New Spawn 24/26" Convertable Bike with growing chainstay and BB adjustment- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

New Spawn 24/26" Convertable Bike with growing chainstay and BB adjustment

This looks interesting. I'm sure the devils in the details here. Seems like a lot of these "Grow" bikes are really just 26" frames with 26" suspension. Flow was really close to getting something special I think. We'll see what this looks like.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx-PTczB5-v/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    This looks interesting. I'm sure the devils in the details here. Seems like a lot of these "Grow" bikes are really just 26" frames with 26" suspension. Flow was really close to getting something special I think. We'll see what this looks like.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx-PTczB5-v/
    Where did flow ever get with those 20/24 & 24/26 FS bikes?

Frame Building Moderator
    Unless there is more to it than a flip chip for the rear end, you're going to have a dramatically different bike when you convert - lowering the BB enough to compensate for a 1" larger radius wheel just by moving the rear axle upwards is going to cause you to have a head angle several degrees slacker. Maybe you can adjust the travel on the fork as well?

The big issue with all of the conversion ideas I've ever seen (and I've thought about building some myself) is that by the time the kid is big enough for the next wheel size up, they really need a longer cockpit/reach/front center as well. You can just slap a longer stem on, but that's far from ideal.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Photos are often deceiving, but the stack looks huge. Definitely curious to find out more details. But, I'm kinda committed to the Clash 24 now regardless. There's also a decent chance that when the time comes I'll just skip 26 altogether and go straight to 27.5.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I’ll just leave this here ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Can't get Propain in the US, Steve.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Unless there is more to it than a flip chip for the rear end, you're going to have a dramatically different bike when you convert - lowering the BB enough to compensate for a 1" larger radius wheel just by moving the rear axle upwards is going to cause you to have a head angle several degrees slacker. Maybe you can adjust the travel on the fork as well?

The big issue with all of the conversion ideas I've ever seen (and I've thought about building some myself) is that by the time the kid is big enough for the next wheel size up, they really need a longer cockpit/reach/front center as well. You can just slap a longer stem on, but that's far from ideal.

-Walt
    I was wondering about this. My sons buddy's little brother has a Rocky Mtn Reaper 24 and it looks pretty long and slack. Just can't escape the long chainstays in the 24" size even with a flip chip.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    I was wondering about this. My sons buddy's little brother has a Rocky Mtn Reaper 24 and it looks pretty long and slack. Just can't escape the long chainstays in the 24" size even with a flip chip.
    And when you convert to 26, the reach shrinks somewhat significantly.