New Sunrace M9 Juvenile groupset announced- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

New Sunrace M9 Juvenile groupset announced

Anyone else see this? I'm actually a little curious about the clutched rear derailleur for my own bike!

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/sunrac...show-2018.html

SunRace's new M9 Juvenile series is a complete 1 x 9 groupset designed for kids and that can be had with an 11-50, 11-46, or 11-40 cassette. Cranks will come in 140mm or 152mm lengths, with shorter options possibly in the cards down the road, and the 287-gram rear derailleur even has a clutch to keep the chain where it's supposed to be.

Not surprisingly, SunRace has original equipment in mind with the M9 Juvenile group, but they haven't ruled out aftermarket sales, either. No word on pricing, but we hope that this will help get decent 1x drivetrains onto more affordable kids' bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm all for a trigger shifter meant for kids with indication. Gripshift is too big for small hands to operate.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Raises a few questions like why 9sp.... but possibly more important if they don't do aftermarket then how would you replace work/broken components...

I guess they already have the 9sp cassettes ... but if the cranks are "with shorter options possibly in the cards down the road" then what is the chainring mount???
    What's the pull ratio ... when the shorter and mech break what can they be replaced with...??

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-XtC View Post
    Raises a few questions like why 9sp.... but possibly more important if they don't do aftermarket then how would you replace work/broken components...

I guess they already have the 9sp cassettes ... but if the cranks are "with shorter options possibly in the cards down the road" then what is the chainring mount???
    What's the pull ratio ... when the shorter and mech break what can they be replaced with...??
    Yeah wish it was just a nice 10sp with a wider cassette or something. If I recall didn't Sunrace figure out how to do a 9 or 10 cog cassette on OG shimano hub? THAT would be sweet for kids bikes that don't have much clearance with 20-24" wheels. This seems a bit odd, and heavy I'm guessing...especially since a nice 11-42 XT drive train isn't that expensive (cranks aside). I love that OEM's now have a nice 140mm crank option tho.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The cranks sound nice, but I fail to see the point of the RD and cassettes. It doesn't seem to offer anything over the currently available wide-range 10sp stuff.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    Yeah wish it was just a nice 10sp with a wider cassette or something. If I recall didn't Sunrace figure out how to do a 9 or 10 cog cassette on OG shimano hub? THAT would be sweet for kids bikes that don't have much clearance with 20-24" wheels. This seems a bit odd, and heavy I'm guessing...especially since a nice 11-42 XT drive train isn't that expensive (cranks aside). I love that OEM's now have a nice 140mm crank option tho.
    There already are crank options though they seem to come and go.. and 10 sp SLX or even Deore or Zee shifters and mech... (or why not 11 ... ???) once they have the manufacture down as they already do the cost difference if any must be minimal if any... Iím not that convinced there is that much wrong with 9sp with the ranges but just WHY ?? Perhaps just someone in marketing set a price and they decided they had to be less than their 11sp or consumers would question their Ďadultí cassette pricing???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-XtC View Post
    There already are crank options though they seem to come and go.. and 10 sp SLX or even Deore or Zee shifters and mech... (or why not 11 ... ???) once they have the manufacture down as they already do the cost difference if any must be minimal if any...
    Price probably is the root here, just like why Shimano has multiple groupsets that come below Deore like Tourney / Alivio.

Just looking at chains, average price for a KMC 9 speed chain is ~$15 vs ~$20 for a 10 speed chain. If a 9 speed groupset lets you cut $5 on the chain, $5 on the derailleur, and $5 on the cranks vs. a 10 speed, those types of differences add up pretty quick on a $400 bike.

The difference in price will ultimately come down to manufacturing tolerances required getting higher and higher as you add gears and shrink the spacing & width of the cogs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    This is a good start.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TimTucker View Post
    Just looking at chains, average price for a KMC 9 speed chain is ~$15 vs ~$20 for a 10 speed chain. If a 9 speed groupset lets you cut $5 on the chain, $5 on the derailleur, and $5 on the cranks vs. a 10 speed, those types of differences add up pretty quick on a $400 bike.
    But that's retail pricing. OEM wholesale has to be way less of a difference.