspicion that adding more metal for rear gears and shifters, etc. are going to add more weight to it. If that's the case, I'd pick the Charger. But my daughter would like the colours of the Vertex more.