New Prevelo Zulu Four Heir 24"- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2019

New Prevelo Zulu Four Heir 24"

Hi,

There is a new offering in 24" that I am excited about.
    This is the next size I am buying for my boy, currently on a woom 4.

Up until now I was considering only Trailcraft Pineridge or maybe Islabikes Creig.

Please share any information you have about the Prevelo!

It comes with 1x11 gears, 30t x 11t-46t, 140mm cranks. SLX shifter and derailleur. I believe this is the best drivetrain anyone offers.

The weight is 24.9 Lbs without pedals. But it can be dropped 1.5 Lbs immediately by switching to Rocket Ron tires, and perhaps some more if run tubeless. (Is it ready for tubeless? there is no information about this.)

So, my three questions are:
    What else can be done cheaply to drop weight?

Will someone test and review the suspension fork?

Are the Tektro brakes a big detriment?

Lastly, I saw one of the Zulu Two Heir (16") last week and it looks amazing.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I asked Prevelo. The bikes will be tubeless ready when they re-stock and start selling again.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Encinitas Rider View Post
    Hi,

What else can be done cheaply to drop weight?

Thanks!

Looks like a nice bike. Looking at spec the tires, wheels, and probably bar/post/stem can be swapped out to save 3-4 pounds. SLX 11 speed cassette is heavy, like over 500 grams. Crank looks like it is maybe steel so some weight there too. Lots of weight can be taken down in the rotational parts of the bike for sure. But factor in what price will these mods cost are you close to other bikes which are 3-4 pounds lighter stock already?

New Spawn looks nice as well and you should throw that one into the mix. Looks like they are close to being in stock. Anyone get/ask a weight yet?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Shaving weight off a complete bike can be a big rabbit hole and you might want to think about building from scratch or specing out a trailcraft depending on your goals. When I dug into a bunch of different bikes I found that to really get them light I'd have ended up replacing literally every part of the bike but the frame on most complete bikes (Trailcraft excepted as they'll let you spec out a bike I think, but at the time they didn't offer the frame size I needed). I ended up buying a frame and building a bike. I chose a 24/20" mixer with a rigid fork and got it built up at 16lbs. Most complete bikes will have heavy bars, stem, seatpost, wheels, cassette, cranks, BB, grips, etc. Often replacing one part will require replacing a bunch of other stuff. Replacing that 500g cassette with something light will require an XD driver on the hub which probably means a new hub... The situation is somewhat understandable as light stuff is expensive (DT240S hubs alone cost more than most complete kids bikes!).

mtbr member
    May 2019
    You guys are right. I was excited for the gear range, crank size, all dialed in IMO and just the amazing looks of the bike.
    The Spawn, for example, comes with 32t chain ring which I consider too big, and used to come with long cranks (not any more, apparently.)

But the weight is a hard reality.
    Beyond the tires, any other mod is expensive and hardly worth it (the often mentioned rabbit hole.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    New Spawn looks nice as well and you should throw that one into the mix. Looks like they are close to being in stock. Anyone get/ask a weight yet?
    New Spawn 24" is 24lbs. I emailed them with that question yesterday.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    We got the Z Four Heir for our son when he was 11. He is pretty small and I got tired of watching him struggle trying to keep up with us on the trails. I looked at TC, Spawn,....ect and this one I felt was the best value with good components and did not weigh more than my full squish. the Heir is 24 and change pounds and by my math if we switched it tubeless we would drop below 22. The Kenda Kinetic hits my scale at 943 grams and the tube is at 228g. If we switched to a Brood Maxtion at 560g it would drop 2+- pounds. I was waiting for him to wear out the Kenetic before we went tubeless. But he has now out grown the bike... Cant keep em little forever! Bottom line. This has been a great bike for him and his skills have rocketed! Now he can outclimb me and he gets off his bike and giggles at me while he waits. If Prevelo had a 26 I would hands down with zero hesitation buy it for his next bike. for my shameless plug. I have it up for sale in the classifies on this and a few other sites.New Prevelo Zulu Four Heir 24"-img_5835-1-.jpg